Medicine Ball slams

MIsoldier**

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How many of you use medicine ball slams as apart of your conditioning routine?

Are they as effective as sledgehammer work?

What type of workout do you use them with i.e. repetition method, tabata method or part of a circuit?

I used to do them for Judo and found them a bit tougher than sledgehammer work.

We just did them for time, the instructor would say 'go' and we'd do them until he said stop. The majority of our conditioning stuff done in class involved the medicine ball.

I use the medicine ball for a variety of training exercises.

My favorite is to bounce the ball on to the floor in front of me and shoot under it before it hits me coming back down.

Also use it for striking drills.

my home made doesnt bounce for s*it. I'm gonna have to plunk down the 40clams for a store-bought. damn.

I use them in a circuit or sometimes to finish a workout.

If you have any old puzzle mats laying around, stack them on top of one another and bounce it off of those. I've got a 25 lbs medicine ball made from a basketball/sand and covered in Gorilla Tape. It bounces great on 4-5 stacked puzzle mats.
I do slams, puts, wall slams (against a heavybag) regularly. As a matter of fact, I can even do those with a hurt hand.
Thanks!

What size medicine ball does everyone use? I want to do these but want to make sure I get the right ball, I am a 155 lber btw.

What size medicine ball does everyone use? I want to do these but want to make sure I get the right ball, I am a 155 lber btw.

doesn't have to be huge. I tihnk ross used 15-20lbs max on the full throttle dvd as it's all about keeping a quick pace.

i use 12lb for now and little 8lb shots for huckin them some distance

I like going outside on nice days and throwing my medicine ball around. People look at you funny but oh well. One of my favorites is to shoot the medicine ball in their like a basketball. That really kills the shoulders. I also like using the "granny shot" form to throw the ball high in the air.

I've always been afraid I would somehow break my medicine ball doing this, guess I'll try it tomorrow.

I like going outside on nice days and throwing my medicine ball around. People look at you funny but oh well. One of my favorites is to shoot the medicine ball in their like a basketball. That really kills the shoulders. I also like using the "granny shot" form to throw the ball high in the air.

A simple one we used to do is throw the ball for distance, sprint to the ball and throw it back, then repeat.

A simple one we used to do is throw the ball for distance, sprint to the ball and throw it back, then repeat.

I've never done that before. That's a really good idea. Once it warms up here I'll definitly get out and do that one.

My medicine ball is 15lbs. so I could do quick movements with it. I'd like a heavier one but haven't got around to buying/making one. Does anybody have a link showing how to make a medicine ball?

Back