• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mayweather vs Maidana 2 RBR

I like watching Floyd box but I won't be rewatching anything from that card except maybe the Argentinian national anthem.

The jethro tull performance was definitely a highlight
I enjoyed the main event though

I enjoyed it, but it's what we all expected.

Except the people who picked Maidana then disappeared.

I didn't think the holding was excessive...

it wasn't. Floyd tied Marcos when he came in but Marcos had plenty of ops to avoid the clinch by fighting on the outside or jabbing his way in.

I'm way more of a MMA fan than boxing but would rather watch mayweather than any mma fight right now

Bayless didn't ruin the fight or do as terrible a job as many people are saying, but I think he should have warned Floyd for excessive clinching. In terms of breaking the action, I don't think he was in the wrong for the most part (people forget that Maidana actually held and hit a fair amount in the first fight which was a result of poor reffing), but Floyd should have probably been warned at least.

meh, I disagree. I saw Floyd get a couple of warnings for other things and had no issue with those though. Low blow and elbow.

Clinching is iffy. Had Floyd been more passive perhaps and was holding just to avoid fighting or if he were refusing to break clinches. But his offensive output was high.

Again I want to point to Khan vs PEterson which was 100 times the hold fest that this was, and the outrage that so many had that Khan lost points there.

Do I have a problem with events in this fight that happened in 10000000s of other fights? No, I don't. Thats what the ref does when he breaks a clinch. You separate the fighters to a neutral position.

So it's okay for the ref to give one fighter an advantage then? Okay.. just making sure that was your stance..
I get it..Floyd's your fighter.. he can do the same shit that you hate Bhop for doing and it's okay.. because it's Floyd...That's all you had to say

Bayless should have penalized Mayweather for holding.. and alllowed the fighters to fight out of clinches when they could..

But thats not the refs job.The ref is supposed to break the fighters and separate them. What you want is for Bayless to not do his job.

he gave the strategic advantage to Floyd by pushing Maidana out to sea every time he stepped on the beach

He simply followed textbook ref procedure. Sorry. You're wrong here. When Maidana put his arms around Floyd instead of hitting, he was clinching too. = immediate break. When the ref breaks the fighter, he is supposed to separate them.

meh, I disagree. I saw Floyd get a couple of warnings for other things and had no issue with those though. Low blow and elbow.

Clinching is iffy. Had Floyd been more passive perhaps and was holding just to avoid fighting or if he were refusing to break clinches. But his offensive output was high.

Again I want to point to Khan vs PEterson which was 100 times the hold fest that this was, and the outrage that so many had that Khan lost points there.

Khan holds excessively and pushes in just about every fight he is in and I had no problem with him losing points against Peterson. Wlad does it in just about every fight he is involved in, as well. Floyd wasn't nearly as bad as they usually are, but I found he initiated too many clinches tonight and I find that to be a bit of a shame because I like watching him fight on the inside (he is genuinely good at it unlike Wlad and Khan).

So it's okay for the ref to give one fighter an advantage then? Okay.. just making sure that was your stance..
I get it..Floyd's your fighter.. he can do the same shit that you hate Bhop for doing and it's okay.. because it's Floyd...That's all you had to say

Explain how moving the fighters to a neutral position is an advantage. What should he have done?

it wasn't. Floyd tied Marcos when he came in but Marcos had plenty of ops to avoid the clinch by fighting on the outside or jabbing his way in.

How does that work? You jab.. floyd has what he wants.. something to slip and counter... or clinch off of the slip... You fight on the outside.. you play Floyd's game..

it's not acceptable for people to just turn a blind eye to the fact that FLoyd is cheating.. That just takes all of your credibility and shits on it

But thats not the refs job.The ref is supposed to break the fighters and separate them. What you want is for Bayless to not do his job.

He simply followed textbook ref procedure. Sorry. You're wrong here. When Maidana put his arms around Floyd instead of hitting, he was clinching too. = immediate break. When the ref breaks the fighter, he is supposed to separate them.

This is also an important point. I thought Maidana got away with a fair amount of holding and hitting in their first fight.

Khan holds excessively and pushes in just about every fight he is in and I had no problem with him losing points against Peterson. Wlad does it in just about every fight he is involved in, as well. Floyd wasn't nearly as bad as they usually are, but I found he initiated too many clinches tonight and I find that to be a bit of a shame because I like watching him fight on the inside (he is genuinely good at it unlike Wlad and Khan).
I actually thought Khan deserved the point deduction as you can see he was warned literally dozens of times and continued to do it.

That said, I just recall how controversial it was.

Textbook is to order the fighters to break/fight out of it.. and penalize them if they do not.. not physically push them back every time they clinch

I want Bayless to do his job..and not the one Mayweather paid him to do either.. the one the athletic commission pays him to do

How does that work? You jab.. floyd has what he wants.. something to slip and counter... or clinch off of the slip... You fight on the outside.. you play Floyd's game..

it's not acceptable for people to just turn a blind eye to the fact that FLoyd is cheating.. That just takes all of your credibility and shits on it

Floyd did exactly what Roy did to Ruiz. Tie up until the ref breaks. He didd't hold on after the ref said break, so there is No Foul. Its been apart of boxing since the Jack johnson. To single Floyd out for is out outrageous.

Explain how moving the fighters to a neutral position is an advantage. What should he have done?

If a fighter works to get inside.. and you negate that work by resetting the action at distance..you are giving the range fighter an advantage..

this is simple shit

This is also an important point. I thought Maidana got away with a fair amount of holding and hitting in their first fight.

He did. But not only that, he doesn't really fight inside within the rules. If you wrap one arm around a guy, you can't hit him with the other. You can hit him if he's holding you. but not the other way around.

If a fighter works to get inside.. and you negate that work by resetting the action at distance..you are giving the range fighter an advantage..

this is simple shit

Not if the fighters clinch.

Floyd did exactly what Roy did to Ruiz. Tie up until the ref breaks. He didd't hold on after the ref said break, so there is No Foul. Its been apart of boxing since the Jack johnson. To single Floyd out for is out outrageous.

Fuck that.. I called Bhop out on this shit too.. if you've been around the forums..you know Ive been talking about it..

Essentially, it is using the ref as a strategic element of your game... the counter to that is for the ref to do his job and take points to balance it back out...

and Jack Johnson fought in the time of 100 round fights.. and dirty boxing.. it was a different game then ..

Not if the fighters clinch.

Okay..we're getting somewhere.. now why is the fighter in the clinch? Oh.. Floyd grabbed him to stop the action? okay.. floyd gets a warning.. oh he did it again?...

that's how it's supposed to work...it's a trade off.. You can stop the action at your own risk...

Back