Dr Disrespect Banned From Twitch

Well god damn it, he confessed. And there I had started drafting a lengthy response at @GearSolidMetal ’s request over my lunch break as to why I was certain he was guilty. It’s moot now, but if anyone is curious on what my take was going to be prior to his confession I’ll still post it below here:

Ok, so I’ve finished reading through the 2024 posts in this thread. To me the overwhelmingly obvious conclusion to me is that the allegations absolutely have substance. I’m taking the following considerations into account:

1. The former Twitch employee that broke the story a few days ago is a person who at the time was in a position with Twitch where potentially he would be “in the know” as opposed to baseless speculation from some bystander.

2. Dr Disrespect’s “denial” on Twitter was barely a denial at all, and merely stated that the no wrongdoing was acknowledged and that the contract was paid out in full. But the thing is that doesn’t mean anything. Having acted as legal counsel employers for years it’s quite often more advisable to simply settle to avoid litigation. My guess is that Twitch would have found it better to simply pay him out for one of the two following reasons:

a) avoiding negative publicity for Twitch in respect to its “moral” culpability in providing a platform for which a celebrity streamer can prey upon minors; or

b) evidentiary issues in litigating his claim. The big one to me is that if a minor really was involved then it would potentially require subpoenaing said minor to give evidence at trial, which no lawyer wants to deal with if it can be avoided

As for the “no wrongdoing was acknowledged” bit that means literally nothing at all. Literally every single settlement agreement or release I’ve ever seen in my career has contained a “non-admission of liability” clause which basically says the parties agree that for the purpose of the settlement the employer is not saying they owe the money to the person threatening to sue them, and person suing is not saying they deserved to be fired.

3. By far the biggest red flag to me that the allegations have merit is the willingness on the part of this former Twitch guy to make this accusation publicly, and not anonymously, and face the wrath of a defamation law suit from the Doctor. Such an allegation if false would almost certainly immediately result in a cease and desist letter from his lawyers against the Twitch guy demanding a public retraction of the defamatory statements and failing that an emergency injunction from the court ordering the Tweet taken down and then suing for damages. In the absence of any of that it suggests to me the Twitch guy is confident that the truth is on his side.

Legally speaking the most unusual aspect of this whole thing is the likelihood that Twitch could sue the guy for breach of confidentiality. Any settlement agreement between Doc and Twitch would have been confidential, and for this guy to go public with it would potentially incur liability by him to Twitch. If anything I’m surprised that the Doc’s lawyers didn’t demand of Twitch that their lawyers shut the guy down. It doesn’t matter that he’s a former employee, those restrictive covenants regarding confidentiality last in perpetuity.

Well god damn it, he confessed. And there I had started drafting a lengthy response at @GearSolidMetal ’s request over my lunch break as to why I was certain he was guilty. It’s moot now, but if anyone is curious on what my take was going to be prior to his confession I’ll still post it below here:

Ok, so I’ve finished reading through the 2024 posts in this thread. To me the overwhelmingly obvious conclusion to me is that the allegations absolutely have substance. I’m taking the following considerations into account:

1. The former Twitch employee that broke the story a few days ago is a person who at the time was in a position with Twitch where potentially he would be “in the know” as opposed to baseless speculation from some bystander.

2. Dr Disrespect’s “denial” on Twitter was barely a denial at all, and merely stated that the no wrongdoing was acknowledged and that the contract was paid out in full. But the thing is that doesn’t mean anything. Having acted as legal counsel employers for years it’s quite often more advisable to simply settle to avoid litigation. My guess is that Twitch would have found it better to simply pay him out for one of the two following reasons:

a) avoiding negative publicity for Twitch in respect to its “moral” culpability in providing a platform for which a celebrity streamer can prey upon minors; or

b) evidentiary issues in litigating his claim. The big one to me is that if a minor really was involved then it would potentially require subpoenaing said minor to give evidence at trial, which no lawyer wants to deal with if it can be avoided

As for the “no wrongdoing was acknowledged” bit that means literally nothing at all. Literally every single settlement agreement or release I’ve ever seen in my career has contained a “non-admission of liability” clause which basically says the parties agree that for the purpose of the settlement the employer is not saying they owe the money to the person threatening to sue them, and person suing is not saying they deserved to be fired.

3. By far the biggest red flag to me that the allegations have merit is the willingness on the part of this former Twitch guy to make this accusation publicly, and not anonymously, and face the wrath of a defamation law suit from the Doctor. Such an allegation if false would almost certainly immediately result in a cease and desist letter from his lawyers against the Twitch guy demanding a public retraction of the defamatory statements and failing that an emergency injunction from the court ordering the Tweet taken down and then suing for damages. In the absence of any of that it suggests to me the Twitch guy is confident that the truth is on his side.

Legally speaking the most unusual aspect of this whole thing is the likelihood that Twitch could sue the guy for breach of confidentiality. Any settlement agreement between Doc and Twitch would have been confidential, and for this guy to go public with it would potentially incur liability by him to Twitch. If anything I’m surprised that the Doc’s lawyers didn’t demand of Twitch that their lawyers shut the guy down. It doesn’t matter that he’s a former employee, those restrictive covenants regarding confidentiality last in perpetuity.
lionel-hutz-no-further-questions.gif

I feel like if he didn't know she was a minor, he probably would've emphasized that heavily in his response, because it would have been the only piece of mitigating information in that whole wall of text. But he didn't.

This is what I think also. Also don't like how he didn't say the age. People are running with 17 but none of that's been confirmed as far as I know. I'm hoping the text get released soon.

Thank you, good sir.

Your legal analysis, even without the confession, is detailed and very much appreciated.

<RomeroSalute><brucenod>

I am under the impression he is a man close to 40 and he messaged a girl who was a minor. He might have known or didn't know she was a minor.

I am under the impression he is a man close to 40 and he messaged a girl who was a minor. He might have known or didn't know she was a minor.

Methink that as a prominent public figure that is 40+ year old you should know better than to put yourself in that situation. The punishment (ban and loss of sponsorship) totally suggest it was a minor. If he didn't know she was minor then he purposefully didn't try to find out which is arguably just as creepy as him knowing IMO.

a simple "a/s/l?" would have cleared this up...

I feel like if he didn't know she was a minor, he probably would've emphasized that heavily in his response, because it would have been the only piece of mitigating information in that whole wall of text. But he didn't.
In fairness, it does get complicated with NDA's and all that. Funny thing, is that he's probably protecting Twitch by not getting into too much detail. Those guys aren't innocent in all this either. They likely gave him a LOT of rope, and then when they eventually canned him, they had lawyers draw up is conditions.

I don't know anything about this guy other than what's posted here, but it all seems a bit seedy on all ends.

I can partially sympathize with Doc here. When in my mid-30's i was constantly getting hit on by high school girls. Its flattering, makes you feel like your twenty again.

Separation in sympathy occurs by engaging in private messaging and some of that messaging being sexual in nature. That means he was seeking an encounter based upon convenient timing.

Last edited:
In fairness, it does get complicated with NDA's and all that. Funny thing, is that he's probably protecting Twitch by not getting into too much detail. Those guys aren't innocent in all this either. They likely gave him a LOT of rope, and then when they eventually canned him, they had lawyers draw up is conditions.

I don't know anything about this guy other than what's posted here, but it all seems a bit seedy on all ends.

Given how much he said there, i don't think his knowledge (or lack thereof) of her age would be something he couldn't disclose. He did say there wasn't anything stopping him from speaking out now.

Regarding Twitch: Oh yeah, I don't trust them a bit. They were obviously trying to keep all of this under wraps to protect their own reputation. I won't shed a tear for them when it's dragged through the mud now.

Given how much he said there, i don't think his knowledge (or lack thereof) of her age would be something he couldn't disclose. He did say there wasn't anything stopping him from speaking out now.

Regarding Twitch: Oh yeah, I don't trust them a bit. They were obviously trying to keep all of this under wraps to protect their own reputation. I won't shed a tear for them when it's dragged through the mud now.
The whole thing is rather bizarre.

Yeah, only idiots watch other people play games.

That's why the NBA, NFL, and MLB take in $10+ billion each in revenue every year.
You just compare real human activity and physical achievement to video games? Lol, sure thing.

I can partially sympathize with Doc here. When in my mid-30's i was constantly getting hit on by high school girls. Its flattering, makes you feel like your twenty again.

Separation in sympathy occurs by engaging in private messaging and some of that messaging being sexual in nature. That means he was seeking an encounter based upon convenient timing.
41bdeqHI6-L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

The dude needs to make clear whether he knew the girl was 17 when talking with her and if the talk was sexual in nature at any point. His tweet makes him look bad, but the leaked e-mail actually helps him, so I don't know what's what.

Has there been any word on the legitimacy of the leaked e-mail? If its in any way legitimate, it makes it seem like its all smoke, no fire.

beem.jpg

Methink that as a prominent public figure that is 40+ year old you should know better than to put yourself in that situation. The punishment (ban and loss of sponsorship) totally suggest it was a minor. If he didn't know she was minor then he purposefully didn't try to find out which is arguably just as creepy as him knowing IMO.

a simple "a/s/l?" would have cleared this up...
I am leaning towards something bad since they didn't release the chat logs and the dude has a wife/kids anyways. I will admit if it's one convo and he just didn't ask then I would say it isn't that bad. I am definitely not defending him.

I've texted a minor.

My 16 year old neice.
Emphasis on texted, and not sexting which would be absolutely disgusting.

The most damaging lies are the ones with alot of truth within them. And Dr.Disrespect admits he's texted/messaged a minor socially, and if it was illegal in any way it would have been used for Twitch/Amazon to get out of their contract without paying him a cent, which means every message has been gone through by members of the court - His lawyers, Twitch lawyers, and the judge - and found he is still owed the full payout by Twich, which he has received. AND it wasn't handed over to prosecutors because there was nothing to charge him with.

Is messaging minors appropriate? Yes, if you're a trusted member of their family.
Otherwise, no its absolutely not appropriate, but still legal.
I think the angle about this is that even if something unsavory or illegal happened, Amazon would not be the first company to have just paid out a contract to make the problem go away without any embarrassing headlines. Which worked for a few years.

Back