Movies Mayberry Movie Club: Week 1 Nominations

What should we watch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cubo de Sangre

F65
@plutonium
Reaction score
For those who may be unaware, The Mayberry Movie Club has been formed from the ashes of the Sherdog Movie Club. Thanks to all of the past members for making it an institution on our beloved karate message board. In life all great things come to an end, and unfortunately the SMC's time has passed. But our love of cinema stays strong, so here we are to continue on in that great tradition.

Each week club members will vote on a film to watch. Then the following week we'll discuss it. Anyone is welcome to join in the discussions. If you want to become a member then let me know.

• Each Sunday night (6-10pm Hawaii time) I'll post two threads
  • One thread is the movie we've all voted on to watch
  • The other is the voting for the week after's film
  • Voting will end Thursday night, which gives everyone Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to watch the film to be discussed (but you can watch after that and chime in anytime during the week)
  • All members are eligible to vote
  • All members who commented on the current week's film are eligible to nominate for the next week's vote, so once you've commented you can PM me an IMDB link of your next nomination
  • Multiple votes will be allowed each week (2 or 3 depending on the number of choices)
  • You'll be allowed to change your vote
  • You can vote for your own movie
  • If it's a tie then the judges decide the tiebreaker (I'm the judges so don't leave it in the hands of the judges)
  • If after the initial signup period we are over 10 members then new members will be treated as pledges and will have to view and comment for a few weeks before they're allowed to nominate and vote

Now for the nominees. Members are allowed three votes each in hopes that it produces a clear favorite. Keep in mind the format here is open for feedback and future change.

SILENT RAGE (1982)

"A sheriff tries to stop the killing spree of a silent maniacal murderer who, as the result of secret genetic experimentation by an unethical scientist, has the ability to self-heal."

51Wqca2VLeL._SY445_.jpg

Why @the ambush thinks we should watch it: Because it's Chuck Norris.

THE ICE PIRATES (1984)

"In a distant future scarce of water, space pirates get caught after stealing ice from a spaceship. They are sold to a princess looking for her dad. He might have found a planet abundant with water."

510cTzlvi9L._SY445_.jpg

Why @Bald1 thinks we should watch it: It's a nostalgia thing. I haven't seen it in probably 15 years, but was kind of a family favorite.

RAMPAGE (2009)

"A man with a thirst for revenge builds a full body armor from Kevlar and goes on a killing spree."

51DXylhN56L._SX342_.jpg

Why @Cubo de Sangre thinks we should watch it: This film has a little more depth than the one-liner from IMDB indicates. The character is an anti-hero for sure, but his motivation is socio-political, not personal. It's low budget, but that doesn't prevent the film from achieving what it sets out to. It's a controversial piece that could generate good discussion, and at the very least a strong reaction.

12 ANGRY MEN (1997)

"Twelve men must decide the fate of one when one juror objects to the jury's decision."

MGM_0323377_S_03_XX_big.jpg

Why @Dirt Road Soldier thinks we should watch it: Much like the classic, this remake is chock full of quality acting and writing. Jack Lemmon gave such an amazing performance, Ving Rhames actually gave up an award he won that year, because he recognized that Lemmon was far more deserving of it.

PUMPKINHEAD (1988)

"After a group of teens accidentally kill a young boy named Billy Harley, his father Ed is devastated and the only thing he wants is revenge. He goes to an old woman who is said to be a witch and conjures a demonic creature known as Pumpkinhead, and unleashes him on the teens."

518DSK9RSQL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Why @MusterX thinks we should watch it: One of the most underrated horror films of its generation.

CRIMSON PEAK (2015)

"In the aftermath of a family tragedy, an aspiring author is torn between love for her childhood friend and the temptation of a mysterious outsider. Trying to escape the ghosts of her past, she is swept away to a house that breathes, bleeds - and remembers.

91qVCDOoAUL._SY445_.jpg

Why @sickc0d3r thinks we should watch it: No major reasons other than it’s a Del Toro with a gothic style, and I haven’t seen it. Looks good and seems like it could make for decent discussion.

DEATH SENTENCE (2007)

"Nick Hume is a mild-mannered executive with a perfect life, until one gruesome night he witnesses something that changes him forever. Transformed by grief, Hume eventually comes to the disturbing conclusion that no length is too great when protecting his family."

51ITFp15AuL._SY445_.jpg

Why @sickness2.0 thinks we should watch it: This might be one of my favorite revenge movie I've ever.

FRACTURED (2019)

"A couple stops at a gas station, where their 6 y.o. daughter's arm is fractured. They hurry to a hospital. Something strange is going on there. The wife and daughter go missing."

th

Why @Tufts thinks we should watch it: Memory is a sketchy part of existence. I have experienced multiple losses or traumas that my brain has attempted to protect me from. I had a student commit suicide 3 years after I taught him. When I read he had shot himself, I focused on his younger brother, who I had taught the year before. Then, in my dreams, I started seeing the original kid in my class. One morning I woke up and remembered him clearly. My doctor said my brain blocked our relationship until I was better equipped to handle the loss. Nonetheless, I felt guilty. It has left me feeling insecure about my memories. This movie explores this theme.

EDGE OF TOMORROW (2014)

"A soldier fighting aliens gets to relive the same day over and over again, the day restarting every time he dies."

81TYOxwMCDL._SX342_.jpg

Why @Zer thinks we should watch it: Haven't seen this one but I do love the Cruiser and the gimmick of exoskeletons looks pretty nice.

*Honorary heads up to @JayPettryMMA @chickenluver

Last edited:
Doesnt feel right voting for my own pick!

You definitely don't have to. I just figured everyone would, hence the three votes. Seemed easier than policing a no voting for one's own film policy. Plus it's kinda sad to see zero votes for something. :(

@Zer you should definitely watch edge of tomorrow. I saw it a few months ago and man was it a great action film.

Easily 8/8.5 out of 10 imo

Death Sentence was also really good. Off memory I'd say 7 or 7.5/10

@Zer you should definitely watch edge of tomorrow. I saw it a few months ago and man was it a great action film.

Tom Cruise was 51 when that was filmed. Its crazy he was still carrying action films, convincingly, in his 50's.

Don't think I've watched it since it first hit cable. Was a big Lance fan back then.

If you haven't seen them, I would recommend Stone Cold, No Escape, Jennifer 8, The Quick & the Dead, Johnny Handsome and Powder for some underappreciated but substantive Lance Henriksen roles.

If you haven't seen them, I would recommend Stone Cold, No Escape, Jennifer 8, The Quick & the Dead, Johnny Handsome and Powder for some underappreciated but substantive Lance Henriksen roles.

Thanks. Only one I don't recall watching was No Escape. But it's been so long for the rest that I barely remember much of anything.

It's very rare I don't dig military sci-fi and the same goes for Tom Cruise. And Kevin Bacon too

Back