• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mayberry Chat Thread V5: Dogs are the best

So last night I went to the grocery store as I wanted to buy some snacks and I felt in the mood for Paqui Tropical Jalapeño chips but couldn’t find them. Tried three different stores and none had any Paqui chips. I look into it online and find a Reddit thread that said Paqui chips have been discontinued as about 3 months ago. Kind of a bummer. Supposedly several of their flavours were really good but I personally only ever tried the Tropical Jalapeño, but they were really good. Darn it.

there is a penalty for being responsible and frugal. You should be aware of this and decide if the peace of mind is worth the price.

So I've know for a long time it was going to be a matter of when someone came asking for a loan. Both my own family and my wife's are a mixture of successful self sustaining adults, and failed struggling siblings who constantly make bad choices and blame others.

We are not high earners, but have been frugal, made good investment and savings decisions, and have both worked continuously since we were about 12, starting out doing paper routes and baby sitting. we enjoy a middle class existence treating ourselves to some trips etc but not buying fancy crap or expensive cars etc. We also have put aside a decent chunk dedicated to launching out kid through college or setting up a small business if possible. we also plan to care for my Mom in law because none of the others will be able to, they take from her, not give to her. My responsible sister cares for my mom with support from my brother and me, my non responsible sister takes endlessly and is now reportedly dead broke.

The others, work until they get fired, or rage quit, they spend money on themselves not their kids, they expect to get rich from strange lawsuits or get taken by online scams etc.

So no surprise, someone came a calling. But the surprise was it is my wife's childhood bestie who has lived a lifestyle much superior to ours. Love the family but the dad, who passed about 8 months ago, kept her in the dark about the finances and bragged about how well they were doing, but may have hidden a gambling problem and stumbled badly at the end of his career before getting terminally ill.

Within 8 months they need help, and she has no idea how to handle things financially, is making next to 0 in income, allows the kids to spend like they did in the past, recent trip being an example. She has a massively successful brother in law and her father, who passed a few years ago, was married to a sugar momma, but pride and family dynamics seem to have eliminated those options.

There is a very solid repayment plan in place, and the amount is something I can afford to lose BUT there is no solid financial plan or evidence that there will be a cut in expenses, so HOW LONG BEFORE THE NEXT ASK WHEN THERE WILL NOT BE A SOLID REPAYMENT PLAN IN PLACE?

Another stinging small irony, is they lived a much more lavish lifestyle and I feel I'm now paying for their past vacations, better house, etc.

The last little burn is the Bro in law was an extremely high level executive at a company I would've died to work for in an open entry level position and was qualified to do so, but we could never ask for a favor back when that would've helped my career for whatever combination of pride and their family weirdness precluded it.

I fear this will turn ugly in the future with more asks, less likelihood for changes leading to self sufficiency, and the looming threat of the rest of our siblings eventually coming to suck at my teat. For instance academically gifted niece on wife's side, about to graduate senior year of high school. Dad, instead of saving every penny from his current shit job, just spent money fixing up and old car with new custom seats. Soon this to may become a thing I am asked to supplement retroactively for the good of his kid's future.

Makes me wonder if I should own a $75,000 car, $50,000 watch and be dead broke when they come a'calling again

I was looking at BMX videos the other day and it got me thinking.....what would I pay to be 15 again for a day? I would play full court basketball, jump my BMX bike, spar TKD, play frisbee with an aerobie disk on a football field, and run.....just to run. I am in good shape for my age, but man to be able to do all that before lunch lol......

I was looking at BMX videos the other day and it got me thinking.....what would I pay to be 15 again for a day? I would play full court basketball, jump my BMX bike, spar TKD, play frisbee with an aerobie disk on a football field, and run.....just to run. I am in good shape for my age, but man to be able to do all that before lunch lol......
Yeah to be not so beaten up by life would be nice.

Attachments

• Deadpool award.jpeg
    Deadpool award.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1
Necro threads are fun cuz you can like and quote posts from 10+ years ago and act like the conversation is still going. As if whatever that person thought 10 years ago is still relevant..

I fully expect the people to reply back all like WTF? if they even reply at all....

there is a penalty for being responsible and frugal. You should be aware of this and decide if the peace of mind is worth the price.

So I've know for a long time it was going to be a matter of when someone came asking for a loan. Both my own family and my wife's are a mixture of successful self sustaining adults, and failed struggling siblings who constantly make bad choices and blame others.

We are not high earners, but have been frugal, made good investment and savings decisions, and have both worked continuously since we were about 12, starting out doing paper routes and baby sitting. we enjoy a middle class existence treating ourselves to some trips etc but not buying fancy crap or expensive cars etc. We also have put aside a decent chunk dedicated to launching out kid through college or setting up a small business if possible. we also plan to care for my Mom in law because none of the others will be able to, they take from her, not give to her. My responsible sister cares for my mom with support from my brother and me, my non responsible sister takes endlessly and is now reportedly dead broke.

The others, work until they get fired, or rage quit, they spend money on themselves not their kids, they expect to get rich from strange lawsuits or get taken by online scams etc.

So no surprise, someone came a calling. But the surprise was it is my wife's childhood bestie who has lived a lifestyle much superior to ours. Love the family but the dad, who passed about 8 months ago, kept her in the dark about the finances and bragged about how well they were doing, but may have hidden a gambling problem and stumbled badly at the end of his career before getting terminally ill.

Within 8 months they need help, and she has no idea how to handle things financially, is making next to 0 in income, allows the kids to spend like they did in the past, recent trip being an example. She has a massively successful brother in law and her father, who passed a few years ago, was married to a sugar momma, but pride and family dynamics seem to have eliminated those options.

There is a very solid repayment plan in place, and the amount is something I can afford to lose BUT there is no solid financial plan or evidence that there will be a cut in expenses, so HOW LONG BEFORE THE NEXT ASK WHEN THERE WILL NOT BE A SOLID REPAYMENT PLAN IN PLACE?

Another stinging small irony, is they lived a much more lavish lifestyle and I feel I'm now paying for their past vacations, better house, etc.

The last little burn is the Bro in law was an extremely high level executive at a company I would've died to work for in an open entry level position and was qualified to do so, but we could never ask for a favor back when that would've helped my career for whatever combination of pride and their family weirdness precluded it.

I fear this will turn ugly in the future with more asks, less likelihood for changes leading to self sufficiency, and the looming threat of the rest of our siblings eventually coming to suck at my teat. For instance academically gifted niece on wife's side, about to graduate senior year of high school. Dad, instead of saving every penny from his current shit job, just spent money fixing up and old car with new custom seats. Soon this to may become a thing I am asked to supplement retroactively for the good of his kid's future.

Makes me wonder if I should own a $75,000 car, $50,000 watch and be dead broke when they come a'calling again
100% hear you

Capture 617245.JPG

This phenomenon doesn't just limit itself to money by the way. I have found that friends and family fully expect others who are more responsible and well off to take care of those who haven't earned certain things. For instance, I have a brother that had served in the military, was very smart with his earnings and bought a really nice house in a suburban area in NJ, with a cul de sac and everything. He never even went to college but he is fairly smart and got a decently paying job to be able to maintain his wife and kids. Shortly after he bought the thing he had his wife's sister's family living with him in his house for free.

I've always had decent cars, and somehow whenever I went out with my ex and her group of friends, I was obligated to drive everyone home. There was a time I was fighting an illness, which at times caused anemia. I got super cold one night out on New Year's Eve, but I stuck it out for the evening like a trooper. One of my ex's friends was unable to secure an uber to get home, so literally everyone expected me to drive her home, which was an hour away from where we were in the opposite direction of where I lived- effectively adding 2 hours to my drive home.

No one understood that I was anemic and freezing. Everyone thought I was the asshole for not wanting to drive her home. She eventually did secure an uber 10 minutes later and made it home safely.

No one from that group ever forgave me for that night...

Anyways time to lighten up a bit

Capture 617246.JPG

100% hear you

View attachment 1048465

This phenomenon doesn't just limit itself to money by the way. I have found that friends and family fully expect others who are more responsible and well off to take care of those who haven't earned certain things. For instance, I have a brother that had served in the military, was very smart with his earnings and bought a really nice house in a suburban area in NJ, with a cul de sac and everything. He never even went to college but he is fairly smart and got a decently paying job to be able to maintain his wife and kids. Shortly after he bought the thing he had his wife's sister's family living with him in his house for free.

I've always had decent cars, and somehow whenever I went out with my ex and her group of friends, I was obligated to drive everyone home. There was a time I was fighting an illness, which at times caused anemia. I got super cold one night out on New Year's Eve, but I stuck it out for the evening like a trooper. One of my ex's friends was unable to secure an uber to get home, so literally everyone expected me to drive her home, which was an hour away from where we were in the opposite direction of where I lived- effectively adding 2 hours to my drive home.

No one understood that I was anemic and freezing. Everyone thought I was the asshole for not wanting to drive her home. She eventually did secure an uber 10 minutes later and made it home safely.

No one from that group ever forgave me for that night...

Anyways time to lighten up a bit

Forgive you for what? That you didn't take the 50th or 100th bullet for them.

Here is how this works, you are nice, the first time people are all thankful, you are nice again, this time they are mildly appreciative, the third time you are nice, they have come to expect it and don't show any thanks......

50 or 100 times later, you get sick of being the schmuck all the time, take a stand and reasonably say "No" to someone for the first time ever and they are shocked and dismayed at you failing them.

But they never ever look back and go, shit this dude has driven me a hundred times, gone out of his way for me and saved me time, money, etc., let me do something really nice for him and pay him back.....no they hold a grudge that you didn't help them the 101st time. Seen it all the time

I'm trying hard these days to compliment the good workers while forgiving the bad, payback my friends with little gestures or big fucking pictures of comic book covers, and generally not get too cynical and appreciate the good people I have gathered in my life.

A great thing about adulthood is you can pretty much leave the shitheads you had to deal with in school and early shit jobs spinning helplessly in your afterburn as you build a happy life and most of them achieve the destiny they deserve for being shitheads and dispshits, a daily afternoon place on the bar stool to cry to the regulars about all the people that did them wrong and how unfair life is and a series of shitty short term jobs and crumbling rentals

Forgive you for what? That you didn't take the 50th or 100th bullet for them.

Here is how this works, you are nice, the first time people are all thankful, you are nice again, this time they are mildly appreciative, the third time you are nice, they have come to expect it and don't show any thanks......

50 or 100 times later, you get sick of being the schmuck all the time, take a stand and reasonably say "No" to someone for the first time ever and they are shocked and dismayed at you failing them.

But they never ever look back and go, shit this dude has driven me a hundred times, gone out of his way for me and saved me time, money, etc., let me do something really nice for him and pay him back.....no they hold a grudge that you didn't help them the 101st time. Seen it all the time

I'm trying hard these days to compliment the good workers while forgiving the bad, payback my friends with little gestures or big fucking pictures of comic book covers, and generally not get too cynical and appreciate the good people I have gathered in my life.

A great thing about adulthood is you can pretty much leave the shitheads you had to deal with in school and early shit jobs spinning helplessly in your afterburn as you build a happy life and most of them achieve the destiny they deserve for being shitheads and dispshits, a daily afternoon place on the bar stool to cry to the regulars about all the people that did them wrong and how unfair life is and a series of shitty short term jobs and crumbling rentals
Apparently I needed to apologize for having a medical condition and wanting to look after myself.

Anyways, thanks for the input. What did you end up deciding/doing in the situation you described above?

Apparently I needed to apologize for having a medical condition and wanting to look after myself.

Anyways, thanks for the input. What did you end up deciding/doing in the situation you described above?
the loan to wife's friend? doing it.

The likelihood of it getting paid back this 1st time is very high, I can afford it if they fail and would still keep the friendship going.

Wife comes home from a prolonged business trip tonight, will discuss how we need to look at this as "giving" not "lending" the money if she wants to retain the most valuable friendship she has ever had and that we need to set an upper limit on what we are willing to "give" because at some point the numbers will hurt our ability to do what we need and want and what we can do for our kid.

Wife is already very aware her friend has no understanding of how to deal with money, her parents didn't and she has never had to during the marriage so. Wife has little patience for the overindulging of her friend's kids before all of this and it will burn and sting her all the more to see it continue after a loan was needed so.......

i will gently council friend that she needs to do everything possible to increase income, pay off interest bearing debt, and cut expenses. She will try but will fail to do any of the above. not because she isn't a good person, but because at this age we are who we are and the clock works against us when it comes to getting jobs, building savings, healthcare costs, etc.

Good people trying hard still fail all the time.Corvus glaive does it sting.jpg

Necro threads are fun cuz you can like and quote posts from 10+ years ago and act like the conversation is still going. As if whatever that person thought 10 years ago is still relevant..

I fully expect the people to reply back all like WTF? if they even reply at all....
I never understood why some people get so upset for bumping old thread....pissing those people off just adds to the fun

the loan to wife's friend? doing it.

The likelihood of it getting paid back this 1st time is very high, I can afford it if they fail and would still keep the friendship going.

Wife comes home from a prolonged business trip tonight, will discuss how we need to look at this as "giving" not "lending" the money if she wants to retain the most valuable friendship she has ever had and that we need to set an upper limit on what we are willing to "give" because at some point the numbers will hurt our ability to do what we need and want and what we can do for our kid.

Wife is already very aware her friend has no understanding of how to deal with money, her parents didn't and she has never had to during the marriage so. Wife has little patience for the overindulging of her friend's kids before all of this and it will burn and sting her all the more to see it continue after a loan was needed so.......

i will gently council friend that she needs to do everything possible to increase income, pay off interest bearing debt, and cut expenses. She will try but will fail to do any of the above. not because she isn't a good person, but because at this age we are who we are and the clock works against us when it comes to getting jobs, building savings, healthcare costs, etc.

Good people trying hard still fail all the time.View attachment 1048516
You ain't ever getting that loan back in full....unless you decide to work it out in trade <Wink>

Back