Maximal Strength and Speed?

pinned31

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I train MMA and do about 2-3 hours at night working technique, but I want to start to add a physical program in the morning. Let me know what you thin about the break down.

Monday: Back / Biceps (Pull) [Heavy] : Sprints
Tuesday: Legs / Shoulders [Heavy] :
Wednesday: Chest / Triceps (Push) [Heavy] : Plyometrics exercises
Thursday: Back / Biceps [ Speed ] :
Friday: Legs / Shoulders [Speed] : Sprints
Saturday: Chest / Triceps [Speed] : Sprints

My heavy days will consist of all lifts in the 3-5 rep range, 5-6 sets, 80-95% 1RM
My speed day will consist of all lifts in the 3-5 rep range, 8 sets, 45-55% 1RM

How can I add an Olympic lift day? Or possibly a 5 round simulating circuit?

What are your stats, lift numbers and goals?

Also, what exercises do you mean by "back/biceps", "leg/shoulders", "chest triceps"?

Starting stats are BW: 150, Height 5'7"
Bench: 220lbs
Squat: 365lbs
Deadlift: 405 lbs
CJ: 155lbs

Goals: BW: 160
Bench: 275 (But fast, speed is more important)
Squat: 415 (More speed)
Deadlift: 465 (Explosive)
CJ: 225-240lbs (Do I need to say it again Explosive)

I would actually like recommendation for exercises
Right now:
Chest / Tricep (incline bench, flat bench, close grip, wide grip, tricep extension, dips)
Back / Bicep ( bent over rows, deadlifts, back extension, weighted pull-ups, t-rows)
Legs (front squat, squat, box squat, clean and jerk)

Personally I think you will find that lifting 6 days/week in addition to your MMA skill training will be too much for your body to handle. The 5/3/1 might be good for you since it can be done 2-4 times/week and you can scale it back (or ramp it up) depending on how your body recovers.

Also, your choice of exercises is less than optimal. What's the point of doing 4 different kinds of bench?

I'm not familiar with the 5/3/1 can you briefly describe it?

Yeah, I need more choice thats why in my previous post I asked for any exercise advise, can you recommend some good push exercises for my heavy day?

Here is an article that describes the 5/3/1. If you search these forums you can find a spreadsheet that does the calculations for you.

TMUSCLE.com | How to Build Pure Strength

There is also a 5/3/1 eBook that you can buy for $20 from EliteFTS.

Yeah, I need more choice thats why in my previous post I asked for any exercise advise, can you recommend some good push exercises for my heavy day?

Why do you need more choices? What is wrong with the flat bench press?

I feel like when I do flat bench there is a huge strength discrepancy between my flat, incline and decline which not only limits your overall growth in flat bench but that fact that I do MMA and need functional strength especially if for instance I'm under someone in side control, or someone has me mounted I would like to have proportionally strong decline bench as well. Strength through different planes of motion help in functionality

I feel like when I do flat bench there is a huge strength discrepancy between my flat, incline and decline which not only limits your overall growth in flat bench but that fact that I do MMA and need functional strength especially if for instance I'm under someone in side control, or someone has me mounted I would like to have proportionally strong decline bench as well. Strength through different planes of motion help in functionality

I would say for a beginner, you really don't need to worry about hitting your chest from 3 different angles. I think that flat bench+overhead work will give you plenty of "functional strength". Also, your decline bench press is almost always going to be stronger than flat bench or incline regardless of how much you do decline benching, just because decline bench has smaller ROM. That's one of the reasons why you see a lot of guys doing decline bench pressing. It's not really very useful except as an ego booster.

My decline is actually weaker, both my incline and decline are, and I'm not really a beginner I've been lifting for a while just re-arranging program and trying to get more explosive power out of the strength that I have.

My decline is actually weaker, both my incline and decline are, and I'm not really a beginner I've been lifting for a while just re-arranging program and trying to get more explosive power out of the strength that I have.

How long have you been doing a strength program? I.e. deadlifts, squats, pressing, and benching with planned progression.

Probably about a year and half, originally started with BW of 135 and could squat about 155lbs and dead-lift 225lbs

I still want to add some more weight to my 1RM, but as of now my main concern is explosiveness, unfortunately I need to gain weight too so I have been doing 1-3RM and then super-setting with same movement but fast

An example is
Squat 325lb for 3-5 Reps then right after doing explosive squat jumps with 135lbs 5 reps

This program is kinda good, but I'm not gaining as much size or strength just getting more explosive, so I thought adding a heavy only day would help

Westeside barbell has programming similar to what you want, but its more efficient and doesn't make it a body part split.

Dedicating as much work to your biceps as your legs is not a great idea, in my opinion.

I train MMA and do about 2-3 hours at night working technique, but I want to start to add a physical program in the morning. Let me know what you thin about the break down.

My heavy days will consist of all lifts in the 3-5 rep range, 5-6 sets, 80-95% 1RM

Admitting on Sherdog that you use a bodypart Split is only slightly less offensive than posting that you are an Al Queda terrorist who eats babies. And works out on Nautilus machines.

Having said that, some people for whatever reason just prefer a spilit routine and get better results from it than a whole body workout. But training six days a week with weights on top of martial arts is way too much. Unless your name is Wolverine...:icon_chee

My friend, I would suggest that you do some reading around here, or somewhere that a google search of Pendlay or Rippetoe or Starr takes you. If you are training that many hours a day of MMA you have lots of desire and dedication, no doubt about that. But there are faster and more effecient ways of getting stronger than what you propose to do.

Back