Max Holloway Says Aldo's Claims About Him Turning Down UFC 208 Are "Horsesh--t"

I'm going to believe the guy that hasn't pulled out of fights before I believe Aldo.

Now shut the fuck up.

This could be another one of those Khabib situations where a fighter is being used as leverage by the UFC. This time, though, it's even more convoluted having 4 people in the mix instead of 3.

Agreed. They want Ferguson to fight Khabib and Holloway to fight Aldo. The other combinations stink of leverage.

Max did an interview on the MMA hour and pretty much flat out said he didn't want to fight Aldo on the brooklyn card because he wants the holidays with his family, so I don't know what Max is talking about now.

Max did an interview on the MMA hour and pretty much flat out said he didn't want to fight Aldo on the brooklyn card because he wants the holidays with his family, so I don't know what Max is talking about now.

Considering Ariel Helwani's tweet and how vocal Holloway has been about Christmas, his son's birthday and Disneyland, I think we can say with certainty that he didn't want to fight in February. Maybe he didn't expect that the UFC would offer Aldo another fight after they just created another FW interim title.

Let's get Demarcus cousins thoughts on this

Speculation speculation speculation...

1 fighter says X the other says Y, there's probably some truth in both versions. No worries, sherdog will fill in the blanks.

Does not surprise me in the least Conor straight up scrambled his brains.

The guy actually believes he never lost the belt. And thinks he is back in time when he wasn't the laughing stock of the MMA world and Conors personal whipping boy.

IMG_2234.JPG

Jose Aldo forever the Joker and always the Fool.

He needs to stfu and go play with the fake belt Dana threw at him out of pity.

Honestly this I where sensed Aldo was full of shit.

Max said he couldn't fight in February so we're trying to find a different opponent for March???

Also the part where he's like I don't turn down fights, then Ariel brings up when he turned down Conor after RDA pulled out, and he's like no no my coach turned it down, not me.

Lol as if he didn't know he was offered a fight and refused it.
That happens a lot actually,

The manager/coach will turn down a fight without consulting the fighter. Pretty sure it happened to holly

Ha ha! <18>

UFC is using Aldo as a pawn the same way they did with Khabib to get the Conor/Alverez fight done.

Aldo is running around puffing his chest out like he is in the mix. Lol! The UFC used Aldo's fear of Holloway to interfere with fights in other divisions in order for the UFC to get what they want. And THEY WILL thanks to Aldo's help. He just won't know it. <18>

Honestly this I where sensed Aldo was full of shit.

Max said he couldn't fight in February so we're trying to find a different opponent for March???

Also the part where he's like I don't turn down fights, then Ariel brings up when he turned down Conor after RDA pulled out, and he's like no no my coach turned it down, not me.

Lol as if he didn't know he was offered a fight and refused it.
Hahaha yeah, if u aint swinging from Aldo's nuts, you gotta admit the guy is kind ridiculous. "I haven't turned down a plethora of fights....my coach did!"....yeah, OK buddy... "I didn't throw out my first sample, the tester was simply detained in a jail cell for a reason that was not mine.....I didn't spill my piss either, gravity claimed it!".

For me, it wasn't all the fights Aldo pulled out of until Chad that made me know something was sketchy with the dude, it was him pulling out of the Chad fight in America and having it rescheduled in Brazil; the place where all Brazilian fighters looked wildly different as CABMMA (the guy that took his pic with Aldo following Piss Gate) runs everything. And I know that it isn't squarely Aldo's fault for all this stuff as it is likely just the culture of Brazilian MMA/BJJ and likely does have something to do with Dede. I mean just look at Nova Uniao's record pre and post USADA, they went from like a .800 winning rate to like .200, went from 2 dominant champs to none, and tho alot of it is likely explainable, much is sketchy as shit.

Its long. <mma3>

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...aldo-explains-hes-not-fighting-ufc-208-122116

Speaking exclusively with FOX Sports, Holloway fired back at Aldo by first clearing up any rumors that he knew about the UFC 208 date before he fought in Toronto in December. Holloway says he only found out about the proposed date with Aldo in Brooklyn after UFC president Dana White told him about the matchup just seconds after he TKO’d Pettis in the third round.

In that moment, Holloway admits that he was happy to accept the challenge but soon afterwards he realized that to fight Aldo on Feb. 11, he’d have to get right back into fight camp with less than two months to prepare for the showdown.

“I don’t know what the hell he’s talking about,” Holloway said. “Telling me I knew before the fight — I didn’t know (expletive) before the fight. When they told me in the cage after I won that they wanted the fight Feb. 11, I thought it was 10 weeks away so I’d take two weeks off and then have an eight week camp to get ready for him. Then after everything, my adrenaline was on high and was going crazy, they got me hyped and I said what I said and then I figured out it was eight weeks so I was like holy (expletive) that’s fast but I said that’s OK we can do this.”

“The next morning I woke my (expletive) ankle was swollen as an elephant’s leg. I told the UFC ASAP what was up and I don’t know why they didn’t announce it, but I went to the doctors as soon as possible and I was told I can’t do nothing for four to six weeks,” Holloway explained. “No contact, no nothing on my ankle. I can’t be kicking, I can’t be doing anything. I found out a re-injured an old injury in my ankle and I let them know I’m out four to six weeks.

“I guess he’s coming out taunting and running his mouth but at the end of the day if I wasn’t injured I’d fight his ass any day of the week. I’d fight him tomorrow.”

“This guy is the last guy who should be talking about injuries. This mother (expletive) is the last guy that should be talking about injuries and being able to fight,” Holloway said. “He wants to talk about he never turned down an opponent in his life and he don’t pick his opponents. I can clearly — he said this, not me — he got offered to fight me. He got offered to fight me at (UFC) 205 and 206 and he would not fight me. He said he would rather fight Anthony Pettis and then he didn’t take that fight either. He’s saying ‘I don’t turn down fights’ — go ask Sean Shelby if Max Holloway ever turned down a fight. I never turned down a fight in my life.

“This guy turns down a fight and he’s blaming his coach? Come on, get out of here. My coach didn’t want me to fight on Feb. 11 but I’m going to do what I’m going to do. I love my coaches but at the end of the day I need to get in there and do the damn thing and they respect that. Feb. 11 I wanted to fight, and then I go to the doctors and I have an injury. It would dumb of me to take a fight with Jose Aldo and I can’t train four to six weeks. This guy is seriously gone in his head. I fought 10 times in the last three years. How many times did he fight? Let’s compare.”

Holloway says if Aldo’s requirement of turning down a fight is suffering an injury than he’s done the same numerous times in the past. Holloway points out Aldo’s history with injuries where he’s been forced out of several contests in the pasts including the original 2015 bout with Conor McGregor at UFC 189 before finally returning six months later.

“He says he never turned down a fight — you never showed up to six of the fights,” Holloway said. “Great you never turned down a fight, now show up to the damn things. You pulled out of six fights. I don’t know he prides himself on ‘I never turned down a fight’ but then didn’t show up for six fights. Get out of here with that talk.

“That’s the thing pisses me off. This guy’s trying to run my name through the mud. I never turned down a fight. I have more wins on this 10 win streak than he has wins in the UFC. This guy should calm down.”

Holloway says there’s proof of Aldo hand picking opponents as well, especially after his interview in September where he said he preferred fighting Anthony Pettis because it would “sell a lot more” than the matchup with the new interim featherweight champion

“He’s saying he never turns down a fight, he never chooses his opponents,” Holloway said. “This is his words ‘I would rather fight Anthony Pettis than Max Holloway because Max Holloway is a harder fight and Anthony Pettis is a bigger draw so I’ll just go the easier route’. Those are his own words.

“This guy’s stupid. I can use this guy’s words against him.”

Holloway makes it clear that at no point did the UFC actually send him a bout agreement to face Aldo on Feb. 11 because he informed the promotion about his injured ankle immediately after the fight with Pettis.

As much as Holloway wanted the fight to happen as soon as possible, doctors advised him against physical contact of any kind for the next four to six weeks, which clearly prevents him from fighting at UFC 209.

Holloway believes that’s part of the reason why Aldo is talking now because he knows the fight isn’t going to happy on Feb. 11 so he’s been spared for the time being. Holloway says he’s been calling out Aldo for months but only after he’s injured and unable to compete for a couple of months does the Brazilian finally open his mouth to say something.

“I respect he’s a legend, he’s a legend of the sport but he has seven title defenses and he pulled out of six of them. He’s almost got the same amount of pull outs as he does defenses. You tell me what’s going on. I never pulled out of one fight in my life. I took short notice fights. I’m the most active guy in the division,” Holloway said.

“It’s so funny. Aldo’s running his mouth now. I was running my mouth about him and he didn’t say (expletive). Then he finds out I can’t fight because I’m injured, he decides to open his mouth and run it. Get the hell out of here. He’s a little loud mouth now that he knows I’m not going be standing across the cage from him.”

“Maybe this guy’s trying to stay relevant and make noise,” Holloway said about Aldo. “Maybe the UFC told him he could fight Conor (McGregor) and he didn’t get to fight Conor so to make it up to him they’re saying he can try to do the same thing (and win two titles). I don’t care. I’m going to fight him.

“I’ve got my golden ticket to fight him and I can’t wait to go out there and get it done. I know how I worked to get here. I’m the more active one. This guy can runs his mouth as much as he likes but I’m going to see him sooner or later.”

“I want to make sure I take care of this injury, heal up and then maybe beginning of May or the end of April if that works. With injuries, I’ve been able to heal pretty quick but they told me four to six weeks so we’ll see how it is,” Holloway said.

“The thing that blows my mind, Aldo makes guys wait for months. Some guys who are supposed to fight him don’t even get to fight him. Erik Koch was supposed to fight him and Aldo got hurt. This guy makes people wait for months and months and he’s yelling at me? Get out of here. I didn’t even have a contract and you’re getting salty at me? You have contracts and you’re pulling out of them. Pulling out of a fight is just like not taking a fight.”

“Keep digging yourself a hole because one day you’re going to be standing across the cage from me and you’ll realize you’re not better than me in every aspect of MMA and you’ll start folding. Get your mind ready. Get ready for disappointment. Cause the day we step into the cage together you’re going to find out,” Holloway said.

“He retires and then unretires and now he wants to call the shots? Mother (expletive), your belt was handed to you twice. He can go ahead and wait. I had to fight for mine. Get out of here with your crazy talk. Stay healthy and you’re going to see ‘Blessed’ in the New Year.”

This whole situation reeks of Dana lying to everybody. It just doesn't add up.
Everything with the UFC reeks these days. The Cyborg nonsense. This crap that will end up with another interim title for LW. Even worse if Aldo fights for it. 2 real titles and 2 fake ones all because they let mcgregor do what he wants.

Ha ha! <18>

UFC is using Aldo as a pawn the same way they did with Khabib to get the Conor/Alverez fight done.

Aldo is running around puffing his chest out like he is in the mix. Lol! The UFC used Aldo's fear of Holloway to interfere with fights in other divisions in order for the UFC to get what they want. And THEY WILL thanks to Aldo's help. He just won't know it. <18>
Bingo! A man ho gets it.

Almost everything going on with the UFC, the matches they make to who does/doesn't fight, has to do with the fact they owe a SHAT TON of rent money now. They need to net around an average of $8.5 million a month to keep the ship afloat. Every single penny will count and that is why we now see guys like Chuck and Matt let go and other fat being trimmed; it will be like a poor family that is scraping to get by. UFC will want to put on more "experimental" cards like UFC 206, cards that have cheap talent but future possible stars. We will also likely see more CM Punk type fights as they need to pay dat rent.

And in fairness, they did a shady thing with Conor/Eddie but it did work. They never planned to fight Khabib but they used Khabib, even offered to pay him 100k for being a pawn, and it helped shave 4 million dollars off the price tag. The problem in the future is that fighters realize they need big name, big fights (hence all these fake belts and new divisions) and more and more fighters are going to be getting in negotiating wars. And this is also why I don't think we will be seeing fighters that are financially set ( GSP, Brock and Conor) sitting out and exploring other options because they can afford to wait out the negotiating war.

lol i just realized conor beat both the current FW champ and the current FW interim champ

he still truly runs that division

Please do, even though it has no relevancy since Aldo confirmed in his interview that Brooklyn was decided before 206

Although yeah it was probably a rash decision and yada yada but yeah he called him out in the octagon then with Olivi started backing out, then fully backed out.
Whether it was just or not for him not to want to fight then. He did run a smear campaign saying waldo wouldnt fight him and to meet him in Brooklyn, then it bit him in the ass

Lol didn't Holloway say on MMAhour that he can't fight in February because he has to take his kids to Disneyland?

Back