max holloway has shown again jiu jitsu has major flaws

the tak down attempts and range were god damn awful
has jiu jitsu just become a Gracie propaganda piece to get monies
106_Max_Holloway_x_Brian_Ortega.0.jpg

how many champs r now jiu jitsu disciples, meaning their foundation is jiu jitsu
all 6/8 divisions are foundationally wrestlers and the other 2 are strikers
images

stipe-miocic-fabricio-werdum-mma-ufc-fight-night-werdum-vs-miocic-1.jpg

Heh, you miss the point.
BJJ is "not relevant" because literally EVERYONE trains it.

Besides, wrestling has always been the most favored aspect of MMA. The rules helps it tremendously.
Just think about it for a second:
If there's not enough action on the ground, they stand up fighters.
If there are no action on the standup, they don't put them on the ground.

Mmmmm... let’s see there’s about zero LUTA livre champs, there’s been like 2 or 3 notable LUTA livre known representatives, and jose Aldo is nova union bjj black belt, and has been for a looooooong time

Heh, you miss the point.
BJJ is "not relevant" because literally EVERYONE trains it.

Besides, wrestling has always been the most favored aspect of MMA. The rules helps it tremendously.
Just think about it for a second:
If there's not enough action on the ground, they stand up fighters.
If there are no action on the standup, they don't put them on the ground.
Everyone trains it. But how useful is it? Most of th3 founding guy A were jiu jitsu guy A made a pretty penny

Congrats, top runner for dumb thread of the day.

matt hughes exposed bjj years ago when he beat that little steroid cheat gracie

Pure BJJ guys would be super well served to cross train in wrestling.

They have great ground games, but todays fighters have much evolved TDD.

I often wonder what would happen if we saw a legit Olympic caliber wrestler cross-train in BJJ, and achieve a high level black belt game. That would be seriously scary imo.

I wonder that too. And if they named that guy Ben Askren, that would be really cool.

No martial art is perfect, but solid boxing+great tdd beats anything else. Max displayed both.

I love how Ortega goes 14-0 with a bunch of crazy submissions and all of a sudden when he loses a championship fight, in the fight of the night, he sucks and jiu jitsu sucks LOL.

No martial art is perfect, but solid boxing+great tdd beats anything else. Max displayed both.

Don’t think max success is due to his “solid boxing n great tdd”

He didn’t face that many dominant wrestlers

His success so far is more due to his solid chin n amazing cardio

Ortega won his last fight via spectacular KO over a former world champion and perennial contender who is notoriously hard to stop.

Max is special folks, get over it.

how many champs r now jiu jitsu disciples, meaning their foundation is jiu jitsu
images

Ortega is not just a "Jui Jitsu" guy. He is primarily a striker who uses BJJ to capitalize on openings. He had not gone for takedowns once in his last 6 fights.

On Saturday he ran into a better striker. It was pretty obvious stylistically who was the better fighter, the only question was Max's health.

1. Yes, the wrestler probably will be able to keep the fight on the feet, and would likely be able to outstrike the bjj guy due to superior athleticism/footwork.

2. The original UFC isn't a good model to go off of since wrestlers nowadays are familiar with basic bjj moves and wouldn't be caught off guard as badly if it went to the ground. And as I said before, they would probably be able to keep the fight off the ground anyways.

Any wrestler would need some basic bjj training to be able to avoid subs against a good bjj guy.

Just being familiar wouldn’t be nuff

I often wonder what would happen if we saw a legit Olympic caliber wrestler cross-train in BJJ, and achieve a high level black belt game. That would be seriously scary imo.
Mark Shultz has his black belt! If only it was 25 years earlier..

Don’t think max success is due to his “solid boxing n great tdd”

He didn’t face that many dominant wrestlers

His success so far is more due to his solid chin n amazing cardio
I was talking about the Ortega fight, where Max showed what happens when you have to stand with a guy who can box your face off. But I completely agree, Max's quality number one is his ridiculous cardio.

images

Correction BJJ has flaws...

Not jiu-jitsu or its successor judo

If your going to make.comments about a martial art atleast understand what your commenting on..

Also jiu-jitsu is any form ...is necessary at the top levels of MMA, Conor proves this among others

1. Yes, the wrestler probably will be able to keep the fight on the feet, and would likely be able to outstrike the bjj guy due to superior athleticism/footwork.

2. The original UFC isn't a good model to go off of since wrestlers nowadays are familiar with basic bjj moves and wouldn't be caught off guard as badly if it went to the ground. And as I said before, they would probably be able to keep the fight off the ground anyways.

White belt casual confirmed..lmao...superior foot work hah and outstrike him how? Neither one knows how to strike it's even at best

Every mma fighter trains bjj

If only there had been some past compition where reps from different styles had fought in some sort of tournament, an ultimate championship of sorts, where they fight to see which styles are important and superior.

Stephen Abas (Olympic Silver Medalist) is a wrestling coach at our gym and he cross trains in bjj now and is currently a blue belt. Even as a blue belt his game rivals most black belts just doesn’t have as many submissions, his pressure is insane and good luck trying to scramble. I just wish he would have started training consistently before he retired from mma and then we could have seen what your talking about.

Back