Mauro Ranallo Unloads on Jon Jones & Dana White: "It's devastating, it's shocking..."

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mauro Ranallo has been present first-hand for some of the greatest times in MMA and continues to be a top commentator and analyst in the sport. However, that does not mean that someone so deeply immersed in the professional side of the sport can not be as angry and confused like us fans are when they heard about Jon Jones' positive drug test for Cocaine.

. . .

"It's devastating, it's shocking and it's obviously not a great way to kick off the year in MMA. MMA, a sport that I have been involved in for over a decade, I love MMA... it doesn't matter if its a local show or Pride FC or the UFC, I have covered it at every level, I have called matches at every level and every time I start commentating a match, I realize just how incredible these people are that are putting their lives on the lines and showcasing their skills. And to see one of the best ever, a guy at the age of 27... Jones has had a history of making these kinds of mistakes.

We all make mistakes, we all do idiotic things but he is a guy with plenty of responsibility. As the old saying goes, with plenty of power comes plenty of responsibilities. He has brands to worry about... he is the UFC light heavyweight champion, and for him to test positive for metabolites and cocaine, which don't even get me started on what the commission and how the UFC has handled this because, frankly, I am very confused and very frustrated, and I have had conversations in the past with the NSAC about how they deal with certain things, and you know, when you follow the WADA code where other competitions drug testing, they don't test for recreational drugs like cocaine or marijuana, so the fact that now the commission is saying it was an anomaly or an oversight, there has to be hell to pay here in many ways.

. . .

The commission and the UFC had to have known December fourth when the results came out... and a guy who was already a very polarizing personality... now I wonder what the future holds and whether this is going to be all but forgotten and soon enough, we continue, because there seems to be some double standards when you look at the marijuana tests, when you look at the people that have been fired for far less egregious situations... when you look at it from the way it is now, it was out of competition drug test, out of competition is 12 hours, or 12 days before the fight, and hours after the fight, so it's a mess... I really love the sport of MMA but boy, does this sport really do a good job of shooting itself in the foot and when it comes to performance enhancing drugs and drugs of any type, it needs to be eradicated and the commissions need to be overhauled and everyone has got to be on the same page or what's the point? It's not good."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/12/7529289/mauro-ranallo-frustrated-with-jon-jones-drug-use-in-mma

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Has he ever said anything about boxing?

"With plenty of power comes plenty of responsibility."

Good job Mauro.

Guy rambles worse than most white belts.

He's just in a manic phase. I found what he said echoed a lot of my feelings as well, though.

Also, it's funny people voted "None". Really, you find NOTHING that he has to say has merit?

Don't agree. You can fire a random can over drug test results, but you can't fire the GOAT fighter. Jones earned his double standards. In fact, it's even more impressive that he won while partying heavy with coke during training.

Still think Gus beats him in the rematch in a fight of the decade. Don't care about Jones' cocaine use as long as he puts on amazing performances.

He rambled about how he doesn't like what happened, OK.

Not really that insightful.

He's just in a manic phase. I found what he said echoed a lot of my feelings as well, though.

Also, it's funny people voted "None". Really, you find NOTHING that he has to say has merit?

He sounds like one of those people Bill Burr made fun of on Conan. He called them professionally outraged. "It's r-r-r-r-reprehensible... it's... it's.... it's OUTRAGEOUS!!" Who gives a fuck. Jones puts boot to ass whether on coke or not.

Yet he had no problems with Pride when everyone was dangerously juiced to the gills. Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

He sounds like one of those people Bill Burr made fun of on Conan. He called them professionally outraged. "It's r-r-r-r-reprehensible... it's... it's.... it's OUTRAGEOUS!!" Who gives a fuck. Jones puts boot to ass whether on coke or not.

Well first of all, whether him being upset is to your liking or not, he's not wrong about Jones. Second, his statements on the failing of the commission is fair. Furthermore, his whole concern regarding the situation in general is valid.

I agree with Mauro only a little. Him, like many other people, have made too much of this.

Jones tested positive for a recreational drug out of competition, the UFC probably knew about it but kept the ppv on for money purposes. Nothing to see here, move on.

If Jon dies from cocaine abuse it's his fault, not the UFC's, even if they knew about it. They shouldn't even be testing for that shit unless there aren't any public consequences. It's none of our business what these guys do in their public lives, its disgusting that we even know he did cocaine.

Mayweather had had all sorts of criminal problems in his past, even recently, yet not only is he not regarded as a black eye to boxing, he's practically the only thing keeping the sport relevant. I can't argue the right or wrong of it, but with that example, this Jones thing doesn't necessarily need to be more than a footnote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back