Matthew Perry Dead At 54

Forgetting your other mistake?
What other mistake? I thought it was a late afternoon show never in Primetime. It was in Primetime, but it was never the most popular show. Allende lives in Argentina. The Nanny may have been bigger than Seinfeld in Argentina, I'll take his word at that, but it was never bigger in the USA or North America, and I doubt it was ever bigger globally. It wasn't a major hit. Shows like Seinfeld and Friends were cultural juggernauts: generationally defining.

The Nanny was never that.

*Edit*
Seinfeld continues to be one of the most globally watched shows to this day. Check out this chart tracking demand expressions from 2022:
5MHkgxFzSsuJ3jvIhMuc

What other mistake?

Allende lives in Argentina. The Nanny may have been bigger than Seinfeld in Argentina, I'll take his word at that, but it was never bigger in the USA or North America, and I doubt it was ever bigger globally.
You corrected Allende as if he was wrong to say that The Nanny was THE sitcom, period, when in fact he'd just been talking specifically about Argentina.

You corrected Allende as if he was wrong to say that The Nanny was THE sitcom, period, when in fact he'd just been talking specifically about Argentina.
But that's not how the concept of being the sitcom works. Argentina is small potatoes. There's a reason American sitcoms are more watched in Argentina than Argentinian ones.

America is Rome, especially when it comes to cultural relevance. Seinfeld was the sitcom. Friends was the sitcom. The Nanny never was.

But that's not how the concept of being the sitcom works. Argentina is small potatoes. There's a reason American sitcoms are more watched in Argentina than Argentinian ones.

America is Rome, especially when it comes to cultural relevance. Seinfeld was the sitcom. Friends was the sitcom. The Nanny never was.
It was in Argentina, according to Allende. And he was only referring to Argentina. He wasn't commenting on its popularity elsewhere.

What other mistake? I thought it was a late afternoon show never in Primetime. It was in Primetime, but it was never the most popular show. Allende lives in Argentina. The Nanny may have been bigger than Seinfeld in Argentina, I'll take his word at that, but it was never bigger in the USA or North America, and I doubt it was ever bigger globally. It wasn't a major hit. Shows like Seinfeld and Friends were cultural juggernauts: generationally defining.

The Nanny was never that.

*Edit*
Seinfeld continues to be one of the most globally watched shows to this day. Check out this chart tracking demand expressions from 2022:
5MHkgxFzSsuJ3jvIhMuc
No insight into your actual comment. Just rad to see The Golden Girls kicking ass still. Love that show.

Sherdog is special because you can start on page one of a thread ("famous actor died") and then skip to page 13 and have posters insulting each other over the relative popularity of The Nanny in Argentina in the 90's.

Was the famous actor in the Nanny? No

Was the famous actor from Argentina? Also no.

'Friends' Cast Reacts to Matthew Perry's Death: 'We Are All So Utterly Devastated'

“We are all so utterly devastated by the loss of Matthew. We were more than just cast mates. We are a family. There is so much to say, but right now we’re going to take a moment to grieve and process this unfathomable loss,” Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc and David Schwimmer wrote in a statement to People on Monday. “In time we will say more, as and when we are able. For now, our thoughts and our love are with Matty’s family, his friends, and everyone who loved him around the world.”

It was in Argentina, according to Allende. And he was only referring to Argentina. He wasn't commenting on its popularity elsewhere.
<TrumpWrong1>
He made no mention of Argentina in the original comment.
Yes.. it was pretty much THE sitcom.

Before that it was the Nanny. But Friends was pretty huge here. A lot of people watched it. And I mean A LOT.

Ex I was with for 3 years was in insurance and a cocktail bartender. Addicted to gambling like you could not believe. His work would call asking why he hadn't showed up, I'd drive and find him at an amusement arcade literally not knowing he'd been there for hours. The loveliest nice guy ever. Just an addict.
I have an addictive personality but it's hard to tell what it'll latch onto. Weed? Can only kick it when I feel like I HAVE to for some particular objective, like a new job. Booze? Had a lot of trouble with it in my 20's but generally am a light drinker now, with periodic binges when depressed. Gambling? I'm surrounded by it but don't find it interesting. But app games with in game purchases? Gotta stay away from them especially when I'm down and want an easy dopamine fix.

I remember hearing an interview with Phillip Seymour Hoffman a couple of years before he died, and the interviewer asked him about being a former heroin addict.....PSH had to correct him and say he was still an addict, even though he hadn't used for 2 decades.

Eerie with hindsight.
Imagine poisoning yourself for so many years and getting clean with so much effort only to pass a short while later.....clean....

Imagine poisoning yourself for so many years and getting clean with so much effort only to pass a short while later.....clean....

Don't think that's how it happened with him.

Was a heroin user in his early 20s, quit for 20 years, then relapsed in his mid 40s, then ODed a year later.

If memory serves, they found his body with the needle still in his arm.

Don't think that's how it happened with him.

Was a heroin user in his early 20s, quit for 20 years, then relapsed in his mid 40s, then ODed a year later.

If memory serves, they found his body with the needle still in his arm.
I'm sure they're talking about Matthew Perry.

<TrumpWrong1>
He made no mention of Argentina in the original comment.

Another poster was asking about how popular Friends was in my country (Argentina) because he was curious about other countries.

All I can say is at least here, The Nanny was way bigger.

Is/was Friends a hit down where you're at? Wondering how far its reach was?

Before that it was the Nanny.

Sherdog is special because you can start on page one of a thread ("famous actor died") and then skip to page 13 and have posters insulting each other over the relative popularity of The Nanny in Argentina in the 90's.

Was the famous actor in the Nanny? No

Was the famous actor from Argentina? Also no.

Where else can you get Argentinian Nanny 90s popularity content?

I'm sure they're talking about Matthew Perry.
LOL, dumdum, that was after I pointed out it wasn't the sitcom. Do you see how his mention of Argentina was quoting me?

LOL, dumdum, that was after I pointed out it wasn't the sitcom. Do you see how his mention of Argentina was quoting me?
good god, man...

It's obvious, given the context, that when he said

What he meant was

Yes.. it was pretty much THE sitcom in Argentina.

He had just been asked

Is/was Friends a hit down where you're at?

So he didn't literally say the exact words

Yes.. it was pretty much THE sitcom where I'm at.

But given the question he'd just been asked, it should be obvious to you that that's what he meant.

My mistake. I never saw in Primetime. Goes to show you it had no life, there. Afternoon reruns were its lifeblood.

It was a top 25 show for 3 years until CBS moved it from Monday to Wednesday. It was still the highest viewed show in that time slot.

good god, man...

It's obvious, given the context, that when he said

What he meant was

He had just been asked

So he didn't literally say the exact words

But given the question he'd just been asked, it should be obvious to you that that's what he meant.
No, it wasn't evident that was the context. That's why I pointed out it wasn't the sitcom. This isn't debatable. Peaking at #16 is nowhere close to attaining that status. After I highlighted this, he clarified that he was only speaking to his native Argentina, and I accepted that clarification.

You were the one who insisted I made an "other" error in my interpretation. So I corrected you by pointing out he didn't originally mention Argentina when he made his statement.

You didn't read carefully. Accept that you were corrected.

Back