Matt Serra: I Dont Feel Bad For BJ Penn, But He Doesnt Know What To Do

Why would anybody feel bad for him?

He's a spoiled brat who had his entire fight career subsidized by his parents since the time that he was a teenager. He got to debut in the UFC. He got re-invited to the UFC with open arms after fucking over Zuffa by leaving with a belt. He also pissed away a lot of his potential by refusing to train seriously during his athletic prime.

Then there's the shitty entitled attitude that he got a total pass for from fans. Dude would never admit that he lost legitimately or give anybody respect until he was well into his thirties. This motherfucker even had his mother whine to the commission on his behalf after he got his ass handed to him by GSP.

Penn had a good run in the sport and had a lot of opportunities that other fighters would have killed for. If he doesn't know how to transition to the next phase of his life and be an adult whose lifestyle isn't centered around violence, then that's his problem.

Yeah but $ doesn't buy everything. It definitely doesn't buy Talent. it also doesnt buy 2 belts in 2 weight classes. It doesnt matter how much $ he and his family has. If he couldn't fight worth crap then he probrably wouldnt be a 2 division champ. Bro. we all know GSP got caught red handed. you choose to be temp blind. Phil nurse was straight up caught rubbing Vaseline ALL OVER GSP. WTF? how do you nullify BJJ? Wrestling.. GSP didnt have to grease. he was already a beast.

Brain damage for what, the dude beat the GOAT in the biggest upset in UFC history, got the belt, and has multiple gyms with the top fighters under him. He's a legend himself

You sound like a hater.

Yeah, not a Serra fan, but he's accomplished far more in life than the vast majority of Sherdoggers.

Anybody on this forum calling him a bum is laughable.

Yeah but $ doesn't buy everything. It definitely doesn't buy Talent. it also doesnt buy 2 belts in 2 weight classes. It doesnt matter how much $ he and his family has. If he couldn't fight worth crap then he probrably wouldnt be a 2 division champ. Bro. we all know GSP got caught red handed. you choose to be temp blind. Phil nurse was straight up caught rubbing Vaseline ALL OVER GSP. WTF? how do you nullify BJJ? Wrestling.. GSP didnt have to grease. he was already a beast.

Not once in that post did I say or insinuate BJ is not a supremely talented fighter who would have been successful without any support from his family. I said that there's nothing about his circumstances that should lead you to feel sorry for him.

Not watching 10 minutes of Matt Serra talking. I don't know why but I've never liked him.

He's a spoiled brat who had his entire fight career subsidized by his parents since the time that he was a teenager. He got to debut in the UFC. He got re-invited to the UFC with open arms after fucking over Zuffa by leaving with a belt. He also pissed away a lot of his potential by refusing to train seriously during his athletic prime.

Then there's the shitty entitled attitude that he got a total pass for from fans. Dude would never admit that he lost legitimately or give anybody respect until he was well into his thirties. This motherfucker even had his mother whine to the commission on his behalf after he got his ass handed to him by GSP.

Penn had a good run in the sport and had a lot of opportunities that other fighters would have killed for. If he doesn't know how to transition to the next phase of his life and be an adult whose lifestyle isn't centered around violence, then that's his problem.

This is scary accurate ^

Don't feel sorry for Penn at all, but your little rant is ignoring the natural talent and skill BJ had. He wasn't just some spoiled rich kid. He was the first non-Brazilian to get a black belt in bjj, and the fastest person to get one as well.
He has plenty of faults, but you could have put many people in his same circumstances and they wouldn't of had the same results. Ask CM Punk about it

If Bj does not what to do, why can he open a MMA gym or BJJ academy??

At least UFC is bringing back some TUF scrubs for him to potentially beat up. Just like the good old days.

So much butthurt that your parents weren't rich. We don't know if he is spoiled or not. Maybe he fully appreciated his good fortune and thanks his parents endlessly for them letting him pursue his dream.

Actually, I grew up pretty fucking comfortable in west Austin.

Don't feel sorry for Penn at all, but your little rant is ignoring the natural talent and skill BJ had. He wasn't just some spoiled rich kid. He was the first non-Brazilian to get a black belt in bjj, and the fastest person to get one as well.
He has plenty of faults, but you could have put many people in his same circumstances and they wouldn't of had the same results. Ask CM Punk about it

I already addressed this point, but I'll do it again since some of you guys don't seem to understand what I was getting at.

BJ was a freak natural talent. It's insane to deny that.

The point of that post was to list all of the reasons why its absurd to "feel sorry" for him.

Actually, I grew up pretty fucking comfortable in west Austin.

I already addressed this point, but I'll do it again since some of you guys don't seem to understand what I was getting at.

BJ was a freak natural talent. It's insane to deny that.

The point of that post was to list all of the reasons why its absurd to "feel sorry" for him.
So I was right. They weren't rich...

When you have nothing but time and money to train with no other responsibilities it's not that big of a deal. Other people have to work jobs, take care of others etc. BJ only had to look out for BJ. Let's not act like that isn't a significant advantage.

When you have nothing but time and money to train with no other responsibilities it's not that big of a deal. Other people have to work jobs, take care of others etc. BJ only had to look out for BJ. Let's not act like that isn't a significant advantage.
Wow so if you had money you would ignore all other aspects of life? Money solves everything for you...

Have you ever trained before? There are guys that live in gyms and do nothing but train that will never become world champions. Of course not having to worry about money helps, but you can't buy skills. Bj was called "The Prodigy " for a reason

Back