Masvidal V.S. Ferguson

This is the real BMF fight.
Hope we get to see this fight some day whether it be at 155 or 170, it would be The JBG's wet dream.
I'd said Ferguson by submission after wearing down Masvidal after a few rounds, but would be a war none the less.
What say you Sherdog?
Masvidal gets in one of his multiple 3 wins hype train and now people think hes better than El Cucuy, Sherdog back again with the stupidity lmao

It's actually bullshit that they never tried to make this fight when Jorge was a 55er.

Pettis "exposed" Tony's striking? Landing one good punch? Then proceeding to get the brakes beat off him to the point where he quit on the stool because of the damage Tony was inflicting?

Did Pettis "expose" Wonderboy's striking too, since he landed a good shot but actually KO'd him? You know, the same Wonderboy who had Masvidal completely befuddled and freezing like a statue every time he feinted?

I think...we can do better with our "analysis" here guys...
You have good observations. I should rewatch the fight and go with an analysis attempt.
Basically, I was not impressed with Furguson is stricking in that fight.
But he is so tough, he can find a way to get out of trouble.
The important part was : Masvidal might expose Furguson is stand up game since it looks average to me.

Would be fight of the decade tbh. Tony is too lanky, tall, and rangy for lightweight, he could make welterweight very easily imo

You have good observations. I should rewatch the fight and go with an analysis attempt.
Basically, I was not impressed with Furguson is stricking in that fight.
But he is so tough, he can find a way to get out of trouble.
The important part was : Masvidal might expose Furguson is stand up game since it looks average to me.

It's really not average at all. I'd encourage you to watch multiple fights of his. Specifically look at his jab and how much damage he does with just that. He has left 7 opponents in a row looking like they've been fed to a wood chipper.

People claim he has porous defense but even that isn't really true. He can be hit sure, but given the amount of forward pressure he applies even that is overblown. He shoulder rolls most of the strikes that "land" on him so they don't hit him clean.

Basically, some people have convinced themselves that Tony is always in trouble but it's literally due to one punch from Pettis and one head kick from Vanetta. Both of whom Tony finished within 2 rounds anyway.

I beg to differ. His edge isn't just boxing. His kicks are better, his head movement is better. Better clinch game too and tdd. Tony is superior in all other aspects though. Elbows, knees, subs, sub defence, ground defence, pace etc. It'd be a good fight. Wouldn't pick either. Too close imo
So why does he have 13 L's ??

Masvidal gets in one of his multiple 3 wins hype train and now people think hes better than El Cucuy, Sherdog back again with the stupidity lmao
Not completely clear if directed at me as I would pick Tony to win....
Anyway cheers.

It's really not average at all. I'd encourage you to watch multiple fights of his. Specifically look at his jab and how much damage he does with just that. He has left 7 opponents in a row looking like they've been fed to a wood chipper.

People claim he has porous defense but even that isn't really true. He can be hit sure, but given the amount of forward pressure he applies even that is overblown. He shoulder rolls most of the strikes that "land" on him so they don't hit him clean.

Basically, some people have convinced themselves that Tony is always in trouble but it's literally due to one punch from Pettis and one head kick from Vanetta. Both of whom Tony finished within 2 rounds anyway.

Stating that Furguson is average might not be the right adjective and seem to hurt your feeling, sorry.
But we are comparing him with other elite fighters.
Furguson pressure is outstanding, his reach, pushing power, his cardio and the way he is mixing up jab and leg kicks is great.
That being said, Pettis have landed more that one good punch...
1st round was timing on one side and pressure on the other side.
Pettis almost finished Furguson in the 2nd before getting in trouble with a broken hand, a bad cut and a crazy pressure from an top of the food chain fighter.
Was not impressed with his striking against Lee either :eek:

Masvidal is like de stock market right now. He his very high right now, so now de time his to sell. You got to buy low den sell high.

Tony gets slept, Masvidal is on fire right now and Tony is too easy to hit.

Hope we get to see this fight some day whether it be at 155 or 170, it would be The JBG's wet dream.
I'd said Ferguson by submission after wearing down Masvidal after a few rounds, but would be a war none the less.
What say you Sherdog?
2 years ago I would say Ferguson 100% most because of his volume of strikes and cuz masvidal somes bitch in importnat fights, 2019 masvidal murders TF, cucuy is savage but his boxing defense is probably the worst among all the 1 contenders in UFC and masvidal has good KO power.

I can't tell all the people on here how shallow generic and wrong they are consistently in every thread. It's too much responsibility

Oh man, this fight is a wet dream for real fans. Masvidal would definitely make Tony do the chicken dance, but who hasn't? Tony would eat a bunch of big shots and keep coming. Would be epic.

If I owned the UFC, I would scrap the manlets, send the chicks to Invicta and use all that money to put on lit fights like this. Heck, just with 155 and 170, you could put on some dope cards, with any of these fighters throwing down: Gaethje, Tony, Colby, Khabib, Masvidal, Geoff Neal, Usman, Poirier, Nate, Conor, Lee, RDA, Islam, etc.

If Ferguson loses to Khabib, this would not be the BMF fight. Lets see how Tony does in that fight before we declare him anything else.

Tony does get hit and wobbled by lesser strikers than jorge. Tony just has great recovery while he doing somersaults to avoid follow up strikes. Jorge can definitely knock him out, but I would favor tony. Jorge is popular right now and on top of the world. He still got out struck by till until the ko. He beat a virtual non striker with a devastating ko in the ben fight, and beat a double digit losses nate in the bmf. The 3 in a row finishes are impressive but he is not on tony level as a fighter. Jorge comeback win vs till to me is the most impressive of the 3, but till also had just been devastatingly koed by woodley. Till is huge, and beat jorge in striking the whole fight. Jorge needed the ko to win, and he got the job done. Went on a streak and his popularity shot thru the roof. Tony is kinda cringeworthy in his interviews and on media day events etc, referring to himself in the 3rd person and answering his own questions etc, but in the cage he is a killer. Tony cuts him up and finished jorge inside 3 rounds.
As far as pettis quitting vs Tony, he did fuck up his foot and stopped throwing the leg kicks that were very effective before the injury. He was basically fighting on one leg and stayed in there for a good while taking punishment because of it. Tony is great, but I cant blame pettis for not continuing when he was taking so much damage and couldnt really fight back because of the foot. Tony beat him down, and the jorge fight would be similar imo.

McGoat KOs both
{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}
giphy.gif

What say you Sherdog?
Definitely a great for the fans fight. I can definitely see it happening if tony loses to khabib and Masvidal loses to Usman. I don't see Mas ever cutting down to 155, maybe the ufc would let them do catch weight or tony would have to man up for 170.

Back