Masters/Seniors Worlds Attendees

9 people from my school went, 9 medals. Unfortunately I was not one of them...

My wife was born in '83, so she qualified for the first time. she went and won purple belt light feather. I went and coached her and my friend paul, he also won in senior 1 purple med-heavy. lots of great matches there. I'm still basically like 21 years old practically.... too young to compete anyway, and injured regardless.

Last edited:
My teacher Alexandre Soca Freitas won senior 2 black feather, and my training partner Joe Thompson won senior 4 brown middle and senior 4 open.

Nope, I didn't win shit. I got choked out from closed guard in the first round. 3 close Tozi passes, but the dude was about 6'4" and very flexible and I couldn't force his guard open. I was fighting a very aggressive choke from the start, and on the 3rd reset after I couldn't break his guard he locked it in. Obviously I'm disappointed, but above all it made me want to do more big time tournaments. I definitely didn't feel overmatched, and watching my division no one person really stood out as head and shoulders above the rest. I was just bummed my day wasn't longer, and that I didn't really get to show my jiu jitsu since it was just all closed guard in my one match. I also came in really light, ~200 lbs with the gi on, I think I'm probably going to drop to medium heavy for the next one. Maybe Pans...I haven't checked the schedule yet. But I should still be a purple belt this time next year, unless I go on a tear and get promoted. I like my chances next year in a lower weight class after another year at purple. It was a great learning experience, and I got a lot better during the 9 weeks I spent training intensively. I'm glad I went. It was also really fun watching guys like Saulo Ribeiro and Flavio Almeida compete. There were some very legit matches. I'm probably going to post a longer thread with my rundown of how I thought everything went, because I'm really curious to get others' opinions on what the BJJ was like among the slightly older crowd vs. the high level adult guys.

^ How did the stand up go? Did your opponent jump to closed guard right off the bat?

Nope, I didn't win shit. I got choked out from closed guard in the first round. 3 close Tozi passes, but the dude was about 6'4" and very flexible and I couldn't force his guard open. I was fighting a very aggressive choke from the start, and on the 3rd reset after I couldn't break his guard he locked it in. Obviously I'm disappointed, but above all it made me want to do more big time tournaments. I definitely didn't feel overmatched, and watching my division no one person really stood out as head and shoulders above the rest. I was just bummed my day wasn't longer, and that I didn't really get to show my jiu jitsu since it was just all closed guard in my one match. I also came in really light, ~200 lbs with the gi on, I think I'm probably going to drop to medium heavy for the next one. Maybe Pans...I haven't checked the schedule yet. But I should still be a purple belt this time next year, unless I go on a tear and get promoted. I like my chances next year in a lower weight class after another year at purple. It was a great learning experience, and I got a lot better during the 9 weeks I spent training intensively. I'm glad I went. It was also really fun watching guys like Saulo Ribeiro and Flavio Almeida compete. There were some very legit matches. I'm probably going to post a longer thread with my rundown of how I thought everything went, because I'm really curious to get others' opinions on what the BJJ was like among the slightly older crowd vs. the high level adult guys.

One of the reasons I hesitate to do big IBJJF tournaments is the single elimination format. It will cast me $1000-$1500 to go to the Pans or Masters Worlds. One and done sucks. At least USJA is double elimination.

Lost my first match 2-0 to Donald Bailey of Carlson Gracie OC.

Don't mind losing, disappointed with myself for giving up a takedown, which I normally don't do.

Won my first two and lost my third to end up with bronze. Had a good time, felt all my opponents had game, and even flet like I did decent in the match I lost.

One major notice for this vs pans and adult world's was far far far less berimbolo games.

Yes there was some but not near as much.

^ How did the stand up go? Did your opponent jump to closed guard right off the bat?

He did. I got some good grips, got one reasonable foot sweep in, and then he jumped straight to closed guard. I have to give him credit: he knew exactly what he wanted to do and he executed on it really well.

One of the reasons I hesitate to do big IBJJF tournaments is the single elimination format. It will cast me $1000-$1500 to go to the Pans or Masters Worlds. One and done sucks. At least USJA is double elimination.

Yeah, double elim would be nice. I basically trained 9 weeks and spent hundreds of dollars for 4 minutes of action. Which is true of half the people who go, since half of every bracket is eliminated in the first round. It makes the draw very important, which is unfortunate. But so it goes. It would take forever to do double elim given how many people enter.

One major notice for this vs pans and adult world's was far far far less berimbolo games.

Yes there was some but not near as much.

That was the main thing I noticed. 20-1 closed guard sweeps to berimbolo. Tons of closed guard, strong basic BJJ that worked really well (worked really well against me). I also saw a ton of situp/single leg type sweeps, something I've always liked that's on my list to work on. BJJ Scout actually just put out a good vid on them.

He did. I got some good grips, got one reasonable foot sweep in, and then he jumped straight to closed guard. I have to give him credit: he knew exactly what he wanted to do and he executed on it really well.

Sit to combat base! Ah, easy for me to say. Respect for competing.

Did anybody hear what the total number of competitors were? I heard 1,800. Is that true? Mad respect to all competitors. I know we all trained hard for this. Whether you won gold or lost your first match, this was the biggest stage for us old folks...

I plan on being the toughest guy in the nursing home.

This was my one and done match if you didn't see it in the other thread...

Sit to combat base! Ah, easy for me to say. Respect for competing.

Yeah, I was able to stand up at one point, but he was working choke with my gi skirt wrapped over my shoulder, and standing I didn't have the leverage to posture up and break his grips. I had to go back to the mat to get the angle to posture up. He did a great job with posture control. So it goes.

The better answer is to avoid closed guard at all costs. But I haven't figure out a good way to practice avoiding closed guard jumps.

This was my one and done match if you didn't see it in the other thread...

You won that match. You were more active and threatening with sweeps and submissions.

He didn't have an under hook in half, so I don't understand why he was awarded an advantage.

Back