Masters/Seniors Worlds Attendees

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Masters division is not so much an 'I'm too old and physically disabled to really do BJJ' division, it's the 'I'm 34 not 24 and I've got a family and bills and shit and can't train 4-5 hours a day 5-6x a week' division. Plenty of elite guys are competitive at adult Mundials and Pans well into their 30s, but those are mostly guys who have been pros for years and have never stopped training at a high level all the time. For those of us who were never at the highest level (or even close), the ground we'd have to make up to compete with those guys would necessitate throwing away everything else in our lives. And hopefully by the time you're in your early 30s you're reasonably well established in your chosen profession, very likely with significant family obligations. Physically I'm in about as good of shape as I was in my mid 20s other than healing slower, but now instead of having not much of schedule and a lot of free time I have several employees and strict deadlines at work, a wife, and hopes of starting a family in the near future. Every hour I spend at BJJ is time I'm taking away from those other things, so I only spend so much time on the mat. Even the 8 weeks I've been training fairly hard for Worlds (though still probably not half of what a guy like Keenan trains) it's taken a toll on my professional work, and my wife is getting really damn tired of me training all the time and always being too tired to go out on the weekends (and not wanting to since no drinking while in 'camp').

So basically, I'm doing OG worlds rather than the Mundials because I can't compete with serious adult competitors on training time, so I know I'm not going to be able to compete with them on the mat. But I think I probably won't be outworked by anyone at OG worlds, so at least in that sense the playing field is relatively level. I'm well aware it doesn't carry the same panache as Mundials, and it shouldn't. But that doesn't mean it's worthless, it's just a competition for slightly older true amateurs.

This. Add 2 kids to the mix, and this explains it pretty well for me.

I still want to slay dragons. I just want to slay slower and more beat up dragons.

Nice post!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Masters division is not so much an 'I'm too old and physically disabled to really do BJJ' division, it's the 'I'm 34 not 24 and I've got a family and bills and shit and can't train 4-5 hours a day 5-6x a week' division. Plenty of elite guys are competitive at adult Mundials and Pans well into their 30s, but those are mostly guys who have been pros for years and have never stopped training at a high level all the time. For those of us who were never at the highest level (or even close), the ground we'd have to make up to compete with those guys would necessitate throwing away everything else in our lives. And hopefully by the time you're in your early 30s you're reasonably well established in your chosen profession, very likely with significant family obligations. Physically I'm in about as good of shape as I was in my mid 20s other than healing slower, but now instead of having not much of schedule and a lot of free time I have several employees and strict deadlines at work, a wife, and hopes of starting a family in the near future. Every hour I spend at BJJ is time I'm taking away from those other things, so I only spend so much time on the mat. Even the 8 weeks I've been training fairly hard for Worlds (though still probably not half of what a guy like Keenan trains) it's taken a toll on my professional work, and my wife is getting really damn tired of me training all the time and always being too tired to go out on the weekends (and not wanting to since no drinking while in 'camp').

So basically, I'm doing OG worlds rather than the Mundials because I can't compete with serious adult competitors on training time, so I know I'm not going to be able to compete with them on the mat. But I think I probably won't be outworked by anyone at OG worlds, so at least in that sense the playing field is relatively level. I'm well aware it doesn't carry the same panache as Mundials, and it shouldn't. But that doesn't mean it's worthless, it's just a competition for slightly older true amateurs.

Blue/Leve/Master

I'd love to see what this event will look like 10 years from now with 30-something Mendes Brothers, Galvao, Keenan, Miyaos, Lo, etc.

And then think of who the 20-something stars will be then.

Well said!!

Have sex with your wife on the mats. Helps cut down on commuting from mats to bedroom thus allowing more BJJ training time.

Senior 1/light/purple

Have sex with your wife on the mats. Helps cut down on commuting from mats to bedroom thus allowing more BJJ training time.

Senior 1/light/purple

Would the ring worm on my ass afterwards be counted as an STD?

Brackets are out.
26 people in my bracket I know one of them and we are fairly close. Who do I draw in the first round....that one guy. -_____-

Masters / Purple / Middle. Good luck to all.

....Unless your also masters/purple/middle. (j/k)

Good thing I'm Med Heavy I guess...whew.

Last edited:
17 people in the division, only 2 people fighting in the first round...

...and I'm not one of them. 4 fights to gold!

I'm so jacked I can barely sit still already. I've been training so much that now that I've not been going hard this week I have a ridiculous surplus of energy. Good problem to have I guess, but I have no idea how I'm going to sleep the next two nights :) I haven't fought at a tournament this big since USA Judo senior nationals in 2004. Good luck to all competitors, feel free to say hi if you happen to see me around. Here's a picture of me with Caio Terra for reference, though my hair is longer and I'm literally 25lbs lighter than I was when this pic was taken:

photo.jpg

Though if you see me, please just call me Tom. 'Uchi Mata' would sounds a little weird.

Good luck, bud, keep us posted.

Do you know how they decide who competes in the first round? That would be kind of shitty luck.

I once saw JCASHDAKID and SuperSuperRambo at a tournament, but I thought it was too weird to approach them. Some things are best kept anonymous. :)

Good luck, everybody. And Uchi, your picture seems to be broken, at least on my end.

Masters / Purple / Middle. Good luck to all.

....Unless your also masters/purple/middle. (j/k)

Wish I was going this time buddy, too poor though.

Good luck, smash some fools.

Back