Masters/Seniors Worlds Attendees

Not to be rude but just not interested in a tournament labeled as "senior".
Even if I won a medal I wouldn't display a medal that says "senior" in the front of my display case regardless if it said "worlds" or not.

What if it was labeled "OG"? (Original Grappler) Would you display it then?

Also, how old are you? Just curious. Most of my medals are in a closet. HOw big is your display case? Is it front and center when people walk into your mansion?

Also, Why not admit to being rude? You have just insulted Kurt Osiander. Just be who you are, bro...

It's a legitimate point of contention. I don't mind listening to your view point.

Even if I won a medal I wouldn't display a medal that says "senior" in the front of my display case regardless if it said "worlds" or not.

You, sir, are either drunk or a complete clown.

You, sir, are either drunk or a complete clown.

Neither good sir...
Like I said, its not that I'm trying to bash its just Bill for instance says he's registered at senior2.
I have no doubt that he could do Master and do damn well if not better than senior2.
But its like, why senior2? Why not senior1 or master?
Then he asks me how old I am. Well I'm old enough to where in some tournaments I "qualify" for senior1. However I only compete Adult and sometimes master.
Also he says he keeps his medals "in a closet". Well, while I don't display them in the entrance to my mansion I do keep them in a nice shadow box in one of my rooms because I know I earned them with wins. Maybe when u only have 2 people in ur bracket and lose and get silver by default then its best to hide it away. (I'm not saying that happened to Bill, just using it as example).
Basically if he wins a medal in his senior2 division then its going in the closet with the rest of them, but don't tell me for a second that if he won a medal at the real worlds in June that he wouldn't be pretty proud of that.
Again... I'm in no way trying to be disrespectful. I believe Kurt as well as Bill could do adult at the real worlds and have a 100% legitimate chance of winning their respective brackets.
Just stating my opinion which I know others agree with on a discussion forum.

Also for the record, I think the age divisions should be changed.
Do we really need 5 fuckin senior divisions?
IMO Adult should be 18-40 Master be 41-55 and Senior be 55+

Last edited:
Neither good sir...
Like I said, its not that I'm trying to bash its just Bill for instance says he's registered at senior2.
I have no doubt that he could do Master and do damn well if not better than senior2.
Then he asks me how old I am. Well I'm old enough to where in some tournaments I "qualify" for senior1. However I only compete Adult and sometimes master.
Also he says he keeps his medals "in a closet". Well, while I don't display them in the entrance to my mansion I do keep them in a nice shadow box in one of my rooms because I know I earned them with wins. Maybe when u only have 2 people in ur bracket and lose and get silver by default then its best to hide it away. (I'm not saying that happened to Bill, just using it as example).
Basically if he wins a medal in his senior2 division then its going in the closet with the rest of them, but don't tell me for a second that if he won a medal at the real worlds in June that he wouldn't be pretty proud of that.
Again... I'm in no way trying to be disrespectful. I believe Kurt as well as Bill could do adult at the real worlds and have a 100% legitimate chance of winning their respective brackets.

Fair enough. I'm ok with this type of discussion. I don't think Kurt or I have a chance at all at Worlds. We would have Rodolfo Viera in our division. I think there are few other good guys in Adult heavy as well.

My plan is to win my division at my age group and work my way down for the following year. Competing at Worlds at 50 in four years sounds good... After I win that, I'm taking over the kids division.

As far as your argument goes, why don't you admit that you don't respect the Masters/Seniors divisions. I'm not insulted. 46 year old guys just can't compete and win very easily against 26 year old guys who train 2/3 x per day.

Also, I'm going to a Buchecha seminar next week. If I can beat him I'll sign up for the Worlds in June...:)

I don't feel disrespected by you. I just don't think you respect the senior division.

Shadow box... Pic or it didn't happen... (Just kidding)

I dislocated my knee in a tournament last weekend and have a torn ACL so I am out unfortunately.

Neither good sir...

I don't quite get what you point is here. I don't think anyone competing in the Masters/Seniors Worlds believes winning the tournament is on par with winning the adults worlds. It is a chance for older individuals who lack the ability to train full time to go out and have a competition against similar individuals.

I am a Senior 1 and this was going to be my first tournament competing at Senior 1. In the past I always competed as an adult, but during that time I was also able to devote much more time to training and competing. Life and responsibilities has limited my training to a point where I can not match the training regimes of the individuals I would face in the adult division. I still love to compete and this tournament is a good avenue to compete in a more laid back fashion.

Also for the record, I think the age divisions should be changed.
Do we really need 5 fuckin senior divisions?

I agree that an age division every 5 yrs is too much, don't agree with your age ranges though. Physical abilities begin to decline after your early thirties. This should mark the beginning of the masters division and then probably have a new age division for every 10 yrs.

Are there enough 55+ competitors to fill out the brackets at the tournament?

Uchi - Reed Shegler is in your division he's a good dude, real tough.

Me too. I'v never been in better shape, my game is super sharp, and I don't expect any easy fights. I think this will be a great tournament.

In response to another poster, the back is always pretty bad, but I can train as long as I stay away from big lifts and just do bodyweight stuff and running. Which is fine since I needed to lose a lot of weight anyway and get my cardio in order, which big lifts don't help with too much. I feel pretty strong anyway, I don't think I'm going to get over powered by anyone in the division. I'm right at the top of the weight class.

Me too. I'v never been in better shape, my game is super sharp, and I don't expect any easy fights. I think this will be a great tournament.

In response to another poster, the back is always pretty bad, but I can train as long as I stay away from big lifts and just do bodyweight stuff and running. Which is fine since I needed to lose a lot of weight anyway and get my cardio in order, which big lifts don't help with too much. I feel pretty strong anyway, I don't think I'm going to get over powered by anyone in the division. I'm right at the top of the weight class.

Goodluck man!

Just wondering though, what exactly is your issue with your back? How does it affect your ability to do BJJ and train hard? I have some issues with my lower back that make things... difficult at times. Inversions of any kind are out for me until I increase my mobility and flexibility significantly. And I have to be very careful when I get stacked. (Which.. as a white belt is often.) It's a work in progress. Any advice/tips/ideas for training around something like that? Just curious.

Not to be rude, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Do you genuinely believe 45+ year olds have a shot against hungry 20yr old black belts? C'mon. This is taking NOTHING away from the skills of the older guys, but they themselves will tell you that competing against age is a losing proposition.

And where do you think all the adult world champs go? Master/senior divisions. Just because there's a master/senior in front of the division doesn't mean those guys aren't killers.

I'm guessing you're a young lower belt who hasn't had age catch up to him or feel what rolling with a Master/Senior world champ is like because I have a feeling you'd be speaking differently if you have.

And, if I pegged you wrong, go win worlds (any division) as a black belt and then you can have that opinion uncontested.

Show a little respect for the Masters & Seniors that go out and compete IN THEIR APPROPRIATE DIVISION. There is no shame in competing in Masters & Seniors. There are still tons of killers out there. Let's take a look at some of the Gold & Silver medalists from last years Masters & Seniors Worlds:

Brandon Mullins
Robson Moura
Daniel Beleza
Carlos Holanda
Ed Ramos
Sandro Santiago (Batata)
Vitor (Shaolin) Ribeiro
Roberto (Tussa) Alencar
Xande Ribeiro
Gustavo Pires
Comprido
Gustavo Dantas
Paulo Gillobel
Cassio Werneck

Many of us have jobs & family that get in the way of the BJJ dream of training all day everyday and competing every weekend. The truth however is that many of the top guys competing in M&S worlds do train like crazy still.

Oh and Btw, the 2013 Masters & Seniors Worlds will be streamed live - both days - all mats. More info coming soon. Good luck to all the competitors!

Not that you'd win.:icon_lol:

I would hate doing old guy world's. Old guys tend to be violent with strong grips. Fuck that

Show a little respect for the Masters & Seniors that go out and compete IN THEIR APPROPRIATE DIVISION. There is no shame in competing in Masters & Seniors. There are still tons of killers out there. Let's take a look at some of the Gold & Silver medalists from last years Masters & Seniors Worlds:

Brandon Mullins
Robson Moura
Daniel Beleza
Carlos Holanda
Ed Ramos
Sandro Santiago (Batata)
Vitor (Shaolin) Ribeiro
Roberto (Tussa) Alencar
Xande Ribeiro
Gustavo Pires
Comprido
Gustavo Dantas
Paulo Gillobel
Cassio Werneck

Many of us have jobs & family that get in the way of the BJJ dream of training all day everyday and competing every weekend. The truth however is that many of the top guys competing in M&S worlds do train like crazy still.

Oh and Btw, the 2013 Masters & Seniors Worlds will be streamed live - both days - all mats. More info coming soon. Good luck to all the competitors!

Thanks for sticking up for us old people, Budo Jake! I'll bet Xande put his medal in his Shadow Box!

I wear my (division of three competitors or less) masters medals on me at all times. Most people who don't train just think it's for kung fu masters.

Recovering from meniscus repair surgery so I can't compete this year. However, I will be going to California and I will be on the mat supporting my team, Soca BJJ and my teacher, Alexandre Soca as he tries to change the silver he got last year into gold. I will be doing press photo coverage so I will have the best view in the whole venue. If any of you guys want me to take some amazing photos of your matches specifically, please e-mail me at [email protected] or PM me here Good luck! Oss!

Then he asks me how old I am. Well I'm old enough to where in some tournaments I "qualify" for senior1.

Why so vague? Not simply saying how old you are makes me wonder if you're b.s.'ing. Your age is relevant to the discussion. If you're young, that's fine, it just tells a lot about your vantage point.

Goodluck man!

Just wondering though, what exactly is your issue with your back? How does it affect your ability to do BJJ and train hard? I have some issues with my lower back that make things... difficult at times. Inversions of any kind are out for me until I increase my mobility and flexibility significantly. And I have to be very careful when I get stacked. (Which.. as a white belt is often.) It's a work in progress. Any advice/tips/ideas for training around something like that? Just curious.

I have herniated L1 and L2 discs which have never really healed since the initial injury. The come and go in terms of how bad they feel. They hurt a little almost all the time. Basically, I deal with it by doing my PT exercises fairly religiously, icing and tylenol as needed after practice, warming up a great deal before class (usually with PT exercises specifically for the back), don't invert in my first roll, if people start to stack me I usually just let them pass, I don't squat or deadlift even though I love those lifts because they always either hurt me (if my form gets even a little off), or just lead to me injuring myself in training. I sleep on a firm matress, I watch my posture pretty closely all the time, and I try not to drink too much. For whatever reason, alcohol makes my back hurt like hell. I generally stick to running and bodyweight stuff for conditioning, because things like military presses and hanging cleans can cause it to flare up as well.

In general, I just do the best I can and accept that it's going to hurt a lot of the time. As long as I can sleep and work, then it's not too bad and I'll keep training.

But its like, why senior2? Why not senior1 or master?.....I believe Kurt as well as Bill could do adult at the real worlds and have a 100% legitimate chance of winning their respective brackets.

Certain physical abilities decline significantly as you get older, giving an advantage to younger competitors - just like being heavier or being male carries advantages. Thusly, there are different divisions, so that people can still test their skills against physically similar grapplers. Obviously the division with the most competitors and the most serious ones (i.e. adult) carries the most weight in the BJJ world, as it should, but I have lots of respect for competitors that compete against others and win in their division.

That's some craaaaazy brackets right there. Elite guys in their late 30s generally can't compete with elite guys in their early 20s even if they WERE the elite when they were in their 20s (i.e. their skill level has continued to grow) - speed and endurance simply declines too much.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Masters division is not so much an 'I'm too old and physically disabled to really do BJJ' division, it's the 'I'm 34 not 24 and I've got a family and bills and shit and can't train 4-5 hours a day 5-6x a week' division. Plenty of elite guys are competitive at adult Mundials and Pans well into their 30s, but those are mostly guys who have been pros for years and have never stopped training at a high level all the time. For those of us who were never at the highest level (or even close), the ground we'd have to make up to compete with those guys would necessitate throwing away everything else in our lives. And hopefully by the time you're in your early 30s you're reasonably well established in your chosen profession, very likely with significant family obligations. Physically I'm in about as good of shape as I was in my mid 20s other than healing slower, but now instead of having not much of schedule and a lot of free time I have several employees and strict deadlines at work, a wife, and hopes of starting a family in the near future. Every hour I spend at BJJ is time I'm taking away from those other things, so I only spend so much time on the mat. Even the 8 weeks I've been training fairly hard for Worlds (though still probably not half of what a guy like Keenan trains) it's taken a toll on my professional work, and my wife is getting really damn tired of me training all the time and always being too tired to go out on the weekends (and not wanting to since no drinking while in 'camp').

So basically, I'm doing OG worlds rather than the Mundials because I can't compete with serious adult competitors on training time, so I know I'm not going to be able to compete with them on the mat. But I think I probably won't be outworked by anyone at OG worlds, so at least in that sense the playing field is relatively level. I'm well aware it doesn't carry the same panache as Mundials, and it shouldn't. But that doesn't mean it's worthless, it's just a competition for slightly older true amateurs.

Back