Marquez vs Bradley Fight Night Thread (previously undercard discussion)

consortium11

Slip The Jab
Reaction score
Thought it was worth kicking up a seperate thread for the undercard which has a couple of intriguing bouts.

As always, long preview here.

Brief thoughts:

1) How much does Salido have left? He's only 32 but he's had a long and hard career. Early on against Garcia he looked very old and very slow... but to be fair Garcia is a pretty dangerous boxer and Salido gritted his way back into the bout later one.

2) Is Cruz just a press release or a real boxer? His records nothing special and he's never beaten a truly good opponent but from watching his recent bouts he appears to be a better boxer than the man who was smashed to pieces by Ponce de Leon a few years back.

3) How good is Lomachenko? His amateur credentials are impeccable and his time with the WSB should have prepared him well for the amateur ranks but he's coming up against an experienced boxer who scored a good upset in his last bout (over Rey Bautista), has some power and a rough and tumble, ugly, occasionally dirty fighting style. I think Lomachenko should win and win well... but it's a big ask for a debut.

4) Why in the name of god is a bout between two limited, underwhelming club fighters in Sean Monaghan and Anthony Smith on a PPV undercard? Monaghan's a decent draw in New York with the Irish fans... but this bout's in Vegas... and frankly, neither of these guys are going anywhere.

5) Oh look... Brad Solomon. I'd almost forgotten you existed. Will he ever live up to his potential?

6) Fillipino prospect Jun Doliguez is 16-0-2 and coming off a draw. Is now really the time to stick him in with a dangerous guy like Giovanni Caro?

Last edited:
Crap undercard really.

Salido/Cruz is garbage. Cruz is getting a shot because he's gay. Salido will beat the guy.

I'm not going to get excited about a guy who hasn't had a pro fight, regardless of how good an amateur he was.

needs a better undercard for untested PPV draws. At least they need to make sure it'll sell.

Crap undercard really.

Salido/Cruz is garbage. Cruz is getting a shot because he's gay. Salido will beat the guy.

I think we've chatted about this before, but Cruz isn't getting the shot because he's gay, he's getting the shot because he played the sanctioning body game, won and defended the WBO Latino title a bunch of times and thus shot up the rankings meaning that he ended up ranked number 1... and thus perfectly placed to have a bout for a vacant belt if the champion leaves the division (as happened here).

It's the same reason that if/when Garcia drops his 140lbs belt Roberto Ortiz will be well positioned to box for it as despite having beaten no-one who really matters (or that you've likely heard of) he's held the silver version of the belt for two years, defended it a bunch of times and ended up ranked number 2. Or why Robinson Castellanos is ranked number two by the WBC.

Him publicly coming out is likely the reason this bout is chief support to a PPV rather than on some random broadcast but it's not the reason he's ranked highly by the WBO... and it is his WBO ranking that got him this bout.

Lomachenko is legit. Great athlete.

I'm looking forward to watching Lomachenko.

http://www.boxingscene.com/orlando-salido-wants-rematch-with-mikey-garcia-130--70424

By Ryan Burton

BoxingScene.com recently spoke to former featherweight champion Orlando "Siri" Salido. The Sonora, Mexico native is just days away from facing Orlando Cruz for the vacant WBO featherweight title. Salido said that he had a great camp and is looking forward to returning to the ring.

"We had a great training camp. I had to really work on my legs in camp. I am not getting any younger and I have been through some difficult fights so I wanted to make sure I was ready. My legs are ready to go and I feel great," Salido explained.

"I wanted to move up to 130 but when this opportunity to fight for another title at 126 came up it was just to good to pass up. If everything goes well we will move up after this fight," Salido said.

The 32-year-old Salido feels like he has unfinished business with Garcia and would like to face him again in the future. Garcia will make his debut in the super featherweight division when he faces Rocky Martinez for his WBO title on November 9th.

"I definitely want a rematch. It has been on my mind. Things like that (headbutts) happen in fights. They are accidents. I would definitely like to face him again at 130 pounds," Salido told BoxingScene.com.

actualy it will be a good exam for Lomachenko. the best result for him is KO in 8-9th round. it will show his conditions and punch ability

Looking forward to see what Lomachenko looks like.
Salido should stop Cruz mid fight.

This sucks that this is a PPV card. This event really isn't worth $60 especially considering HBO will likely show the whole thing next week.

I usually buy boxing PPVs. I don't think I can pay for this one.

It's on my satellite package. Sucks you have to pay for it.

I'm not saying that Cruz came out and said he was gay in order to get himself a title shot, but from a pr standpoint it does get him a lot of attention from more casual fans that he wouldn't normally be getting (e.g. dude was on Real Sports and espn talking about the being gay thing, which he would never get to be on if he didn't say he was gay), so I can see why people would think that he's getting fights that he might not deserve, even if it's not true and he really earned it.

Either way it doesn't really matter in the end, Salido might be fading and Cruz is a capable fighter from what I've seen, so I think he's got a good shot here depending on how spent Salido really is.

TR stream-

WW- Kenny Abril SC Brad Solomon

WW- Mikael Zewski SC Alberto Herrera

FW- Jun Doliguez SC Giovanni Caro

LHW- Trevor McCumby SC Eric Watkin

http://www.boxingscene.com/orlando-cruz-says-no-offense-meant-by-leaked-photo--70462

By Miguel Rivera

Puerto Rican boxer Orlando Cruz has denied that he tried to cause controversy by leaking a photo which displayed his ring attire for Saturday's fight with Orlando Salido at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas. The fight, which is part of the Bradley-Marquez HBO Pay-Per-View, will have the vacant world featherweight belt of the World Boxing Organization (WBO) at stake.

On Wednesday, a photo hit the internet which displayed his ring outfit. The outfit displays the flag of Puerto Rico, mixed in with the colors of the rainbow - a symbol of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) pride. Earlier this year, Cruz made headlines by becoming the first openly gay boxer.

Puerto Rican fans reacted in a hostile manner when they saw the ring attire.

"I did not participate in any misconduct nor have I denied my homeland. If anyone is offended, I apologize. I'm not doing to neglect Puerto Rico and my flag. I never thought this would cause a stir and discomfort in Puerto Rico. I did not put that photo [on the internet]. I do not know how that picture came to the social networks. I feel calm, because I have Puerto Rico in my heart. I'm Puerto Rican, and I will fight on the 12th with my flag held high for my country," Cruz told Carlos Narvaez.

CruzPantalonNF1.jpg

Those shorts are pretty gay.

I have a pretty hilarious joke I want to post but I'm gonna stay quiet b/c dubs would be inevitable, imo. Anyway, yeah those trunks are pretty gay for sure.

Back