Mark Coleman on Ken Shamrock

It's horrible I know, but with Coleman I think of -

Mark with with his daughters post Fedor fight - just surreal
Mark stumbling on the ropes winning the Pride GP
The Pete Williams knockout

To this day, he probably regrets this.

Coleman seems to have a pretty selective memory... He talks about the Tank party brawl too (with Carlson´team) later in this interview, and his version is quite different from BJM´s...

This 'encounter' with Ken at Lion´s Den generated different versions too...

giphy.gif

Wow does he look old. Poor Guy.
being in your 50s and being off HEAVY amounts of juice, will do that to u

anyone else see that documentary about Kerr? The Smashing Machine? pretty cool watch imo
Sad as shit knowing what couldve been had he not went down that dark path. He has always seemed like a genuine and humble dude despite what he put himself through

Wow people shitting on Coleman for aging before his time. That’s a new low, even for sherdog.

Coleman was always laid back but what irritated me with him was his constant complaining about money. It got to the point were I couldnt listen to his interviews anymore. Even after his tournament win he complained about
having no money. He obviously wasnt smart about it, no problem but this whining was unnerving and continued until his retirement fights in the UFC.

Everything else he is a great guy.

Mark Kerr will never not be the most terrifying man in MMA

Fun part is people often talked about these one dimensional wrestlers aka Coleman, Randleman and included Kerr, were as the Kerr from Enson Inoue fight was an absolute prodigy.
He had basic but very dangerous submission attacks combined with a smothering brutal top game and unmatched strenght and athletic ability. Bas also taught him hard balanced kicks and at least a better
understanding of stand up fighting. If we watch Smashing Machine he just plays in Sparring with a close to prime Rico Rodriguez who himself was a damn good wrestler.

His downfall was being in an abusive relationship with his girlfriend back then (alcoholism) which weakened him a lot regarding mental strenght. Put someone like Kerr in todays UFC HW picture and he fucks up
most opponents. He would loose to Cormier and Stipe in 5r fights.. Ngannou I dont know but he would tear through the likes of prime Browne, Schaub, Lewis...etc.

Coleman was always laid back but what irritated me with him was his constant complaining about money. It got to the point were I couldnt listen to his interviews anymore. Even after his tournament win he complained about
having no money. He obviously wasnt smart about it, no problem but this whining was unnerving and continued until his retirement fights in the UFC.

Everything else he is a great guy.

Fun part is people often talked about these one dimensional wrestlers aka Coleman, Randleman and included Kerr, were as the Kerr from Enson Inoue fight was an absolute prodigy.
He had basic but very dangerous submission attacks combined with a smothering brutal top game and unmatched strenght and athletic ability. Bas also taught him hard balanced kicks and at least a better
understanding of stand up fighting. If we watch Smashing Machine he just plays in Sparring with a close to prime Rico Rodriguez who himself was a damn good wrestler.

His downfall was being in an abusive relationship with his girlfriend back then (alcoholism) which weakened him a lot regarding mental strenght. Put someone like Kerr in todays UFC HW picture and he fucks up
most opponents. He would loose to Cormier and Stipe in 5r fights.. Ngannou I dont know but he would tear through the likes of prime Browne, Schaub, Lewis...etc.
Coleman´s main whinin´ was after the Pride GP: afterwards, they offered him the same money to fight again.

Kerr had an easy win over Enson Inoue (was ruled a [generous] Majority Dec.), even though it was a pretty lackluster performance.
Enson did really nothin´, was quickly taken down, but Kerr indeed showcased rather weak GNP, and his sub attempts were not really tight [2 neck cranks & 1smother choke]

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-30-mma´s-buster-douglas.3935185/

Kerr was already showin´ some kind of mental weakness at the beginnin´of his career, @ World Vale Tudo Championship 3, where his coach Hamilton had to really bump him up backstage...

Damn, he looks and sounds like he was ridden hard and put up wet. Brutal.

His thoughts and experiences with Ken's coaching mimic Ken's coaching on TUF. The guy just doesn't seem to think ahead, plan, or consider. Just pure id.

Does anyone know if any of the old school Lions Den guys have ever discussed his coaching abilities or techniques negatively?

EDIT: I cannot find anything from Guy or Vernon. I know Frank says he's a good coach. I did find this thread from 2006 defending Ken's coaching on TUF.

EDIT 2: Damn, Roy Nelson suggests that as a coach, Ken is good at telling people how to do stuff, but isn't a good teacher. See it here for yourself. Read between the lines.

Last edited:
Damn, he looks and sounds like he was ridden hard and put up wet. Brutal.

His thoughts and experiences with Ken's coaching mimic Ken's coaching on TUF. The guy just doesn't seem to think ahead, plan, or consider. Just pure id.

Does anyone know if any of the old school Lions Den guys have ever discussed his coaching abilities or techniques negatively?

EDIT: I cannot find anything from Guy or Vernon. I know Frank says he's a good coach. I did find this thread from 2006 defending Ken's coaching on TUF.

EDIT 2: Damn, Roy Nelson suggests that as a coach, Ken is good at telling people how to do stuff, but isn't a good teacher. See it here for yourself. Read between the lines.

I think the best answer would be to watch & acknowledge the evolution of some of these Lion´s Den fighters´skillset: Guy or Tiger for instance, b4 competin´ in Pancrase, were noobs on the ground, one-dimensional.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-23-cross-training-in-mma´s-dark-ages.3874607/page-4

I think the best answer would be to watch & acknowledge the evolution of some of these Lion´s Den fighters´skillset: Guy or Tiger for instance, b4 competin´ in Pancrase, were noobs on the ground, one-dimensional.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-23-cross-training-in-mma´s-dark-ages.3874607/page-4
Damn man, that is one hell of a thread. Kudos, sir. I'll have to go through it more slowly later.

It's probably unfair to compare timelines. When Ken was training with Funaki he learned a lot and brought it to the US. That was the early 90's, and from 94 to 98 when he coached Lions Den (or whatever dates it was) I'm quite sure he was way ahead of his curve.

And it's not fair to compare that to the post-TUF era - or compare him or his coaching styles to guys who had the luxury of learning the fight game after the earliest evolution - like I just attempted to do. Cheers.

Damn man, that is one hell of a thread. Kudos, sir. I'll have to go through it more slowly later.

It's probably unfair to compare timelines. When Ken was training with Funaki he learned a lot and brought it to the US. That was the early 90's, and from 94 to 98 when he coached Lions Den (or whatever dates it was) I'm quite sure he was way ahead of his curve.

And it's not fair to compare that to the post-TUF era - or compare him or his coaching styles to guys who had the luxury of learning the fight game after the earliest evolution - like I just attempted to do. Cheers.
Indeed, when he went back to full pro-wrasslin´, he got outdated. He did acknowledge it.

CTE took its toll. So you wanna be a fighter? That’s how you can end up.

Shamrock would have given Coleman call he could handle...

Also, Coleman is a legend.

ufc100_06_coleman_vs_bonnar_005_original.jpg

Back