News "Marina beating Dern solidified me as the number 1 contender" - Esparza

Mohawk Banditó

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...-remains-no-1-contender-wants-next-title-shot

“I think there was talks of McKenzie being in there (title picture), especially with a similar win record. I could see an argument for that and she’s got a lot of hype behind her too and she’s a really great fighter. She had explosive finishes on the ground, so I could’ve definitely seen an argument for that.
But with Marina having a win over her and myself having a win over Marina, and being her only loss, I think it really solidified me as the No. 1 contender.
I’m going to know a lot after the fight on Nov. 6. I think whatever happens after that fight is going to be very telling on what happens with my future and my next fight.
Of course I want the title fight. I’ve been fighting for seven years to get back to this point, but I also want to stay active and fight because that’s what I like to do, so hopefully, it goes in a way that makes sense for the UFC to give me the next fight.
“I’m humbled and appreciative for all the support that I’ve gotten when the announcement was made for Weili to get the rematch. A lot of people were vocal saying I deserved it, but at the end of the day, the UFC is going to make their decisions. I’m just going to sit and wait and hopefully I get that opportunity next."
---

I mean, I thought she lost to Marina, personally, and the fight was shit, but it was kinda close.

But on paper, she's absolutely right about what her record should mean. 5 fight win streak over Jandiroba(unranked - now #12), Grasso (#9 - now #10 at fly), Waterson (#8 - now #10), Rodriguez (#9 - now #4), and Xiaonan (#3 - now #5).

None of those past "wins" (I say that word lightly) got much worse, they actually mostly got better over time, and not only is she on the outside looking in for
9QN1ymw.png
some
9QN1ymw.png
reason, but Dana's saying she shouldn't wait for a title shot?

Do you think she should be in next? What are the other choices: a Zhang triology, a Joanna trilogy, or does Marina's 3 piece make her slip by the only person to beat her who went and also finished #3

Last edited:
I think she got gifted the decision in at least 2 of those "wins." That being said, I like that she's always respectful and I think she deserved the title shot more than Weili. Not to mention the rematch with Rose has the perfect built-in story.

Luckily for her, Rose will beat Weili again and she'll get her shot.

I have to chime in and say Carla DEFINITELY beat Marina. It is perplexing that it was a split decision.
I'll admit, I don't remember much clearly from the fight, other than largely inaction and criticism that Carla landed nothing significant in the first 2 rounds. It was pretty split across the board

pQnZ8jL.png

It's just after the Grasso and Waterson decisions also going her way, those Esparza decisions started piling up with question marks. Not that any of them were robberies, but throwing outt "DEFINITELY" in all caps is not a confidence-level I think is deserved here

I have to chime in and say Carla DEFINITELY beat Marina. It is perplexing that it was a split decision.

I agree (surprise :p ) although I'm not surprised it was a split because I figured some people might score ~20 seconds of damage over ~4 minutes of domination, I am perplexed though that so many other people do and even 'Marina clearly won' (wtf).

Anyway Marina has made it clear she won't steal her Senpai's title shot (although that's just so she can later usurp her by taking the title from her directly in an all-time top Anime Betrayal) so Dana has no choice but to give Mar-Car what they want (unless he plans to book endless rematches for the next 2 years).
0b4wYUX.gif

Last edited:
Despite my previous comment in a thread stating that Esparza is clearly the #1 contender if Rose wins, I could actually see Andrade sneaking in.

She's 1-1 with Rose and is coming off of 2 out 3 wins at 125. And with Dana being petty I could absolutely see her getting the shot over Esparza who they obviously dont want fighting for the belt.

I'll admit, I don't remember much clearly from the fight, other than largely inaction and criticism that Carla landed nothing significant in the first 2 rounds. It was pretty split across the board

pQnZ8jL.png

It's just after the Grasso and Waterson decisions also going her way, those Esparza decisions started piling up with question marks. Not that any of them were robberies, but throwing outt "DEFINITELY" in all caps is not a confidence-level I think is deserved here
It does make it hard to be excited about her fighting for a title when it feels like she always done the bare minimum required to get by. I don’t need a spinning kick ko, or a finish every fight. But can we get something dominant? If it’s gonna be a decision every time can we at least feel like it was one sided at some point?

Not gonna say she doesn’t deserve it, but I’ve got almost no excitement for the idea of her challenging

I don't like Carla. I think she came off very annoying on the ultimate fighter and most of her fights are incredibly boring, however she definitely deserves the title shot and not Zhang.
Or anyone else for that matter.

Carla certainly more well rounded now but I'd like to see her get that dominant signature win. Maybe she gets it in recapturing title and kills 2 birds with one stone. I dont know if I see that happening, though.

I was hoping Dern had gained enough in stand up department to gain win vs Marina. Back to drawing board and sustain services of Perillo. She has a whole career ahead of her.

I don't like Carla. I think she came off very annoying on the ultimate fighter and most of her fights are incredibly boring, however she definitely deserves the title shot and not Zhang.
Or anyone else for that matter.
I KNEW what was waiting for her after tuf in JJ. I'm only disappointed in myself that I didnt bet more in a fight I was so confident going in.

It does make it hard to be excited about her fighting for a title when it feels like she always done the bare minimum required to get by. I don’t need a spinning kick ko, or a finish every fight. But can we get something dominant? If it’s gonna be a decision every time can we at least feel like it was one sided at some point?

Not gonna say she doesn’t deserve it, but I’ve got almost no excitement for the idea of her challenging
To me, a win is a win regardless. I can respect something I don't enjoy. I am excited more for the prospect, since Carla does have history with Rose, and it makes for a good gauge of what progress/changes were made for both.

And in her last fight, she did absolutely railroad and TKO the #3 in Xiaonan,
maxresdefault.jpg

Carla certainly more well rounded now but I'd like to see her get that dominant signature win.
This wasn't good?

d85f6d8cj00qtm1w5002gc000sg00izg.jpg

WelldocumentedSomberAfghanhound-size_restricted.gif

IllegalSilkyHerring-size_restricted.gif

1319536394.0.jpg

I KNEW what was waiting for her after tuf in JJ. I'm only disappointed in myself that I didnt bet more in a fight I was so confident going in.
One of my absolute worst takes ever was going with the tried and true 'good wrestler over striker' thing. I had NO idea what the size disparity was, or the fact that every time Carla shot in on Joanna, her legs would have sprawled three states away.

To me, a win is a win regardless. I can respect something I don't enjoy. I am excited more for the prospect, since Carla does have history with Rose, and it makes for a good gauge of what progress/changes were made for both.

And in her last fight, she did absolutely railroad and TKO the #3 in Xiaonan,
maxresdefault.jpg
Ah yes I forgot about that fight. Yeah that was good. I remember the jokes in the pbp “here comes 15 minutes of tap taps on the ground” and if I remember correctly she started dropping some elbows that cracked.

You’ve caught me. That was the win I needed to feel a little bit of excitement about the matchup.

Despite my previous comment in a thread stating that Esparza is clearly the #1 contender if Rose wins, I could actually see Andrade sneaking in.

She's 1-1 with Rose and is coming off of 2 out 3 wins at 125. And with Dana being petty I could absolutely see her getting the shot over Esparza who they obviously dont want fighting for the belt.
Andrade is 0-2 in her last 2 fights at 115.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back