News "Marina beating Dern solidified me as the number 1 contender" - Esparza

This wasn't good?

d85f6d8cj00qtm1w5002gc000sg00izg.jpg

WelldocumentedSomberAfghanhound-size_restricted.gif

IllegalSilkyHerring-size_restricted.gif

1319536394.0.jpg

One of my absolute worst takes ever was going with the tried and true good wrestler over striker thing. I had NO idea what the size disparity was, or the fact that every time Carla shot in on Joanna, her legs would have sprawled three states away.
Yeah - that one slipped my mind.

It does make it hard to be excited about her fighting for a title when it feels like she always done the bare minimum required to get by. I don’t need a spinning kick ko, or a finish every fight. But can we get something dominant? If it’s gonna be a decision every time can we at least feel like it was one sided at some point?

Not gonna say she doesn’t deserve it, but I’ve got almost no excitement for the idea of her challenging
I have precisely zero excitement about every Esparza fight. She just shoots for a TD and wrestles 95% of the time. Where are the finishes? Apart from her last fight against Xiaonan (KO), her previous 7 wins were all decisions.
Sorry, but her fight style is incredibly boring. If it works, ok.

But she's simply not a fighter that the UFC nor the fans can get excited about. 90% of the time is wrestle-wrestle-wrestle to a dull decision.

this is why Dana put Zhang in there again, and judging from what he said on Tuesday night, they're simply going to offer Esparza another non-title fight and Dana says... "she should take it".

Ah yes I forgot about that fight. Yeah that was good. I remember the jokes in the pbp “here comes 15 minutes of tap taps on the ground” and if I remember correctly she started dropping some elbows that cracked.

You’ve caught me. That was the win I needed to feel a little bit of excitement about the matchup.

between that and the gif featuring Felice Herring squeezing those cookie monster cheeks is more than enough for me. I have no problem with the Weili rematch but cookie is up there

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 9.56.09 AM.png
revolutionary AV btw <[analyzed}>

I have precisely zero excitement about every Esparza fight. She just shoots for a TD and wrestles 95% of the time. Where are the finishes? Apart from her last fight against Xiaonan (KO), her previous 7 wins were all decisions.

But she's simply not a fighter that the UFC nor the fans can get excited about. 90% of the time is wrestle-wrestle-wrestle to a dull decision.

this is why Dana put Zhang in there again, and judging from what he said on Tuesday night, they're simply going to offer Esparza another non-title fight and Dana says... "she should take it".
Who should she take? Marina again? She certainly shouldn't be fighting any lower.

And i get making exciting matchups, a promotion for entertainment probably should, but shouldn't that be reserved for the rest of the card? If you're purposefully skipping the winningest contender for the championship, arent you just admitting that, at the very core, you're not really MMA competition, and that the belt is less "the best," and more a popularity contest?

Yeah, I don’t think it’s unwarranted criticisms. There’s a difference between fighters who look for subs and land hard shots on the ground, and fighters who only do it for control.

If Esparza can replicate the G&P she produced in her last fights consistently she’d start to get some serious attention. Hopefully, that’s a sign of things to come

And that will stop Dana? Lol you must be new to this
That and the fact that Andrade isn't a big draw either. Why would Dana feel compelled to give her any preferential treatment?

its been almost 30 years and the point is still being missed. great Carla has 5 consecutive wins, however, stalling to decisions in 90% of her fights doesn't earn fans, bonus pay or consideration for title shots.

That and the fact that Andrade isn't a big draw either. Why would Dana feel compelled to give her any preferential treatment?
Because he's petty and warned Esparza not to sit on the sidelines. Dana is very likely to view her choice to wait as insubordination. He's Dana White, you must be new to this.

She should go after Andrade or JJ or Claudia. Someone with a name. Win that and she puts herself in contention

her fights doesn't earn fans
You're right, it doesn't earn her "fans," (though those aren't really MMA fans we're talking about, are they?)

bonus pay
Two of her five wins were bonuses

consideration for title shots.
Again you're right, but we all know deep down you shouldn't be. Winning is the goal, winning the most makes you the best, being champion is being the best. These are all fundamental tenants and despite the UFC's precedence in favoring the popular, fans still take the liberty of assuming these things by default. But the problem is, you can't say wholeheartedly that the champ is the best while also saying what you said, that a streak of (unexciting) wins shouldn't be considered for title shots. The argument could easily be made that the fault here is not her being unexciting, but you being unexcited. She's doing her job, and if you don't like it, then you don't like all of her job, which is MMA, which means.. you don't like all of MMA.

So again, I ask... those aren't really MMA fans we're talking about, are they?

You wanna watch someone exciting get a belt for being exciting? Here ya go.
dc121bcb-big-e-talks-possibility-of-facing-childhood-hero-in-wwe.jpg

Big E's hilarious, go check him out.

Because he's petty and warned Esparza not to sit on the sidelines. Dana is very likely to view her choice to wait as insubordination. He's Dana White, you must be new to this.
You must be new to this. Rose is far more popular than Andrade. If Rose beats Weili again, Dana would much rather have her as champion than Andrade. Carla is an easier fight.

You're right, it doesn't earn her "fans," (though those aren't really MMA fans we're talking about, are they?)

Two of her five wins were bonuses

Again you're right, but we all know deep down you shouldn't be. Winning is the goal, winning the most makes you the best, being champion is being the best. These are all fundamental tenants and despite the UFC's precedence in favoring the popular, fans still take the liberty of assuming these things by default. But the problem is, you can't say wholeheartedly that the champ is the best while also saying what you said, that a streak of (unexciting) wins shouldn't be considered for title shots. The argument could easily be made that the fault here is not her being unexciting, but you being unexcited. She's doing her job, and if you don't like it, then you don't like all of her job, which is MMA, which means.. you don't like all of MMA.

So again, I ask... those aren't really MMA fans we're talking about, are they?

You wanna watch someone exciting get a belt for being exciting? Here ya go.
dc121bcb-big-e-talks-possibility-of-facing-childhood-hero-in-wwe.jpg

Big E's hilarious, go check him out.
Winning is indeed the goal, but Carla's style isn't really that effective. She has been depending on the judges gifting her decisions to "win."

She still deserved the title shot more than the chick that got slept in 78 seconds. I'm just saying it's not like Carla is boring, but completely dominates her opponents. She doesn't.

Winning is indeed the goal, but Carla's style isn't really that effective. She has been depending on the judges gifting her decisions to "win."

She still deserved the title shot more than the chick that got slept in 78 seconds. I'm just saying it's not like Carla is boring, but completely dominates her opponents. She doesn't.
Right, and that's the risk. The same way Derrick Lewis isn't really effective, cuz he's vulnerable too when he's swangin and bangin with zero technique. And once he lost, he's out of the convo until he wins again. Same here, once she depends on the judges and they don't gift her, she's out too.

I even said before, I think there are wins on her streak that just shouldn't be. But they are, so ya gotta take em as is. We all know it's ineffective, but it hasn't been proven to be lately, and until that time, she's clearly the deserved contender.

Right, and that's the risk. The same way Derrick Lewis isn't really effective, cuz he's vulnerable too when he's swangin and bangin with zero technique. And once he lost, he's out of the convo until he wins again. Same here, once she depends on the judges and they don't gift her, she's out too.

I even said before, I think there are wins on her streak that just shouldn't be. But they are, so ya gotta take em as is. We all know it's ineffective, but it hasn't been proven to be lately, and until that time, she's clearly the deserved contender.
If Rose beats Weili again, I agree that Carla should be next. One can't make an argument for anyone else.

Back