Margarito vs. PBF

I didn't think he would either. Especially after watching the Baldomire (where his hand was messed up) and De La Hoya (well no kidding he didn't hurt him) fights. However, I still think his KO power is underrated. I can def. see him KOing Tony, not easy, but I can see it happening.

i'd say baldo has a good chin.

He won't turn down $20 million to fight the winner of Cotto/Tony in the spring.

That's always been what the plan looked like, for a spring '09 fight in Vegas to lock down the WW championship forever and secure his place in history. It was my sig on here for a few months actually.

Ricky Hatton? LOL do people still talk about him?

PBF is fast and skilled enough to avoid Margarito's jab. He wouldn't stand in front of Margarito like Cintron did. And when it goes inside, PBF's shoulder roll/crouching crab/philly shell defense will be enough to avoid the big shots. PBF would pot-shot his way to a UD.
I think the same.. Floys is too fast and skilled for Tomy imo.

Margarito throws punches.. he doesnt care where they land. He just keeps throwing. Add to that his range, chin, and great footwork and you have a seriously tough bout for PBF.
The majority of the time when pbf is being attacked he goes into his shell until his opponent stops throwing or until he spins out to range. Then once the opponent has exerted themselves, PBF lights them up. Margarito doesnt stop throwing though. He's going to keep PBF in his shell for a longer period of time than anybody Floyd has ever faced and eventually floyd will have to just fight him to keep up on the cards. 100 punches per round from a composed fighter with good power is a hell of thing.

Would be very interesting and would without a doubt be Floyd's toughest opponent to date.

Do you really think Margarito is some kind of offensive technician? He's a very good fighter, but it's not like he has plans B through Z. You need that to compete with Mayweather, let alone beat him.

I'm not talking about needing plans B through Z. I'm saying that he handles people shelling up well. I don't think it's that smart of a thing to do with him. Like with Cintron, Margarito was jumping to different positions to hit him at other angles, while alot of other guys just stand there and try to pound away - wasting punches.
It wouldn't be a good game plan for Floyd to stand against the ropes shelling up and trying to role with the punches - not with Margarito.

I heard the EXACT same things said before the De La Hoya and Hatton fights. To a word.

^^haha. There's definitely some truth to that. Kidding aside, I noticed that Margarito's punches seem slow and kinda predictable. And someone said in the other thread that Margarito showed good footwork for Cintron. I just didn't see that at all. There were times actually that looked like his body was extending a certain direction and that his legs lagged behind.

The footwork comments (that ive seen and what I noticed) referred to his ability to get around the other side of cintron seemingly at will. Cintro would duck under and Margarito was able to pivot and step around to the side to present new angles for Cintron to worry about.

I think Margarito is a different animal than De la Hoya and Hatton. Oscar's always had talent, but he's been out of the game for a long time. He basically threw volume shots wherever he could get them to land, because he doesn't have the reflexes he used to. You can't take off two years, have one fight with Mayorga and expect to win a shooting match with Mayweather. As for Hatton, what can I say? Exciting fighter, but if you neutralize his clinch, he looks very mortal. I'm not saying beating these guys is an easy feat, it's just that Margarito represents a different set of problems.

Like Tam said, i'm not sure Margarito would adjust if Mayweather neutralized his attack, but i'm also not sure that Mayweather's plan B, C and D will be effective if he can't roll with everything that's being thrown at him.

I heard the EXACT same things said before the De La Hoya and Hatton fights. To a word.

Well if the fight ever happens then we'll see.

The difference with Hatton though is that Floyd's punches were too much for him. His head seemed to snap back every time Floyd would hit him. I don't think Margarito has too much to worry about in regard to Floyd's power. That doesn't mean Floyd won't outbox him

However, with Oscar I thought people were saying that he doesn't go to the body as often as Mexican boxers typically do.

PBF would be a hell of a fight for Margarito

Floyd doesn't use his legs a ton, he WILL stand their and try to parry Margarito's attacks. I don't see how Floyd wins enough rounds over 12. How exactly? I don't see how the stuff Floyd landed on the likes of Hatton and Baldomir would deter Margarito in the slightest.

Hatton and Margarito are totally different fighters. No comparison can be drawn from Hattons fight with PBF. Hatton is actually not a good infighter, he's always smothered his work.

Back