Man who tried to murder three Canadian soldiers because Allah told him to is free to attend college

Not here to argue about if he should be free or not. Do you not think people convicted of serious crimes should be allowed to attend college? It seems that if they have served their time to satisfy the government, they should be free to continue their lives.

Oh, FFS.

Yet in its own reasons for decision, the board also found Ali, who suffers from schizophrenia, “still poses a significant threat to the safety of the public” and “holds some of the same delusions, that he experienced at the time of the (attack).”

Bruh...
This is why he isn't being released to the street as a free man.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-n...entre-attack-allowed-to-attend-mohawk-college

Very progressive. They hope he will eventually be allowed to attend classes on his own, despite the fact that he “holds some of the same delusions, that he experienced at the time of the (attack).”.

Because if there's anyone I want in my group projects, it's a delusional terrorist and soldier of Allah with a vengeance.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-stabbing-military-recruitment-centre-1.3491719

What do you think? Should this guy be put away forever, for trying to attack 3 Canadian soldiers? Or should he simply get to live a normal life afterwards? To be fair, Allah did tell him to do it, so it's all good in the end, right?
He was a good boy and has plans to go to college.

Yeah, I'd read it. He's not being released freely into the public. He's going with constant supervision. As in he goes to class while supervised and returns to the psych unit after class. He can't go alone until he's cleared to do so.
I would feel real safe attending a college course with a mentally unstable person that needs a handler. Forget the rights and feelings of sane people so this person can get an education. At least the 3 soldiers he attacked were not killed.

I think it's less interesting that a schizophrenic guy is couching his crazy in religious language, but I'd still want to hear a lucid denouncement of his actions and reasoning for those actions before allowing him any time in public.

But rather an enclosed space with tens of people. Smooth move.

He's been in an enclosed place with tens of people for the last 2 years. The experts evaluating him obviously feel he is ready for increased privileges. The goal is to place patients in the least restrictive level of care with the eventual goal of helping them reintegrate into the community.

I would feel real safe attending a college course with a mentally unstable person that needs a handler. Forget the rights and feelings of sane people so this person can get an education. At least the 3 soldiers he attacked were not killed.

I'm not saying it's a pleasant thing. What I was asking earlier is that if the man wasn't convicted of a crime, the school is across the street and he's not going unsupervised...what other thing should he be doing with his time? At least an education might have an effect on his treatment, assuming that the psych unit is monitoring what courses he's allowed to take.

I'm not saying it's a pleasant thing. What I was asking earlier is that if the man wasn't convicted of a crime, the school is across the street and he's not going unsupervised...what other thing should he be doing with his time? At least an education might have an effect on his treatment, assuming that the psych unit is monitoring what courses he's allowed to take.
It's not a crime only because our idiotic lawmakers say it isn't. As far as I'm concerned, if you attempt to stab 3 Canadian soldiers you are guilty of attempted murder at the least. The only reason he isn't in prison for the rest of his life is because he is exploiting loopholes in the system.

And you must have missed the part where they want him next year to go unsupervised, despite still showing signs that he is dangerous.

Nothing really to see here. He was found NGRI and is getting treatment. It looks like in Canada they periodically go before a review board that consists of multiple mental health professionals, a lawyer, some community person, and a judge who will determine the appropriate ongoing level of treatment and what sort of privileges may be suitable. Sounds pretty standard.
Pathetic

He's been in an enclosed place with tens of people for the last 2 years. The experts evaluating him obviously feel he is ready for increased privileges. The goal is to place patients in the least restrictive level of care with the eventual goal of helping them reintegrate into the community.
Heavily supervised mental institution/a classroom same thing whatever

It's not a crime only because our idiotic lawmakers say it isn't. As far as I'm concerned, if you attempt to stab 3 Canadian soldiers you are guilty of attempted murder at the least. The only reason he isn't in prison for the rest of his life is because he is exploiting loopholes in the system.

And you must have missed the part where they want him next year to go unsupervised, despite still showing signs that he is dangerous.

What you think he should be guilty of is irrelevant to what's happening to this person in real life where he is not guilty of a crime.

I didn't miss the part about "wanting". Maybe you missed the part where they say it only happens if he passes their evaluation?

99% of your post is getting upset about what you wish things were and disregarding what they actually are.

he is exploiting loopholes in the system.

lurch-nono.gif

What you think he should be guilty of is irrelevant to what's happening to this person in real life where he is not guilty of a crime.

I didn't miss the part about "wanting". Maybe you missed the part where they say it only happens if he passes their evaluation?

99% of your post is getting upset about what you wish things were and disregarding what they actually are.
People like you guys will defend people who try to murder others because you want to feign pseudo-intellectualism. You guys are what is wrong with the first world right now.

What stops literally any person from claiming 'mental health' and not paying for their crimes?

Guy rapes and murders your mother? Oh wait a minute the guy had mental health issues, sorry he couldn't help it.
Guy opens fire in the middle of a crowd? Yup, mental health problems, can't send the guy to jail for that.
Guy beheads your entire family and forces you to eat their entrails? Sounds like a mental health issue to me, no sane person would do that! Let him out, he managed to convince some people that he wasn't a lunatic (after clearly being one) to get his freedom (arguably the most important thing in life).

People like you guys will defend people who try to murder others because you want to feign pseudo-intellectualism. You guys are what is wrong with the first world right now.

What stops literally any person from claiming 'mental health' and not paying for their crimes?

Guy rapes and murders your mother? Oh wait a minute the guy had mental health issues, sorry he couldn't help it.
Guy opens fire in the middle of a crowd? Yup, mental health problems, can't send the guy to jail for that.
Guy beheads your entire family and forces you to eat their entrails? Sounds like a mental health issue to me, no sane person would do that! Let him out, he managed to convince some people that he wasn't a lunatic (after clearly being one) to get his freedom (arguably the most important thing in life).

We get it, you either don't or choose not to understand how mental illness works.

Fortunately here in Canada we haven't gutted funding to treating mental illness and just throw them in prison with real criminals like our neighbours to the South. That's definitely working wonders for them.

He wasn't found guilty, the university is across the street and he's going while supervised.

I'm not sure what people want here? What should he be doing with his time while assigned to the psych unit if not going to college?
“I have a license to kill”.

Guilty of a crime or otherwise- this guy should never see the light of day whether in a psychiatric unit or max security

We get it, you either don't or choose not to understand how mental illness works.

Fortunately here in Canada we haven't gutted funding to treating mental illness and just throw them in prison with real criminals like our neighbours to the South. That's definitely working wonders for them.
If you attempt to kill random people you should either rot in jail or in a psychiatric ward. Sorry but I am against letting citizens get killed, I know it's too dumb of an opinion to even discuss with all you intellectual juggernauts, but I guess I am just not as evolved as you guys.

I rarely use the word cuckold to describe people, but you guys are really displaying signs of cuckoldry. Actually supporting someone that attempts to murder strangers and then letting them go back in public to potentially do it again? We almost need a word that's worse than cuckold to describe that.

You mean people like us will try to address reality instead of crying over something that is already resolved?

I find it amusing that paying attention to the legal reality is what's wrong with the 1st world and not your vengeance driven screed which doesn't seem to care what the law actually determined. Ok...

Also, I don't think "feigning pseudo-intellectualism" means what you think it means. "Feigning" equals pretending/faking. "Pseudo" means "not real" or "fake". Why would we be faking fake intellectualism?

<30>

"He continues to express concerns about the Canadian government and its interactions with Muslim countries", ok so now that we're in a beef with the actual birthplace of Islam, let's let him onto a college campus. Wtf?

Doesn't sound like he's all the way fixed yet. Maybe he never will be. I really don't see how this guy's story is any different than Muhammed's (piss be upon him) anyway - they both had voices in their head tell them to kill infidels.

Back