• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Mackenzie Dern (ranked 7) vs Angela Hill (ranked 13) Strawweight Fight May 20

Who wins?

• Total voters
Dern's discussion of her own fight I.Q. issues was unxpectedly candid.
~

Mackenzie Dern Reveals Biggest Mental Change for Angela Hill Fight

The Schmo

Apr 17, 2023

She’s saying the right things. But, talk is cheap. She’s easily champ material with her bjj. But she’s 10 fights into her UFC career and hasn’t done anything about getting her TD numbers up. So I’ve heard her say the right things before.

It’s a situation where I’ll have to see it to believe it. Since she gave birth she has her weight under control which is good of course. But climbing the ranks just doesn’t seem to be a priority. She still looks like a girl that wants to have fun.

Gillian is a good example of position over submission usually. There’s nothing wrong with winning on points if you can’t get the sub. And wouldn’t that be a fun fight now that they’re both at 115?

I have nothing against Dern, I’ve just been underwhelmed with her overall game considering that bjj background.

But anybody that just looks at Angie’s record and thinks they know her from that is not informed.

Weird that Dave talked so much about Rockhold, Chito, and Alex. But she seems focused and stuff. I guess we’ll see.

Good interview.

Thanks, man.

I disagree. She throws down.
She used too and I loved that version. Her last several fights are all decisions and half of them split decisions at that.

If she beats Dern, boring decision or not, I will stop talking. Just my opinion.

Hill has a good repertoire of striking. She's got decent technique and doesn't look like a soccer mom throwing handbags.

Buuuuuuut, Im supporting Derns boobies!

Level below gatekeeper I would say.

No one ranked at 13 in other divisions is really considered a gatekeeper that I can see. And that division is piss weak, so gatekeepers would be relatively higher not lower ranked.
Then you don’t know what you’re talking about. Top 10 is a contender period. Someone right outside 10 is a gatekeeper

I've long enjoyed watching both Hill and Dern.

Hill has solid striking technique and she's always willing to throw down. While primarily a striker with a hybrid karate style, she has improved in her wrestling and is no longer hesitant about going to the ground even if it's to quickly get back up. It will be interesting to see her takedown defense against Dern. Angela should want to keep this fight standing as much as possible.

Dern is world class in BJJ. If she gets a good position on the mat she can wrap things up with her wizardry. In her mma career she has struggled with getting takedowns. Though in her last fight her takedown percentage slightly improved. Her striking is wild but she hits hard. When she connects she is capable of doing damage.

Should be a fun scrap. It will test Hill's movement and takedown defense. On a good night she is capable of using footwork and technique to score a decision victory. I'd give Dern a slight advantage as she has more possible ways to win.

Never, in my life, have I ever seen a fighter with a more undeserving nickname like Hill.

Angela Hill is currently tied with Joanna Jedrzejczyk for having the third highest number of significant strikes landed in the UFC, at 1754 significant strikes. This means that at the very first signifcant strike she lands during this fight, Angela will relegate Joanna down to 4th place.

And, if Angela lands at least 53 significant strikes in this fight, she'll move into 2nd place, ahead of Frankie Edgar who is the current #2.

Angie's not close to achieving first place, however, as Max Holloway has a total of 3122 significant strikes landed in the UFC. He's far ahead.

http://statleaders.ufc.com/

GettyImages-1272182572.jpg

Last edited:
Back