machida oly lifting

lol@u people callin them there words fancy. yall be soundin po'
It's not that they are actually "fancy", more that his awkward and forced use of a few words and phrases is an extremely transparent attempt to avoid saying anything of substance.

To put it in "fancy" terms, he's using obfuscatory circumlocutions.

Aren't things like battle ropes, sleds and tyre hitting done as conditioning anyway? So you can't really compare the optimalness (big word) against strength training

Aren't things like battle ropes, sleds and tyre hitting done as conditioning anyway? So you can't really compare the optimalness (big word) against strength training

It's more strength & conditioning than real strength yes but some fighters from what I've seen from training videos really do ONLY that kind of stuff for strength since they are under the impression that it's "functional".
Fedor in the later part of his career didn't do weights but only stuff like tire hitting

Fedor's performance also declined really fast in the later part of his career.

Olympic lifts are extremely good for sports. They do come with bigger risk of injury during training though. That's the downside.

Wait, f13 is down on battling ropes? Always thought they seemed like a solid workout for cardio and muscular endurance (if inconvenient).

Brookfield himself is bull-strong:

MMA is too young/underdeveloped and has too small of a talent pool to necessitate training optimally to win.

That, and S&C is just a piece of the puzzle, and limit strength is a piece of that piece.

Finally, fuck off with battle ropes already.

This. All day.

The argument I provided suffices to establish that they are at best negligibly worse than other forms of strength training. As to why they are more beneficial, in light of their heavy use of dynamic movement patterns that resemble actual combat sport maneuvers one would expect them to provide a greater marginal contribution to fighting ability than static and artificial traditional lifting techniques.

Due to a paucity of experimental evidence on this subject, this is however merely a best estimate of the relative efficacy of those S&C regimes, subject to considerable uncertainty.

Speak English.

Wait, f13 is down on battling ropes? Always thought they seemed like a solid workout for cardio and muscular endurance (if inconvenient).

Nah, they serve a purpose. They just get lumped in with the human weapon super functional stuff.

Bosu balls have their purpose too honestly. It isn't in training but there is one.

I never really got into battle ropes, I have one but its hanging in a tree behind my place, I climb up and down it a few times a week.

It's not that they are actually "fancy", more that his awkward and forced use of a few words and phrases is an extremely transparent attempt to avoid saying anything of substance.

To put it in "fancy" terms, he's using obfuscatory circumlocutions.

Yeah, that guy is dressing up flimsy arguments with complicated words.

People who do that are either pompous, really easily impressed, or new to the world of thinking and studying things.

New flash for that guy- it is much more impressive if you can argue and present ideas using plain English.

I don't think people are that down on them. As you say, great tool for upper body muscular endurance. We are more down on people who

1) Don't understand that max strength has some value for almost all athletes
2) Don't understand that traditional barbell work done heavy and progressive is certainly the easiest and probably the most effective way to build max strength
3) Get confused about what tool is good for developing what- people who say you should do HIIT or balance on a bosu ball for strengt development (rather than doing strength exercises for strength work)
4) Make out like it's an either/or thing, like you have to choose between barbell work, HIIT, etc, you can't haven a programme which encompasses everything

Battle ropes, better known as "ropes".

Is a photo of a chick using [your training apparatus goes here] now accepted as evidence that something is legit, or even better, "functional"?

Battle dildos, the lot of it.

Sherdog's S&C community are devout fans of barbell training...which seems better than most of that BS like "dynamic functional shit".

Get strong with barbell first, before messing around with bosu balls.

I don't even get the functional training stuff.

Why not just do drills in your given combat sport instead?

Sherdog's S&C community are devout fans of barbell training...which seems better than most of that BS like "dynamic functional shit".

Get strong with barbell first, before messing around with bosu balls.

This.

Even more this. Rather than the "Squat 400lbs and that's all you need bro" straw man some people like to attribute to us, the real philosophy behind most of us is "hit the gym for an hour and keep it simple so you can get strong and spend more time rolling".

You clearly don't understand how gimmicks work.

Back