machida oly lifting

Not to discount the importance of strength, but I've been badly beaten many many times by guys I was waaaay stronger than. Limit strength, especially in a skill-dominant movement like the snatch, is a very very small piece of the puzzle.

We all know the big 3 and / or olympic lifting are prefered for most athletes in the world, I understand all this functional stuff get many people for fashion but they take it too much seriously...

Uhhh...

I was a 190 pounds when I was 17 and I could snatch 75 kg. I was FAT back then. FAT. I was a FAT 190-pounder, and Machida is a RIPPED 205-pounder. WTF.

MMA trainers need to change the way they train. WTF.

What's the use of being a skilled karate guy if a 155-pound weightlifter can snap you in half with his bare hands?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYMakTfVDWk

Man what's with your fixation on strength being the key component of combat sports?

Really? Hard to believe.

You mean rephrase, using words you are more likely to understand? Here you go:

Inferior training makes you less likely to win. MMA is competitive. Fighters want to win. There are many fighters. Inferior training is not an equilibrium. Fighters use battle ropes.

HHAAHAHAHAH, thanks for the laugh

1st: Eric probably forgets more about S&C than you will ever know about such subject matter.

2nd: your usage of buzzwords shows you don't understand shits about exercising

3rd: still, you haven't proved why battle ropes are superior to barbell training.

You should rename your username as ra-FAILED-Nadull. Guys like you just provide so much for me to laugh at (alone with the rest of S&C regulars).
Please don't stop posting here, spewing your bro science and shits

Technique is simply applying power and aggression properly.

Me kicking the asses of malnourished classmates back when I lived in Philippines during my elementary school years.

Literally the only time that they won in a fight against me was when they did their dirty little tricks, like clinching and bashing the top of my skull with their skinny, bony, clenched outer fingers (not the knuckles), or side-kick my belly before I realized that him and I are actually in a fight.

I'm sorry, but I simply do not believe that technique matters THAT much. Raw physical abilities trumps fancy tricks any day of the week. Wanderlei and Vitor are great examples of how far ferocity can get you.

Also, people who would rather dance in the ring than duke it out are the absolute most boring fighters out there. Alexander Karelin is a lot more exciting than all the Gracie brothers combined.

In a fight between two people with little or no training, ya physical attributes are gonna be the difference. Ya raw physical abilities are a huge advantage, but pure strength(while not useless) is pretty close to a non factor in striking. Speed and explosiveness are what make the difference, which can be improved to a degree with weight training, especially olympic weightlifting, but they you're not take someone with a natural vertical of 18" and have them dunking.

/facepalm

I had a 13-inch vertical jump when I didn't lift weights... Wanna know what happened after I squatted my bodyweight?

I'm assuming you didn't lose massive amounts of body fat between those two periods, as unnecessary body fat is huge in reducing explosiveness. Anyway congrats on being 1 in a billion my man, you're a true genetic freak.

I'm assuming you didn't lose massive amounts of body fat between those two periods, as unnecessary body fat is huge in reducing explosiveness. Anyway congrats on being 1 in a billion my man, you're a true genetic freak.

No... I have played basketball long enough to see some freakishly fast chubby guys. I was one of them ;).

1) None of that happened
2) No one cares.

Me kicking the asses of malnourished classmates back when I lived in Philippines during my elementary school years.

Literally the only time that they won in a fight against me was when they did their dirty little tricks, like clinching and bashing the top of my skull with their skinny, bony, clenched outer fingers (not the knuckles), or side-kick my belly before I realized that him and I are actually in a fight.

I'm sorry, but I simply do not believe that technique matters THAT much. Raw physical abilities trumps fancy tricks any day of the week. Wanderlei and Vitor are great examples of how far ferocity can get you.

Also, people who would rather dance in the ring than duke it out are the absolute most boring fighters out there. Alexander Karelin is a lot more exciting than all the Gracie brothers combined.

So you could win unless the guys you were fighting had actual fighting skills that proved to be better than your superior strength. Kinda contradicted yourself there.

No... I have played basketball long enough to see some freakishly fast chubby guys. I was one of them ;).

Damn guess I was wrong about that then lol from personal experience I had a 36" standing vert, gained between 15-20 lbs and was barely able to hit 28".

/facepalm

I had a 13-inch vertical jump when I didn't lift weights... Wanna know what happened after I squatted my bodyweight?

I'm assuming nothing much, at least not as a direct effect of squatting your bodyweight.

Damn guess I was wrong about that then lol from personal experience I had a 36" standing vert, gained between 15-20 lbs and was barely able to hit 28".

36" standing vertical? That's fucking impressive.

How did you measure that? Vids?

Really? Hard to believe.

You mean rephrase, using words you are more likely to understand? Here you go:

Inferior training makes you less likely to win. MMA is competitive. Fighters want to win. There are many fighters. Inferior training is not an equilibrium. Fighters use battle ropes.

No, I mean support your points with something other than assertions.

Is the concept of actually properly supporting a position that complicated? Apparently so.

I'm assuming nothing much, at least not as a direct effect of squatting your bodyweight.

36" standing vertical? That's fucking impressive.

How did you measure that? Vids?

Have an old adjustable basketball net in my front yard that has a messed up rim from falling over so many times, its tilted up so that at full extension its over 10ft. I measured my standing reach against a wall then measured the height of the net. My reach was 88", highest net I was able to touch was 124". No videos of me actually testing my vertical, the closest thing I have is me doing some jumps up steps(basically box jumps) at 48" and some single leg jumps at 36".

GSP was one of the most successful MMA fighters out there. He thought oly lifting was very important. He lost to Johny Hendricks, a guy who has deadlifts as a major part of his S+C training. Hendricks lost to Lawler, the now champion, who built quite a strength base with lifting. This means barbell training is dominant. Am I doing it right?

Arguments invoking incentive effects and steady state equilibria are often too involved for laymen to comprehend.

Pompously flashing around economics concepts as if they were the most important thing in the world, as if no one else in the world was familiar with them, whether they are relevant or not.

I am going to bet you are a first year economics student, or just took Econ 101.

Re "fighters use battle ropes"

....so what? They also use traditional exercises with barbells, dumbbells and kettlebells. People always think it's an either or proposition. But it's not. Everything can have its place when appropriately used. They're tools.

Would you use a hammer for every action whilst building a house? No.

Some examples: Weidman uses battle ropes. He also bases his strength program around improving his front squat.

Hendricks uses battle ropes. He bases his strength program around deadlifts.

GSP uses battle ropes. He bases his strength program around high bar squats and olympic lifts. He also does a lot of gymnastics.

I could go on and on. Battle ropes are a tool amongst many tools. They're great for building local muscular endurance or as part of various cardio circuits.

They're not good for building strength.

And they don't "mimic" movements in mma any more or less than deadlifts squats or other barbell related movements.

All that you've thus far provided is dogmatic bro science. Sure, you've dressed it up a little in a dog and pony show, but that doesn't say what you think it does. It actually just lays out your insecurities, transparently, for all to see. As Jaunty stated, you are most likely a first year economics student or something. You should grow out of this phase.

He looks like he sets up too close to the bar and can't get his knees out of the way fast enough.

Only on a Sherdog will you find a bunch of keyboard jockeys dissing professional level strength and conditioning coaches. Do you really think you know more than these guys because you jerked off to Starting Strength and did a few cycles of 5/3/1 and some kettlebells? Get a clue...

It's insane for an armchair QB to say that world champs and top level pros "aren't training properly".

Back