Machida is now training with dos Anjos' strength and conditioning coach

Are you a physical trainer? This guy was taught by Marv Marinovich who is a great physical trainer and got BJ Penn, a guy notorious for being lazy to get into the best shape of his life.

I have a physical trainer diploma for what it's worth. A lot of stuff that guy said just didn't add up in my book. But there are also experienced Strength and Conditioning coaches on this forum, and in that thread I linked they said Curson was just talking bullshit basically and just wrong on a lot of stuff.

Making improvements with a guy who is known for being lazy doesn't prove at all that you know about exercize physiology, it sooner says something about your knowledge of psychology.

Machida is 37. Is strength and conditioning isn't going to improve much and it should be expected to get worse as he ages.

You notice a lot of fighters in the twilight of their career trying to switch it up and find a different angle that's gonna revamp their career and usually it fails

I have a physical trainer diploma for what it's worth. A lot of stuff that guy said just didn't add up in my book. But there are also experienced Strength and Conditioning coaches on this forum, and in that thread I linked they said Curson was just talking bullshit basically and just wrong on a lot of stuff.

Making improvements with a guy who is known for being lazy doesn't prove at all that you know about exercize physiology, it sooner says something about your knowledge of psychology.

Have you ever read up on Marv Marinovich training? It's proven to work really well but a lot of S&C guys just don't know about that type of training so it doesn't surprise me that some people would write it off without knowing about it.

I like this move.
Man, he looked beyond turd against Romero in terms of power.
His punches looked worse than pillows against him, and let's not forget GayJesus was literally finished by Tim bloody Kennedy.

I don't think it's too late for one last title run by Lyoto. Back to LHW where his declining speed won't be as big a factor.

Nick Curson doesn't know what he talks about and makes stuff up apparently. http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f13/joe-rogan-podcast-s-c-coach-nick-curson-2996765/

I took a course with Nick, I also took a seminar that Joe Defeanco Hosted with Dave Tate, Jim Wendler of Elitefts.

The course I took with Nick was put on by Gavin Mcmullin who currently trains Miguel Cotto.

Gavin worked with Marv for a long time, so he learned a lot from him, Gavin gave Marv a lot of respect.

Defranco & the Elitefts guys train ppl differently than the marinovich guys. Joe talks about curson on his 6/11/15 podcast.

I personally use a little bit from both sides of the paradigm because every client is different.

Basically Speaking:

-Defranco is a traditional power lifting/strength guy. He said he was against using the Olympic lifts when I took his seminar in 2008.
-he focused on lifting as heavy as "humanly possible". But he also emphasizes good form for each athlete (based on that athletes morphology or body Type)
-joe focuses on the "broad strokes" of strength (Squat, deadlift, bench, pull ups).
-Joe talks frequently about getting his guys "as jacked as humanly possible".

-Curson is a sport specific speed guy. He will focus on muscle imbalances, from ankle mobility to spinal stability.
-more muscle doesn't = a better athlete
-footwork is at the foundation of nicks program
-wants to teach athletes how to accelerate (concentric training, aka isokonetics/plyometrics.

There is a lot more to each, but the bottom line is that both training styles work, depending on the athletes specific needs.

I would steer more advanced athletes towards a "Curson/Marinovich" approach.

I would steer skinny weak below average guys to Defeancos.

Also understand that Joe Defeancos methods are very effective & he has evolved a lot since I went to his seminar. I plan on doing his new certification soon.

If anyone has any specific questions lmk & I'll try to answer.

Interesting, and certainly nice to hear.

Can't say that overall strength and fitness really seemed to be problem for Machida though...

More like he seemed way too defenseless and ineffective in positions he had been put in recently.

He offered like NO resistance to those Romero elbow attempts. For a pro standards at least.

hopefully he will provide him with them good good supplements

I took a course with Nick, I also took a seminar that Joe Defeanco Hosted with Dave Tate, Jim Wendler of Elitefts.

The course I took with Nick was put on by Gavin Mcmullin who currently trains Miguel Cotto.

Gavin worked with Marv for a long time, so he learned a lot from him, Gavin gave Marv a lot of respect.

Defranco & the Elitefts guys train ppl differently than the marinovich guys. Joe talks about curson on his 6/11/15 podcast.

I personally use a little bit from both sides of the paradigm because every client is different.

Basically Speaking:

-Defranco is a traditional power lifting/strength guy. He said he was against using the Olympic lifts when I took his seminar in 2008.
-he focused on lifting as heavy as "humanly possible". But he also emphasizes good form for each athlete (based on that athletes morphology or body Type)
-joe focuses on the "broad strokes" of strength (Squat, deadlift, bench, pull ups).
-Joe talks frequently about getting his guys "as jacked as humanly possible".

-Curson is a sport specific speed guy. He will focus on muscle imbalances, from ankle mobility to spinal stability.
-more muscle doesn't = a better athlete
-footwork is at the foundation of nicks program
-wants to teach athletes how to accelerate (concentric training, aka isokonetics/plyometrics.

There is a lot more to each, but the bottom line is that both training styles work, depending on the athletes specific needs.

I would steer more advanced athletes towards a "Curson/Marinovich" approach.

I would steer skinny weak below average guys to Defeancos.

Also understand that Joe Defeancos methods are very effective & he has evolved a lot since I went to his seminar. I plan on doing his new certification soon.

If anyone has any specific questions lmk & I'll try to answer.

I 100% agree with what you said.

I also think a lot of guys dismiss Marinovich's training methods because they are very unorthodox, but they deliver great results obviously.

Seeing what he did to RDA...The PED theories will go insane around here.

Machida still has a few good fights left. The Dragon isn't done just yet.

I would like to see him move back up to Light heavyweight shredded, He won't have to cut so much weight and this time he will be stronger.
I heard how intense the strength and conditioning was on the Joe Rogan's podcast dos Anjos looks great.
What thread is that I'd like to clarify some things, and correct some typos.

Back