Lyoto Machida: "I want to fight 3-4 more years, easily"

His next fight will tell us a lot about what state he's in. Coming back from getting dismantled twice in a row might be tough.

I'd like to see what Curson can do with him..

If he looks rejuvenated then why not ?

Just like how Anderson signed a 20 fight contract... I just hope lyoto doesn't tarnish his career as well to make up for aging!

Perhaps the new strength and conditioning coach can use the same "treatments" on Machida that seem to have revived RDA's career

I hope not. He seemed to get so old so quickly after his Weidman fight.

Not so smart decisions made by Machida recently.

Not taking enough time between fights was very detrimental against Romero.

Not fighting smart and cautious like he used to is costing him w's.

But I don't really think MMA is evolving like it used to, I don't see guys getting that much better. I think maybe if there is some sort of injury streak at the top 5, he has a shot or if he makes some changes/learns some new things he can catch up to top 5

The guy has lost to elite competition. Exception would perhaps be Romero, I'm very surprised with that loss and I'd take Machida in a rematch every day. Still, losses aren't against fringe top 10 fighters - it's against highly ranked opponents. I don't quite understand why you need to retire if you lose to the elite. If Machida continues to lose and in a devastating fashion, then for his sake he should retire. Based on his recent fights, there is nothing that indicates he is "done" and should retire. People are quick to pull the trigger when a fighter loses. If Machida loses to the likes of Jardine and Franklin like Iceman did, then it is definitely time to retire.

I wouldnt mind him moving back up...just to see what he can do. Not much more he can do at mw the top two contenders have beaten him.

But I don't really think MMA is evolving like it used to, I don't see guys getting that much better. I think maybe if there is some sort of injury streak at the top 5, he has a shot or if he makes some changes/learns some new things he can catch up to top 5

i dont think thats true,i mean it varies with divisions,but look at MW now,its a million times better than it used to be,and I dont see him cracking the top 3 at mw anymore. He is too old to change,he lives and dies by his unique style.

Nah, Whittaker is going to beat Bisping. He's much better defensively than the people Bisping has been fighting lately, while being much more effective and technical with his offense. Here is a gif of Bisping's finish of Cung Le, where he repeatedly backed Cung into the cage and unleashed combos.

SeveralWarlikeBlueshark.gif

Here is a gif of what Robert does when pressured into the cage. He moves his head off the center line, cuts an angle and returns fire without over exposing himself, staying tight but punishing Clint. This is a stark contrast to Cung Le covering up with his gloves and retreating, eating shots JDS style. Granted, Bisping is a much better striker than Clint Hester. Still, this should give people an idea of how technical Robert is compared to who Bisping has been fighting lately. Leites left much to be desired defensively as well.

Whittaker-Hester-1.gif

One more gif of The Reaper being a badass. The left hook that misses would have been nasty

DifficultDependableIberianemeraldlizard.gif

you know that cung le was like almost dead when that final bisping flurry happened, right

other than that, good post

and if lyoto comes back with a nice shape (mousasi fight shape) and maybe with cordeiro on the corner, i think he would still have something to show

i think he can beat guys out of the top 5 no problem but the game is catching up with him now.

He had a diminished aura his last fight

Machida has slowed down because he is not training a system that requires speed but one that requires sitting in the pocket more. The bad part is that he is half in and half out. He is not that kind of fighter but Cordeiro has blended him RATHER than accentuate his karate style and Machida let him.

That being said, he has slowed. He has slowed because his pockets are full of cash.

Last time I saw fire from him was when he moved to LA. Then he started opening businesses, banging out multiple kids, living the surf type life and relaxing. He is a warrior because he now either puts people out fast or is carried out. JBJ choked him but the dude never tapped. Next time people talk of that just remember that Jones os huge with huge limbs and anyone can get caught in a sub but people make a choice to break to another man. Machida never did.

He can get back razor speed and footwork but he has got to abandon the blended style that he has.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Even if he's declined to the point where he's only fringe top 5 now, that's no reason to retire. You don't have to be a perennial contender to have a legitimate career. He still has the potential to climb back to the absolute top if he makes the right changes; he's got the talent.

He still has the potential to climb back to the absolute top if he makes the right changes; he's got the talent.

hes 37,what changes is he going to make at this point?

Damn, queue the checkered 3-5 record down the stretch into Tito country.

hes 37,what changes is he going to make at this point?
Small ones. He's not completely eclipsed by the rest of the division yet, he's just had a few setbacks against top 5 opponents. He doesn't need to reinvent himself or learn some facet of MMA he's been ignoring his whole career. Something as small as a change of scenery and some new, better training partners might be all he needs to reinvigorate.

Back