Luke's current career trajectory

TRUS8888

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
With all the threads on Luke v Costa it's pretty clear what the real main event is.

Although I don't mind Costa at all, I'm hoping Luke wins so we can enjoy more of his antics in the future. I figure a loss would probably send him into retirement.

Which makes me wonder where do you guys think Luke goes after a win tomorrow night?

He mentioned he wants a title shot, which is probably not going to happen. Although the one good thing going for him is that Adesanya is quite active as a champion and needs fresh contenders. The MW division is far different to when Luke lost the title and there was a handful of guys that could have rightfully fought next for the title.

So if Izzy gets through Poatan, does he fight Luke next? Luke vs Strickland could also be a possibility as that matchup was previously booked and would guarantee provide gold in the buildup.

With all the threads on Luke v Costa it's pretty clear what the real main event is.

Although I don't mind Costa at all, I'm hoping Luke wins so we can enjoy more of his antics in the future. I figure a loss would probably send him into retirement.

Which makes me wonder where do you guys think Luke goes after a win tomorrow night?

He mentioned he wants a title shot, which is probably not going to happen. Although the one good thing going for him is that Adesanya is quite active as a champion and needs fresh contenders. The MW division is far different to when Luke lost the title and there was a handful of guys that could have rightfully fought next for the title.

So if Izzy gets through Poatan, does he fight Luke next? Luke vs Strickland could also be a possibility as that matchup was previously booked and would guarantee provide gold in the buildup.
Buildup to Luke vs Strickland would certainly be entertaining. 2 of the biggest douches in one cage (Luke is obviously the biggest). Many will rejoice if either one gets knocked out, but I pick Luke in that one (assuming he still has half of the talent he used to).

Buildup to Luke vs Strickland would certainly be entertaining. 2 of the biggest douches in one cage (Luke is obviously the biggest). Many will rejoice if either one gets knocked out, but I pick Luke in that one (assuming he still has half of the talent he used to).
I just realized Strickland is booked vs Cannonier on Oct 15, maybe Luke fights the winner/loser of this?
It's just I really don't know who they give Izzy next (winner of Rob/Vettori? nah).
Luke is a character and if he wins impressively the UFC just might do it.

200.gif

stock_arrow_bending_down_md_nwm_v2.gif

Doom and gloom like a limp noodle. If Costa sparks him it’s time to retire permanently.

Always thought Luke was super talented …. No faith whatsoever now though

Costa tko

He’s in a very interesting spot right.

If he loses, he should definitely retire.

If he wins and Izzy beats Pereira, he could get the next title shot as Izzy has already beaten everyone else in the division.

I can't look at if he wins since I think it's a great chance he gets KO'd. All the reasons have been discussed. He's old, his chin is cracked, he had injuries and mentally he looks in a terrible place. Costa has looked great all week but of course the only thing that counts is tomorrow night in the cage.

Luke is going down, and then retires. He should stick to modelling. Father time has caught up with him. No shame in that.

I don't see him beating Costa at this point.
He could teach surfing classes or something. I don't know. Do what you want, Luke. You were a great fighter and the world is still your oyster. Who cares if you ain't the baddest hombre on the planet? There's only one, and it's Jon Jones, but that's just for now. All things must pass.

If Luke wins in impressive fashion I wouldn't be surprised if he got a title shot, although Dana would probably have something to say about it. He's a former champion and a fight with Adesanya would be cool if Luke is in good form.

LOL @ thinking this fight will lead to anything for Luke. He was very inactive even before the most recent layoff. His career is as good as over.

This is going to go exactly like Gustaffson's comeback did and both deserve to get humiliated after pissing away stardom that most fighters would kill for. A cautionary tale for any athlete who thinks likes on social media mean more than actual paid performances

Hard to talk about trajectory when it'll be his first fight in 3 years, and he fought like 4 times in 4 years before that.

So it's part time trajectory, I guess?

Luke might have been the best MW in the world for years, but his arrogance stopped him realising it.

Luke's return may mirror Coby Garbrandt's comeback, a surprise win against Assuncao and then back to the reality of fighting with a glass chin and more consecutive losses. Luke's chin cannot be fixed, he is done competing at the top level. He may beat Costa, unlikely but possible, but will quickly find fighting with an off button is difficult.

Luke's chin cannot be fixed,
Maybe so, but perhaps he can adopt Arlovski's strategy. For a while he was getting knocked out fairly often. But after some adjustment, only once since 2017.

Maybe so, but perhaps he can adopt Arlovski's strategy. For a while he was getting knocked out fairly often. But after some adjustment, only once since 2017.

Possibly. Not sure Luke's ego will allow him a conservative strategy.

Luke's career trajectory:

- Get's KO'd by Costa, leaves UFC
- goes to Bellator, leaves after losing 3 fights
- goes to BKFC, leaves after losing 3 fights
- final resting stop: Brazzers

Back