Lower Body and Punching Power

Most misunderstood thing when it comes to punching, your lower body is your base and if it isn't strong, you aern't strong, working your legs will help with your punching effectiveness.

OpethDrums said:
technique > strength

someone had to add the age old phrase didn't they

You need a solid base when you push off, like a sprinter

No base, no power

Goat Meal said:
That's what weak people say.
At 145 pounds, I have yet to meet anybody over 200 pounds who can punch as hard as me, except people who have had some training.

Goat Meal said:
That's what weak people say.
Call Tommy Hearns weak see what happens. His legs are tiny and I doubt he could squat over 200 pounds but he would decapitate you with one punch.

Punchers are born not made and in boxing technique is more valuable than muscle strength.
If your theory is true why dont powerlifters learn a little technique and win a title? They are obviously stronger than your average boxing champion so they be able to generate more power right?

try punching whilst standing on 1 leg, and youll get your answer

Chthon said:
At 145 pounds, I have yet to meet anybody over 200 pounds who can punch as hard as me, except people who have had some training.

truth. I'm 140 and I make guys twice my size cry............unless of course, as u noted, they have some training as well.

While u do need strength in your legs, a lot of people will think of this as doing 400 lb leg press equals punching power, which is ignorant. Technique is key, the most important aspect. Guys like Trinidad, Corrales, or Castillo, i bet they can't squat 300 or 400 lbs, but they punch a hell of a lot harder than guys that can (plus those who can bench alot).

I don't why you guys are getting so defensive. Can a small guy who has training punch harder than some untrained behemoth? Quite possibly, but why compare apples and oranges? I think that if everything else is equal the guy with the stronger foundation(legs, torso, etc,) will punch harder.

thecreator said:
try punching whilst standing on 1 leg, and youll get your answer
LOL! all doing that will show you is your legs provide you with the balance point to throw your body weight and hips behind a punch.

Boomstick said:
LOL! Well Golly now that i have tried punching on one leg i am going to start lifting weights because it has shown me the way to the title.

OpethDrums said:
technique > strength
Great punchers have strong legs. Maybe not in the same way lifters are strong, but the strength definitely contributes to great technique. Ever seen the Sugar Ray Robinson highlight? He is always moving and exploding off his legs with every punch. He might have had skinny legs, but I'm sure they were strong punching technique-wise.

you dont need any other strength than what you get from jump roping, jogging, and shadow boxing. it's just in all my experience, i cant think of a time that leg strength has helped me out. now FOOTWORK, thats a different story. LEG ENDURANCE (especially the calf), thats a different story.

in grappling leg strength is probably 100x more important though

I'm 230lb and I've yet to meet anyone under 200lb that can punch harder than me, training or not.

Technique is deathly important, but leg strength is important as well.

By leg strength, I mean planting and rotational strength.

Back