Lower Body and Punching Power

I think as you develop your technique, you will learn to plant your feet and pivot more. I found that as I continue to train boxing, my quads and calves ache more and more the next day. And now they're noticeably more ripped than they were before.

Just keep training, I guess...

i believe its the technique on how you deliver the punch. big guy or small guy it dont matter.

deadlyshaolin said:
I'm 230lb and I've yet to meet anyone under 200lb that can punch harder than me, training or not.

Technique is deathly important, but leg strength is important as well.

By leg strength, I mean planting and rotational strength.

"planting" and "rotational strength" is not something you will get from a weight training your legs. its something youll get from throwing punches. your technique controls how your body adapts to the training. you wont get hip rotation power in a punch by squatting, you will get it from using proper technique in training.

im not picking on you just saying

I wouldn't necessarily go out and do a bunch of squats to improve punching power, though. The trick is coordination. You want to have all of your body going in one direction and have all that generated power manifest itself at the point of contact with your fist.

It's like swinging a bat in baseball. First your legs, then your hips, swivel your upper body and keep your right (stronger) hand behind your shoulder for as long as you can before letting it go. Do not "shoulder" punches. Make sure the bottom of your back foot is exposed when you finish to ensure your hips are getting all the way around.

I think it helps to have powerful legs, because a lot of the power from a punch comes from the base. without the strong base the punch will be weaker. although obviously the snap of the waist is crucial as well

Back