Lotus BJJ NYC

Kakkarot

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys i just wanted to open n share my first experience at Lotus on this past fri. where Professor Eduardo Santos teaches.

I REALLY enjoyed myself and the training ...

it was open mat ...no matter it was a good class and a few guys came.... most of the members i would take it went to Pan Ams the day before in Cali.

Anyway (who knew there was a freaking BJJ place in my freaking backyard LOL )i went and i chatted witha couple of guys who were waiting for someone to pop up and run the class .

the cool guy that ran the class was a purple belt and was down to earth ..we all got aquanted (sp) n chatted like we already knew each other n got changed n down to business did warm ups n stretching along with mimic moves n all to warm up the body. We worked on mainly triangles from the guard . the small details in the execution of it made so much difference that i for some reason just hadnt noticed or forgotten since a long stint out of bJJ. It was like learning again but from a another perspective and in a scientific way where i actually could "see" it and why it was necessary for ALL the mechanics to work synergystically . Not just a "move".

For respectful purposes i wont say the name but will say "G" next had us do some knee on belly drills which i SUCKED on lol . About 20 min later another purple belt showed up (will call him "M"). M was also a cool ass dude to train with n gave me a few pointers n all ( WOW free privates what can i say!!?)

G had paired up M and me to roll... i figured we would roll a ciouple times or so n that would be it ....NOPE ... what i thouight would just be a few min or couple sessions of rolling turned into about an hour of just rolling n sparring LOL!! the class was scheduled from 10- 11 30 next time i looked it was darn near 1 oclock almost !!! It was just me n him afterwards as we practiced him on the bottom and i did from the top. M was a good grappler and gave me pointers here n there which i truly appreciated and i feel that would improve both of our games.

All in all both M and G were class acts that made me feel welcomed as one of them . Its been a long time since i felt "alive" and that experience truly brought that spirit back which was so long stale. :) Especially after my emotional drainage due to my break up with my ex a few months ago after 5 years along with my dying pops with terminal illness... this was the jumpstart i needed and i would like to thank the guys at LOTUS. CAnt wait to get back there monday to get beat up some more.

Awesome, man. I'm happy for you. I'm also sorry about your ex-gf and your dad too, bro. I know how it feels to just get over a girl you've been with for a long time, so I'm happy something came along to inspire some semblance of peace and happiness within you. And, I give my prayers to your father. I know he's dying from a terminal illness, but perhaps a miraculous event can occur. Even if that doesn't occur, cherish these days with him as the best and always remember him.

Maybe I'll stop by there and check it out myself. If I do, you'll immediately recognize me; I usually wear an orange hoodie and a pulled down beanie hat. =P

Roll safe, roll free!

Regards,
breather1.

Glad you checked out lotus!!!
They are a great group of guys who genuinely care about your progress. I had the same thing happen to me in my trail class, if I didn't understand something, one of the purple belts would literally take me to the side and drill it with me till I did. Awesome place.

If I finally decide to do BJJ over muay thai, You will definitely see me at LOTUS kakkarot.

Anyways,

Good luck.

i've competed against lotus guys before. they definitely seem like a great tight-knit group.

breather1-

thanks for the kind inspirational words bro and i wish u well the same man :) i encourage u to come by man u wont be sorry--lord knows i wasnt!!

agent809-

ok bro i hope to meet ya soon there man...did u happen to check out Sitan by any chance or just said HELL with it ..BJJ RULES?!! lol .

Mikey-
Wow i guess i am at the right place and i definitely aint going no where else then!!

u guys will pretty much figure out who i am..i will (i am betting) be the biggest guy there *hint hint* :)

breather1-

thanks for the kind inspirational words bro and i wish u well the same man :) i encourage u to come by man u wont be sorry--lord knows i wasnt!!

agent809-

ok bro i hope to meet ya soon there man...did u happen to check out Sitan by any chance or just said HELL with it ..BJJ RULES?!! lol .

Mikey-
Wow i guess i am at the right place and i definitely aint going no where else then!!

u guys will pretty much figure out who i am..i will (i am betting) be the biggest guy there *hint hint* :)

sup bro,
I won't check out sitan yet. I'll do it if I decide on concentrating on muay thai..But for now I'll train at a place that offers both bjj and muay thai. It will most likely be Ronin Athletics, but today I'll be checking out NYSANDA to see if I like it better.

But like I said, this will only be until I choose which style I like better.

If you live near Astoria, Lotus is a great place to train. The people there are really cool. Not a lot of academies where everyone is approachable.

breather1-

agent809-

Mikey-

Hey man, how many no-gi days do they have at lotus?

AGent-

u need to get ya butt to Lotus man iam telling u it is like da BOMBEST place for BJJ man!!ANOTHER great traiining (monday nite) couple of guys placed at PanAMs one was a purple belt in the 200--210 lbs class for the GOLD!! :) he popped up to the class later that nite n we all cheered for him n congradulated him. Most of the "baddasses" were not there yet n prob went to rest from Panams...we still had a few guys to show up--about 8-10. the atomosphere there was as if i knew these folks and ihave never seen ANY of them in my life!!! LOL

not sure when the no gi ..i was told its mostly gi but they have openmat on friday so can be gi or no gi

gdstrm is the most CORRECT!!

AGent-

u need to get ya butt to Lotus man iam telling u it is like da BOMBEST place for BJJ man!!ANOTHER great traiining (monday nite) couple of guys placed at PanAMs one was a purple belt in the 200--210 lbs class for the GOLD!! :) he popped up to the class later that nite n we all cheered for him n congradulated him. Most of the "baddasses" were not there yet n prob went to rest from Panams...we still had a few guys to show up--about 8-10. the atomosphere there was as if i knew these folks and ihave never seen ANY of them in my life!!! LOL

not sure when the no gi ..i was told its mostly gi but they have openmat on friday so can be gi or no gi

gdstrm is the most CORRECT!!

Yeah after much digging I decided on BJJ. and Lotus.

Ima be there this week. If it helps, I'll be the short Dominican guy with the gameness gi. lol

LOL!! no plm man ..:) i usually am going to be there on the morning classes...on mondays i will come in the evening since i am off that day ( maybe later on will just do both classes on monday)

hope to see ya soon bro

:)

I met Eduardo Santos (instructor) well down to earth cool dude man :) n humble.

Hey good luck,

I trained with them a few times. Camillo is a great guy and good instructor.

The head instructor is very nice too!!!

i hear they open a new place on northern BLvd close by.

Best of luck to them, they place a lot in tournaments.
i hope i can get back there soon,

Hey I started grappling because I needed a hobby to get over my ex

and i stuck with it because it was actually something which gave me something in return for all the effort I put in. So just keep at it and you'll earn what you put in

Wish you best of luck

Two purples run the school? Dang, I gotta get moving and open up a gym.

Back