Lost Ark getting US release! Amazon games new 4k trailer

Dont know if it was the 4 hours of sleep i got last night and or my mindset from being the sixteenth hour of my seventeen hour game session. Segment of one quest line nearly brought me to tears.

I was under the impression you weren’t thrilled with this game..

are you addicted now? Are you past lvl 50 yet?

I really don't mind spending money on these sort of games if it's worth it and the game is well made. I'm not going to worry about it now and just see for myself and if the prices are reasonable then I'll be fine spending it.
Ew. Don't be a part of the problem. Paying for things like XP boosts and revives incentivizes developers to put walls in your way that you can pay to bypass. They could just make the game as fun as possible in it's standard iteration, but instead they're rewarded for intentionally creating problems and selling you the solutions.

Ew. Don't be a part of the problem. Paying for things like XP boosts and revives incentivizes developers to put walls in your way that you can pay to bypass. They could just make the game as fun as possible in it's standard iteration, but instead they're rewarded for intentionally creating problems and selling you the solutions.

XP boost and revives I have no interest in purchasing. Other things though I could see myself spending money on if I have fun with the game. Almost every time I spend money on a game like this it's more to give back to the dev giving me a FTP game and less about actually really wanting\needing anything they are offering.

They could also just have the items available for convenience. Not everything is a grand conspiracy.

XP boost and revives I have no interest in purchasing. Other things though I could see myself spending money on if I have fun with the game. Almost every time I spend money on a game like this it's more to give back to the dev giving me a FTP game and less about actually really wanting\needing anything they are offering.
I can get onboard with that when it's a game where I really don't feel penalized for choosing not to spend money like POE (other than some stash tabs). A mechanic like the one described where you can buy a finite resource that saves you a large amount of time reeks of intentionally making you do something unfun so they can sell you the solution.
They could also just have the items available for convenience. Not everything is a grand conspiracy.
Yeah, I'm sure it's a complete accident that the Korean MMO market is driven by microtransactions in extremely grindy games. I'm sure it's a complete accident that the western market has taken on a lot of similar mechanics. I'm sure it's an accident that Amazon sold a limited resource used for instant travel in a game that was supposed to be largely based on open world PVP.

Don't be so naive. Most large studios are driven by the dollar just like every other large corporation. The devs themselves probably love games, but the shareholders they answer to dgaf about you.

I used to think "I'm an adult with less free time now. I can't grind anymore. I don't mind paying for the convenience." That's a load of bullshit. Adults with jobs and kids have been playing MMOs casually for 20+ years. The problem isn't that you don't have time for leveling anymore, it's that leveling isn't fun anymore. Getting to endgame was a major part of the experience in old-school MMOs and was fun. It wasn't something you would want to pay to skip.

Other people pointed out to me the changes in game design and how it's entirely intentional. Since having my eyes opened to how it's negatively impacted the direction of MMO development overall, I've been disgusted by the entire concept.

KiraTV talks about this concept very frequently and even made a video specifically addressing it. I wholeheartedly agree with his take on it.

I can get onboard with that when it's a game where I really don't feel penalized for choosing not to spend money like POE (other than some stash tabs). A mechanic like the one described where you can buy a finite resource that saves you a large amount of time reeks of intentionally making you do something unfun so they can sell you the solution.

Yeah, I'm sure it's a complete accident that the Korean MMO market is driven by microtransactions in extremely grindy games. I'm sure it's a complete accident that the western market has taken on a lot of similar mechanics. I'm sure it's an accident that Amazon sold a limited resource used for instant travel in a game that was supposed to be largely based on open world PVP.

Don't be so naive. Most large studios are driven by the dollar just like every other large corporation. The devs themselves probably love games, but the shareholders they answer to dgaf about you.

I used to think "I'm an adult with less free time now. I can't grind anymore. I don't mind paying for the convenience." That's a load of bullshit. Adults with jobs and kids have been playing MMOs casually for 20+ years. The problem isn't that you don't have time for leveling anymore, it's that leveling isn't fun anymore. Getting to endgame was a major part of the experience in old-school MMOs and was fun. It wasn't something you would want to pay to skip.

Other people pointed out to me the changes in game design and how it's entirely intentional. Since having my eyes opened to how it's negatively impacted the direction of MMO development overall, I've been disgusted by the entire concept.

KiraTV talks about this concept very frequently and even made a video specifically addressing it. I wholeheartedly agree with his take on it.

Have you even played it?

Look, I'm not saying there aren't companies that take advantage of a mechanic that allows for nickel and diming. I'm saying let's not just assume it because it's Korean. Ive been playing it since early release and leveling is not an issue. I prefer to judge games based on experience with them, as opposed to assumptions.

Judge the game on it's own merits as a game, not by your worse case scenario. Almost every criticism you have is a vague allusion to a possibility, as opposed to a specific example of how this game is guilty of anything.

Have you even played it?

Look, I'm not saying there aren't companies that take advantage of a mechanic that allows for nickel and diming. I'm saying let's not just assume it because it's Korean. Ive been playing it since early release and leveling is not an issue. I prefer to judge games based on experience with them, as opposed to assumptions.

Judge the game on it's own merits as a game, not by your worse case scenario. Almost every criticism you have is a vague allusion to a possibility, as opposed to a specific example of how this game is guilty of anything.

This is why when people start talking about P2W and all that I just play for myself and find out. I remember Genshin Impact had similar complaints but the game is fun as hell to me and does not require you to spend money.

Have you even played it?

I didn't accuse this game of anything, ya goof. My post that you responded to was about a general problem in gaming.

The conversation started with a post about a time saving resource that has a limited, finite availability through gameplay being available for purchase. That's something that I'm fundamentally opposed to.

Why force the run back at all, if not to sell the resource to skip the run back? Why not just make the skip available for free? Or with a resource that can be infinitely harvested in game like gold or a rare loot drop?

played it.

Lasted 4-5 hours, the leveling process is fucking awful! Everything dies in 1-2 hits rinse repeat. Turns into just hit things with aoe an move on.

The little dungeons can just be faced rolled to even on "hard" mode.

I didn't accuse this game of anything, ya goof. My post that you responded to was about a general problem in gaming.

The conversation started with a post about a time saving resource that has a limited, finite availability through gameplay being available for purchase. That's something that I'm fundamentally opposed to.

Why force the run back at all, if not to sell the resource to skip the run back? Why not just make the skip available for free? Or with a resource that can be infinitely harvested in game like gold or a rare loot drop?

What do you mean why? It's a convenience that they can charge for. I dunno if you were a WoW player, but corpse running was a pretty common activity. If they put in some sort of way to bypass the corpse run, it doesn't mean that's why corpse running was invented in the first place. It's been part of online games since forever.

There's a balance to things like this. Remember, you can spend literally hundreds or thousands of hours playing this game and not pay a cent. If that means other people can pay for a convenience that'll save them a few minutes of time, to me it's not a big deal in and of itself because I'm playing an entire MMO for free with no subscription. Gamers tend to be pessimists that see every glass as half empty while also having a heavy sense of entitlement.

A FREE game, and the only thing I gotta deal with is stuff like doing the same corpse runs I've done in every other MMO ever? The same corpse runs I expected to do in this new game? Big meh from me, dawg.

What do you mean why? It's a convenience that they can charge for. I dunno if you were a WoW player, but corpse running was a pretty common activity. If they put in some sort of way to bypass the corpse run, it doesn't mean that's why corpse running was invented in the first place. It's been part of online games since forever.

There's a balance to things like this. Remember, you can spend literally hundreds or thousands of hours playing this game and not pay a cent. If that means other people can pay for a convenience that'll save them a few minutes of time, to me it's not a big deal in and of itself because I'm playing an entire MMO for free with no subscription. Gamers tend to be pessimists that see every glass as half empty while also having a heavy sense of entitlement.

A FREE game, and the only thing I gotta deal with is stuff like doing the same corpse runs I've done in every other MMO ever? The same corpse runs I expected to do in this new game? Big meh from me, dawg.
Corpse runs in and of themselves are not an issue. I like them as a mechanic, especially in heavily social games like early WoW. It's worth noting that you only have to run in most MMOs if the healer dies, which is usually only in a total wipe. That's not what it's like in Lost Ark. Running by yourself while everyone waits on you because you didn't buy any plumes is not the same at all. Players cannot rez each other at all in Lost Ark even outside combat. If you can't see that they have intentionally created an inconvenience to sell you a convenience, idk what to tell you bud.

My question stands. Why not make the bypass mechanic available through a resource that can be farmed in game?

I'm not saying Lost Ark is a bad game or even that it's pay to win. I'm just generally opposed to devs selling ways to make gameplay more enjoyable through microtransactions. I think it would be more ethical to make the game as fun as possible without microtransactions. It's just a monetization method that I disagree with in general because I think devs should be trying to make the best game possible, but trying to make an addictive early gameplay loop that will draw whales into the cash shop. I would rather pay for the game outright. You're free to disagree with me, but I think the evidence is overwhelming that F2P and microtransactions have not been good good for the quality of MMOs overall.

Last edited:
played it.

Lasted 4-5 hours, the leveling process is fucking awful! Everything dies in 1-2 hits rinse repeat. Turns into just hit things with aoe an move on.

The little dungeons can just be faced rolled to even on "hard" mode.

Yeah it's mad easy as fuck. The dungeons do increase in difficulty later on though. Yes you can still roll through pretty easily but random clicking will get you killed later also now cause the bosses can actually juggle and kill you if you aren't careful with your health meter.

I agree the leveling process is awful but there is something deeper that's untapped I think. The real meat and potatoes of this game is after you reach level 50 ~ I am not there yet but have read about it. There's a lot more to this game. The stronghold section which I poo-pooed at the beginning cause i only wanted to level up has become really interesting to me now. The ship sailing...

If I was to judged this game off of my first 4-5 hours of playing i would have said this game sucked ass. But now I think this game is actually solid to really good. I still haven't paid jack shit and there's a LOT to do.

Last edited:
Yeah it's mad easy as fuck. The dungeons do increase in difficulty later on though. Yes you can still roll through pretty easily but random clicking will get you killed later also now cause the bosses can actually juggle and kill you if you aren't careful with your health meter.

I agree the leveling process is awful but there is something deeper that's untapped I think. The real meat and potatoes of this game is after you reach level 50 ~ I am not there yet but have read about it. There's a lot more to this game. The stronghold section which I poo-pooed at the beginning cause i only wanted to level up has become really interesting to me now. The ship sailing...

If I was to judged this game off of my first 4-5 hours of playing i would have said this game sucked ass. But now I think this game is actually solid to really good. I still haven't paid jack shit but there's a LOT to do.

Yea I stopped leveling last night at about 17. I can tell there is more to this game here especially with what I read online but the leveling is kind of a chore. Better than other MMOs lately though cause at least it's just a lot of running around talking to people and quick fight here and there and you seem to get XP quick.

I was under the impression you weren’t thrilled with this game..

are you addicted now? Are you past lvl 50 yet?

Lets put it this way. This morning at 4am i realized it was Saturday. I lost track of what day it was three days ago. IEM Katowice groups are also going on. Where ive only watched one map.

Game still has the issues i originally posted. Where ive seen other glaring problems thatll hurt long term player retention(3-6 months) at endgame. With that said i believe this game is the new king of MMO's.

Yea I stopped leveling last night at about 17. I can tell there is more to this game here especially with what I read online but the leveling is kind of a chore.

Besides the character combat, scenarios and dungeons. Leveling content is the worst part about this game. At endgame the side quests are miles better than the main story. Where i'd like to put a double barrel shotgun in the mouths of the two main characters.

For me i approached every new zone in a mindless state to deal with the questing. Hoping that when i hit tab a dungeon was present.

Um, ive logged 98 hours in just nine days. Day of launch, day after launch and that Sunday i only played four'sh hours because of work.

With the way some of these side quests play out. People who worked on these elements at Smilegate arent game developers, theyre artists.

Corpse runs in and of themselves are not an issue. I like them as a mechanic, especially in heavily social games like early WoW. It's worth noting that you only have to run in most MMOs if the healer dies, which is usually only in a total wipe. That's not what it's like in Lost Ark. Running by yourself while everyone waits on you because you didn't buy any plumes is not the same at all. Players cannot rez each other at all in Lost Ark even outside combat. If you can't see that they have intentionally created an inconvenience to sell you a convenience, idk what to tell you bud.

My question stands. Why not make the bypass mechanic available through a resource that can be farmed in game?

I'm not saying Lost Ark is a bad game or even that it's pay to win. I'm just generally opposed to devs selling ways to make gameplay more enjoyable through microtransactions. I think it would be more ethical to make the game as fun as possible without microtransactions. It's just a monetization method that I disagree with in general because I think devs should be trying to make the best game possible, but trying to make an addictive early gameplay loop that will draw whales into the cash shop. I would rather pay for the game outright. You're free to disagree with me, but I think the evidence is overwhelming that F2P and microtransactions have not been good good for the quality of MMOs overall.

I already answered your question. Because its a way they can make money. The entire purpose of the game existing is so they can make money. As a consumer, I have to look at whether or not what Im getting is worth it. Personally, Im fine with some corpse runs if it means I get to play the game for free with no subscription. Im playing pretty casual and havent gotten to max level yet. Probably get there this week. But Im willing to bet the stuff you think is a big deal probably isnt. Getting from place to place in this game is remarkably easy. Theres travel points everywhere and you get a free mount at like level 2. Im around level 39 and theres been basically no dead time at all.

Last edited:
I’m having fun with it, and I’m only level 30! My favorite part of my old mmo days was PvP and dueling on WoW, I hear PvP is great in lost ark so I can’t wait to hit 50 and start becoming a PvP god lol ( I don’t lack confidence )

Paladin FTW

Back