Losing performances that were better than Colby's

Chandler vs Oliveira. Yeah I know he got stiffened in round 2, but he was truly smashing Oliveira in round one, plus he got into the worst possible position (Charles's back control) and escaped with EASE.
Best 1st round I’ve seen in a long time. Maybe ever.

He was more than "decisive at times", he was winning rounds :rolleyes: the fight was a war until Usman
finished him in the last round.

Wanna say that one again, but slower?

Why should he? His post was completely in keeping with the TS's example:

War Rory, your losing performance against Robbie was legitimately worthy of celebration.

Since getting finished isn't a deal breaker for having your performance celebrated, why should @1BadMF re-examine his statement? He is saying that the TS is understating Colby's performance (who won rounds against a guy who rarely loses rounds) while simultaneously honoring another guy's performance who also got finished (against a guy who often loses rounds).

Silva/Sonnen
Jones/Gus
Diaz/McGregor

Just to name a few
Just to name one you mean? Diaz/McGregor wasn't a title fight and no one was going "Well, Conor did week and was winning until.. so they should run it back." So it doesn't apply.
Jones/Gus was a 'controversial' decision, which fits the very category the TS want addressing, which i specifically state in the section you deleted from the quote. And TS mentioned getting finished, so it also doesn't apply.
Silva/Sonnen would be a good example, frankly the best because of how completely dominant it was until the comeback. But Sonnen still needed to beat Stann and Bisping to get back to a rematch, didn't he?

Why should he? His post was completely in keeping with the TS's example:

Since getting finished isn't a deal breaker for having your performance celebrated, why should @1BadMF re-examine his statement? He is saying that the TS is understating Colby's performance (who won rounds against a guy who rarely loses rounds) while simultaneously honoring another guy's performance who also got finished (against a guy who often loses rounds).
He should reexamine his statement because its very much NOT with what TS is saying. It's the very explicit example TS made for not deserving it. The point is that he lost. AND he wasn't even winning at the time he lost, like Rory (TS's example) or Chael (your example) were. It was a losing performance before the loss, and even if it wasn't, it was still a loss, and that's what matters

It's like the Weidman was "winning until he lost" thing. The most important word in the sentence is "lost." It's not reason enough for a rematch, and never has been.

Colby haters are out in full force today, must be the fact Usman is ducking Colby in favour of fighting Diaz
colby-covington-smile.jpg

(I was never a fan of Colby btw, wanted to see Usman shut him up. But since Usman started being a Duck, Colby seems so much more appealing now)

Colby bless

Oh yeah, the guy who defended his belt three times since they fought is the duck. Seriously with guys like Wonderboy, Leon Edwards, and even Luque coming up I really don't think you can sit on a massive 1 fight win streak over rapper Woodley and expect the shot.

Hendo - bisping 2...

Hendo dwmn near killed bisping in the fight and didn't have a scratch on him and somehow with UK judging he lost

Imagine that

We all know why they put so much stock in Colby's embarrassment. In their eyes, they have to make it seem like he did good. It's because he represents them and their mentality. Magatards can't look at fights objectively, or anything for that matter.

Colby got outlanded, out damaged, and finished. He literally got beat at his own game. Remember how he bragged about leaving Robby Lawler in a pool of his own blood? His face was damaged and bloody while Usman looked like he hadn't been in a fight. He talks about being able to break people and having endless cardio yet Usman beat him in that too. His performance was embarrassing because he got beat in his own game and then ran out the octagon and covered his head exiting the arena. Imagine if it was Usman in his position, it would be a national holiday for them and make all their favorite "news" outlets.

Anderson won 1 round against Chael.

He was more than "decisive at times", he was winning rounds :rolleyes: the fight was a war until Usman
finished him in the last round.
2ZJelE5.png

The official scorecard shows just how close the fight was. One judge had it 3-1 Usman, one had it 3-1 Covington, and one had it 2-2 going into the fifth. Yes, Colby would have lost the last round, but for all anyone knew at the time, he could have been up 3-1 and would have gotten the decision if the ref had let the fight go on.

Oh yeah, the guy who defended his belt three times since they fought is the duck. Seriously with guys like Wonderboy, Leon Edwards, and even Luque coming up I really don't think you can sit on a massive 1 fight win streak over rapper Woodley and expect the shot.
Defended twice against the same opponent, you might class that as a defence, but we all know it was a pad. Burns fair enough, he deserved it, but lets face it. Usman knows him inside out, and was always gonna be a win for him. Regardless if Burns rocked him

Has anyone been competitive with Usman other than Colby? I can’t think of anyone but then again I wasn’t paying attention to Usman in the beginning since he was incredibly boring. Colby performed better than the last couple of fighters who have faced Usman so I don’t quite see the problem with giving him credit for his performance. If Masvidal can rematch Usman even after getting dominated for five rounds, then someone who was competitive may deserve a shot. I don’t think Colby should be next though, winner of Burns-Wonderboy is the only legit contender.

The only trend I actually find irritating on this forum is how much has been made of Colby's losing performance against Usman. I'm not a Colby fan and I don't think he deserves the rematch, but honestly that's not why Im bothered. I just find it objectively frustrating that an unprecedented level credit is being given to a decisive loss just because he was competitive at times during the fight. I mean, is the bar really that low? Usually when a loss gets hyped it's because someone was dominating before getting caught with a ko or sub, but the best argument for Colby is that he was even on the scorecards heading into the fifth. HE WASN'T EVEN WINNING BEFORE HE LOST! And don't come at me with that early stoppage shit either. He got consecutively dropped, and even if he could have survived, that would be a 10-8 round and a decisive loss (unless you wanna make the laughable claim that he could of got a finish).

But instead waisting more time explaining why a guy who got tko'd lost a fight, I thought it would be more fun to celebrate more noteworthy losing performances. I'll start with one of my favourites: Rory vs Lawler II.

Rory was well ahead on the scorecards heading into the fifth, having outpointed Robbie in the first, and then battered him in the third and fourth rounds with a series of strikes that would have finished any fighter that didn't have Lawler's inhuman level of durability. And even when Rory did get his face crushed in the last round, he simultaneously tore Robbie's lip open, which would have resulted in a stoppage if Rory had not first succumbed to his own, more extreme level of pain. War Rory, your losing performance against Robbie was legitimately worthy of celebration.
I’m no Colby fan, neither his gimmick nor fighting style. But Usman clearly cheated twice, faked a nut shot and eye poke when he was gassing hard and if it continued Colby may very well had finished him, Usman was getting tagged when he was exhausted. The breaks allowed him to have a rest

I feel like the points being missed or i missed the point. There are title fights that went to a decision where people argue the results, but that's a completely different category. To me, this thread is about how everyone is using his efforts before getting finished as argument that he should get another shot, as if that had ever mattered. When has that happened where a guy decisively lost a title fight, but people were like, "do it again cuz he did well"?

They lost.
Masvidal, oh wait, he didn't even do well and still got it

So it’s ok for Colby to duck every contender in the division but when Usman wants the guy whose jaw he broke less than two years ago to earn another shot it becomes an issue? I’m just trying to follow the logic here. Seems like a double standard.
"other contenders" like Nate Diaz right?

"other contenders" like Nate Diaz right?
Wonderboy is on a decent streak.

bruh, even Luque and leon would have been better choices than making his record of two peope title reign look like cain’s(at least he had the excuse of being injured all the time).

I just hope he gets to face khamzat before he retires.(usman said he is retiring in a couple of fights)

I feel like the points being missed or i missed the point. There are title fights that went to a decision where people argue the results, but that's a completely different category. To me, this thread is about how everyone is using his efforts before getting finished as argument that he should get another shot, as if that had ever mattered. When has that happened where a guy decisively lost a title fight, but people were like, "do it again cuz he did well"?

They lost.
Well Stipe did like beyond poorly, could not get anything, got out strucked, out grappled, did not seemed to have even a puncher chance and yet people want a rematch... And the UFC is giving it to him... Then Dana will criticize Jake and Logan Paul...

Back