Losing performances that were better than Colby's

The only trend I actually find irritating on this forum is how much has been made of Colby's losing performance against Usman. I'm not a Colby fan and I don't think he deserves the rematch, but honestly that's not why Im bothered. I just find it objectively frustrating that an unprecedented level credit is being given to a decisive loss just because he was competitive at times during the fight. I mean, is the bar really that low? Usually when a loss gets hyped it's because someone was dominating before getting caught with a ko or sub, but the best argument for Colby is that he was even on the scorecards heading into the fifth. HE WASN'T EVEN WINNING BEFORE HE LOST! And don't come at me with that early stoppage shit either. He got consecutively dropped, and even if he could have survived, that would be a 10-8 round and a decisive loss (unless you wanna make the laughable claim that he could of got a finish).

But instead waisting more time explaining why a guy who got tko'd lost a fight, I thought it would be more fun to celebrate more noteworthy losing performances. I'll start with one of my favourites: Rory vs Lawler II.

Rory was well ahead on the scorecards heading into the fifth, having outpointed Robbie in the first, and then battered him in the third and fourth rounds with a series of strikes that would have finished any fighter that didn't have Lawler's inhuman level of durability. And even when Rory did get his face crushed in the last round, he simultaneously tore Robbie's lip open, which would have resulted in a stoppage if Rory had not first succumbed to his own, more extreme level of pain. War Rory, your losing performance against Robbie was legitimately worthy of celebration.
Translation Colby hurt my feelings lmao
Colby was usmans hardest fight by a mile and he is coming off a win of a former champion. Meanwhile usman is all about taking on jorge coming off a 5 to nothing loss and also calling out nate off a loss. So dont even bring up deserving lol

Hendricks wasn't a nobody at the time. He was a wrecking machine, knocking fools out like he was the star in a Bollywood movie. He's fallen off quite a bit but he was definitely something
Yeah he was a destroyer.

As much as some GSP haters try to dismiss that performance, it's impressive that GSP took his best shots and fought to the bitter end. Razor close decision.

best of the worst losers goes to nathaniel diaz for sure. made leon look like a drunk bus boy

Reactions: Ruv
Colby haters are out in full force today, must be the fact Usman is ducking Colby in favour of fighting Diaz
colby-covington-smile.jpg

(I was never a fan of Colby btw, wanted to see Usman shut him up. But since Usman started being a Duck, Colby seems so much more appealing now)

Colby bless
So it’s ok for Colby to duck every contender in the division but when Usman wants the guy whose jaw he broke less than two years ago to earn another shot it becomes an issue? I’m just trying to follow the logic here. Seems like a double standard.

Yeah he was a destroyer.

As much as some GSP haters try to dismiss that performance, it's impressive that GSP took his best shots and fought to the bitter end. Razor close decision.
I think it's a fight that shows the flaws in the scoring system. GSP barely won his rounds but got a 10-9 the same was Hendrick did. I remember watching it with my Dad who isn't an MMA fan and he was basically like wtf how did that guy win

He was more than "decisive at times", he was winning rounds :rolleyes: the fight was a war until Usman
finished him in the last round.

An OG sherbro shows his face
<DCWhoa>
Your handle reads like a license plate on an 80’s camaro or something. I dig it. That you in the AV?

Translation Colby hurt my feelings lmao
Colby was usmans hardest fight by a mile and he is coming off a win of a former champion. Meanwhile usman is all about taking on jorge coming off a 5 to nothing loss and also calling out nate off a loss. So dont even bring up deserving lol
Funny how when Edwards last win was former champ RDA, everyone was criticizing him and saying he needed a new opponent, even though RDA was off a win, unlike losing-streak Woodley.

He was more than "decisive at times", he was winning rounds :rolleyes: the fight was a war until Usman
finished him in the last round.
Wanna say that one again, but slower?

Some people had Colby up 3 rounds to 1 going in to the fifth, I thought it was likely 2-2 but Colby had landed many more sig strikes if my memory serves.

I wouldn’t call that a terrible stoppage but I thought it may have been early, he was definitely not KO, and was defending himself.

Strikes that were landing at the end of the fight were to the back of the head, but I realize the refs don’t call that all the time.

Whittaker/Romero 2.

Actually imma go ahead and rewatch it asap
I rewatched that fight and the first one last night. I gave it to Whittaker without much difficulty. But I have to remind you I’m a Whittaker fan.

Chandler vs Oliveira. Yeah I know he got stiffened in round 2, but he was truly smashing Oliveira in round one, plus he got into the worst possible position (Charles's back control) and escaped with EASE.

Back