Loop chokes

ozyabbas

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have been caught now and again, usually by small and quick guys by loop chokes. Today I was actually choked unconscious. I was wondering how you guys defend against it.

I know the best defence would be not to expose myself to it but I was wondering what you could do just as the person puts it on.

Oli, your input would definitely be appreciated.

Oli somehow managed to do some kind of flying loop choke on my team mate, I think the match lasted about 10 seconds.

Keep your head in the centre of their body. Like, driving into the centre of their chest. As soon as you go off-centre, they get leverage. From there, as long as you stick to their body like glue, you're safe. Anticipation can also help with clearing the hands off the back of your head, but if it's on deep, that's the way I go. Generally though, keep the chin tucked, be aware of it, control the arms, and it shouldn't really be a danger. ^_^

Just that. ^_-

Demonstration video!

From 7:55!

Take care,

Oli

The defense is to keep your head up.

Once it's already on, the escape is basically to pull backward, push his forearm down and pop your head out. And don't let them turn sideways, that's how they add pressure to finish the choke.

Guys usually get caught in it when they're passing low with their head down. I often get it on people when they do the double underhook pass incorrectly.

Can I do a gratuitous loop choke collection thread? ^_^

Ahem.

Any more detailed questions you'd like answered? ^_^

Take care,

Oli

Cheers Oli.

For all of you guys outside of the UK, Oli is famous for his loop chokes from half guard.

I am usually wise to it when passing the half guard. Especially if I see their grip is in a position to do it.

This guy has almost caught me once (I was a bit quicker to defend), that was from when I was in the seated guard and he was standing. I wanted to try out a move that included feeding his gi through his legs. He slapped on the grip, jumped to the floor and tried to put both legs against my head. It put on a ridiculous amount of pressure and was very difficult to break the grip.

The second time he did it, he choked me unconscious. We were fighting for grips from the combat based. He stood up quickly, put the loop choke grip on and jumped and did the same thing. When he put the second leg against my head I was out.

Define 'second leg against your head'?

Can't really picture this one. @_@

Or at least, I can, but have to make sure I'm picturing right. ^_^

Wow those are some nice chokes!

Oli, how do you feel about the Marcelo style guillotine from half-guard? Are you able to use it as a substitute in no-gi?

Define 'second leg against your head'?

Can't really picture this one. @_@

Or at least, I can, but have to make sure I'm picturing right. ^_^

If I remember correctly (which I doubt), he was on his back at a right angle to me. One arm fed through deep into the collar. Both of his hamstrings were pushing on my head with his arm in the middle. I don't think I have remembered it correctly and I have no idea how his jumping forward led into this kind of position.

I will ask him to do it to me today or my instructor if hes not there. It was kind of funny, I woke up seeing my instructors face, and I thought it was strange because I was sparring Zak. I could start hearing what he said and finally the moment came "shit I have been caught again".

I THINK (correct me if I'm wrong) he's doing the double underhook variation of the loop choke. It's harder to get, but I guess if you get good at jumping into it, it might work. Will play around with it this afternoon and see how I'd get out. From that angle, driving the head won't work, and you're probably in a lot of trouble. Will investigate!

Watch this space! ^_-

Take care,

Oli

I THINK (correct me if I'm wrong) he's doing the double underhook variation of the loop choke. It's harder to get, but I guess if you get good at jumping into it, it might work. Will play around with it this afternoon and see how I'd get out. From that angle, driving the head won't work, and you're probably in a lot of trouble. Will investigate!

Watch this space! ^_-

Take care,

Oli

I have just been watching Robson Mouras loop choke video (I collect videos and never get round to watching them, I thought this is a good time to check it out). I think it is similar to technique 10 (if you have the video), he (Robson) sets it up from the double underhook but Robson doesn't use the other leg on the head. Looking back, I don't think both legs were pushing on my head. One was blocking the arms and the other pushing on my head. I think he transitioned from using the arm to using the leg instead.

As you can see, im no good at describing positions. How he managed to get to this position I don't know.

Holy CRAP Oli?!?! We're going to start calling you "The Looper"!!! Straight puttin' foo's to sleep!! (I am now wise to your loopiness, however, and shall endeavor to defend it if ever we meet!)

I tried a simpler version of the loop choke today, simpler in that it wasn't the one done to me and it worked pretty well.

I did the one where I am standing and they are in the seated guard. I pushed his head once or twice, when he back forward I put on the choke. Held onto one of his arms and put my head in the space between his arm and his thigh to turn him over and finished the choke from there.

ps the guy who did the choke to me has now been nick named 'the neck hunter' by the Brazilian instructors.

Oli... I'm doing this right now:

notworthy.gif

Had a fiddle with the position this afternoon. Still not entirely convinced I'm doing it the way it happened, but jumping a double underhook loop choke, if it's on, you're basically going to have to sweep yourself to mount to get out. If you stay there, your only option is to use one of the arms around the legs to clear their hands off your head that are locking in the choke. If it's fully locked, this is really difficult, although easier than clearing the hands off from half-guard, you have a worse angle so it's pretty much bad news either way.

Loop choke is all prevention, to be honest. Once it's on, it's on, and the only real solution once it's fully locked is to barrel roll and hope they don't follow you properly and give up the sweep.

Might be doing a video at some point, if anyone's interested?

Will still continue to experiment though.

And I never loop choke people in the academy these days. No matter how much experience I have with it, everyone's aware of it and knows when to back out. Spoilsports. >_<

Take care,

Oli

yep definitely interested with a technique video on that

Had a fiddle with the position this afternoon. Still not entirely convinced I'm doing it the way it happened, but jumping a double underhook loop choke, if it's on, you're basically going to have to sweep yourself to mount to get out. If you stay there, your only option is to use one of the arms around the legs to clear their hands off your head that are locking in the choke. If it's fully locked, this is really difficult, although easier than clearing the hands off from half-guard, you have a worse angle so it's pretty much bad news either way.

Loop choke is all prevention, to be honest. Once it's on, it's on, and the only real solution once it's fully locked is to barrel roll and hope they don't follow you properly and give up the sweep.

Might be doing a video at some point, if anyone's interested?

Will still continue to experiment though.

And I never loop choke people in the academy these days. No matter how much experience I have with it, everyone's aware of it and knows when to back out. Spoilsports. >_<

Take care,

Oli

Next time I see him I am going to ask him how he did it. He does a lot of gi chokes that involve giving up position so he is going to have to at least concede 2 points as he is effectively sweeping himself.

Being good at the loop choke, even though they might be well aware of it makes it more difficult for them to pass as they may feel some types of passes are too high risk.

I looked at the video of you tapping Austin at the seni this year, I think it took 20 seconds, not 10.

I think I can speak for most people on this forum in saying that we are very interested in seeing videos of how you set up your submissions like your loop chokes and various ones you do from half guard. If I remember correctly you do some nice inverted arm bars from half guard and caught some good brown belts with it, I think it was the brown belt that beat Michael Russell.

Back