Loop chokes

Oli, would be AWESOME if you did a tutorial video on your loop choke. I have studied your competition videos for the last few months to try and figure out all the details of how you do it, but I have most likely missed something.

+1 for Oli spilling his secrets ;)

Actually the whole loop choke laboratory in my gym has sparked a new interest in gi chokes for me, and I made this short video on them today - you can find Oli's original halfguard loop choke near the end!! :):)

Gi chokes - Summer 2010 on Vimeo

+1 for more tutorials that anyone would care to add. (Loop chokes are so sneaky.) Thank you.

I like the loop choke and use it opportunistically, but I have no good "set-ups" for it. How do you "trick" people into giving you the loop choke Oli?, what setups do you use, what do you look for as a trigger for the loop choke? An instructional would be sweet.

I went for the loop choke a couple of times in class tonight. I got it once, my partner said he was seeing spots right away. Thanks Oli!

Oli... I'm doing this right now:

notworthy.gif

LOL yeah... I feel kind of dumb for even having tried to give advice in this thread. TS should ignore whatever I said and just ask Oli the loop choke god

Okay, will put something together. I did cover it at a seminar a while back, and I have a video of that, but it's not really detailed or clean enough, plus I do actually contradict myself a little, so will reformat the teaching and film something, possibly tomorrow night.

And calm with the worship, guys. It's a little creepy. ^_- I may have a fair amount of experience with it, but that doesn't mean people should discount their own approach. That's how we learn. @_@

hey oli just want to say from what i've seen youre halvguard game is amazing

im a halfguard guy myself, although my halfguard game is very different it's inspiring too see you submit guys from there all the time.

I always go for sweeps, which is the strongest aspect of my game, would really like to work on my submissions from there.

do you have a youtube channel or something?

hey oli just want to say from what i've seen youre halvguard game is amazing

im a halfguard guy myself, although my halfguard game is very different it's inspiring too see you submit guys from there all the time.

I always go for sweeps, which is the strongest aspect of my game, would really like to work on my submissions from there.

do you have a youtube channel or something?

Im exactly the same, I have a good number of sweeps, especially from the half guard but almost zero submissions from there (submissions being a big part of what BJJ is all about). At most I get a kimura here or there which gets stuffed by stronger guys holding on to their belt or gi trousers or sometimes a triangle if im lucky.

I'd be interested to hear/see what you're doing with your legs. Also, how deep is your initial grip on the collar?

Thanks Oli

man, i know f all about loop chokes, all i see is the hand go deep in a cross collar grip.

In fact reading this has been a bit of a relevation for me, I was always under the impression that I needed two hands inside the collar deep for a collar choke, when clearly you just need one lol.

The Looper strikes again!!!! Questions and comments...

First vid, Abu Dhabi trials. Is that you tapping fucking LOVATO?!?!?!?! I see the Humaita patch but the vid is small (and I'm old...and my eyes are bad...and blah, blah, blah.)

Third vid, that guy was like, "F THAT! I'm not getting into his guard?"

Last vid, nice! Nighty night.

if a choke is in it's hard to defend like all submissions... the best thing is to be aware of your opponent's grips at all times.

I've been playing with the loop choke this past week. Nice change of pace for me. Just thinking about it is a good reminder for me to keep some space and not get flattened out.

Oli, where's that instructional you promised???

I like doing the loop choke that ends up with me being in bottom of north south position. Its risky if the opponent gets his head out. To prevent the loop choke is remembering you have a neck, keeping your head up and watching out for grips.

Could someone explain how the Cole Miller one works?

Loving the victory cries after some of Oli's loop chokes.
UNLEASH THE BEAST etc

Back