Loop chokes

The Looper strikes again!!!! Questions and comments...

First vid, Abu Dhabi trials. Is that you tapping fucking LOVATO?!?!?!?! I see the Humaita patch but the vid is small (and I'm old...and my eyes are bad...and blah, blah, blah.)

Third vid, that guy was like, "F THAT! I'm not getting into his guard?"

Last vid, nice! Nighty night.

That was most certainly NOT Lovato. It was a brazilian black belt called Carlos something or other. Before rumors spread. @_@

And thanks. Honestly aiming to film a ten minute loop choke breakdown video in the near future. Been teaching it a lot lately and analyzing it so hopefully can give something in depth and definitive beyond the two instructional clips I already filmed. Which are okay, but not detailed enough. Will try and find the time in the near future!

Take care,

Oli

Could someone explain how the Cole Miller one works?

Exactly the same way as mine. It just takes a little longer, and he goes double underhooks rather than half guard. Honestly, it's probably stronger from there, but just much harder to setup there, but if you end up there after you've got it locked in, it's all good.

Can you have a play with the Caio Terra version (Thumb down) and report back on pro's / con's etc.

Have been. Drilling it works great, but live it's failing me completely. But, to be fair, I've only had one day. Will keep working it. Probably got too many ingrained habits that need to be adjusted, since the angles and everything are totally different.

Sorry. >_<

Have been. Drilling it works great, but live it's failing me completely. But, to be fair, I've only had one day. Will keep working it. Probably got too many ingrained habits that need to be adjusted, since the angles and everything are totally different.

Sorry. >_<

My wrists are quite weak due to a couple of bad wrist locks, so i find caio's version puts less pressure on my choking wrist... have not had a chance to really work with it live yet.

Bumpity bump bump for more loop chokes!

First, this guy deserved to be choked out. Geez. That was shaping up to be worse than the "worst jiu jitsu match of all time" we recently saw.

Second, still no instructional Oli

Worst jiujitsu match ever. ^_^

honestly awful. I think perhaps the worst thing about it was the guy looking to his coach/teammate the entire time.

Props to you for at least taking top position to ... well... do something.

EDIT: nice nickname "HarDrive"

where would you say most of the pressure is coming from? The arm that is blocking the head or the hand with the lapel grip? I have tried the loop choke a few times and I am generally unsuccessful. I can get it tight as hell, but I usually end up just burning my arms out. I attribute this from just having the wrong angle after locking it up.

Here's one of the thumb-in the lapel version (Caio Terra's version)

Wow, that was wacky. It looked like the guy in white was dominating? He just seemed to be flowing so much better and then *BAM*...good night.

Wow, that was wacky. It looked like the guy in white was dominating? He just seemed to be flowing so much better and then *BAM*...good night.

It was strange, for a couple of reasons. First, that there was a clear 'test' pressure where the guy on top should have realized he was in danger, and secondly, he never really gets a deep angle on the choke and locks it up. I mean, I can't deny it did the job, but he never really gets the full loop choke arm position, just puts him out. Odd. @_@

Nice work and great guard play though. Props!

@Oli-
Completely bit your style, and it worked like a charm.
93 guard, grip with my knuckles on the collar bone- up to my elbow- little tug down as I sit up and swim the arm thru- palm to the sky, top leg up and over = money.

@Oli-
Completely bit your style, and it worked like a charm.
93 guard, grip with my knuckles on the collar bone- up to my elbow- little tug down as I sit up and swim the arm thru- palm to the sky, top leg up and over = money.

Glad I could help. ^_^

Open mat today...one goal (of several) was to hit this choke.

First roll nailed it off a bull-rush into my 1/2 guard. Guy was snoring as soon as I sunk it in. Good stuff!

Any luck on making an instructional? This is now one of my best chokes but I need to revisit the details and make it even better.

I've been hitting these like crazy during training. It's like people don't expect it at all. I hit from guard, butterfly guard and during scrambles when I grab the head like I'm going for a gullitione, but then I switch to the collar. I need some details to finish. I usually put my right leg over the shoulter to finish and stablize.... Was oli's instructional posted yet?

I love the loop choke from half guard, one of my faves from half guard.

Oli have a match from the pro trials where I had the loop choke locked up but he escaped, think you could take a look and pick out the flaws? Well just checked you were Reffing lol

I love the loop choke from half guard, one of my faves from half guard.

Oli have a match from the pro trials where I had the loop choke locked up but he escaped, think you could take a look and pick out the flaws? Well just checked you were Reffing lol

Sure. Hit me.

And to previous:

Back