• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Long Island Gyms?

gk1313

White Belt
Reaction score
I am looking for an overall mma gym to work out at. I am very new to all this but I was a college athlete and would like to get back into great shape. Someone suggested I do the training and if I decide I could always compete. I am looking for a gym that takes on people that are brand new, one that has classes that you can learn and one I can do both stand up and work on the ground. Also should I join the gym with someone so I have a partner or is it fine to jin by yourself? I live in suffolk county and willing to travel a little. If you guys know of anywhere just post or or send a pm thanks.

There are probably 20 people who actively post on this board who are LI residents and are likely able to help you.

There is also a picture you can find that has 90% of the gyms in Long Island.

There are a bunch of gyms you'd probably enjoy training at. As far as gyms with legit grappling instruction, legit striking instruction, and available sparring in both for a new guy, probably not so many.

It's fine to join by yourself, and almost every gym accepts beginners. I don't know all the places in Suffolk (I live in Nassau) but for sure you have options. Worth noting that LI is very bjj-heavy.

Are you talking about my map?

limap3tb4.jpg

There are probably 20 people who actively post on this board who are LI residents and are likely able to help you.

There is also a picture you can find that has 90% of the gyms in Long Island.

There are a bunch of gyms you'd probably enjoy training at. As far as gyms with legit grappling instruction, legit striking instruction, and available sparring in both for a new guy, probably not so many.

I mean the instrutor doesnt have to be the best in the world im using it more as a great workout then looking to compete. Just want to get in shape and if I decide to take it further then great if not I would at least of had a fun time getting in shape and learning something new.

That is the picture I was talking about. I know it's missing a few gyms, and there are probably more I am unaware of.

The upside of the TS's location is that there are a lot of elite coaches in this general area. Which gym is the best fit for him depends on proximity, hours, and availability of the training he wants.

If gi or no gi grappling is what he wants, the choices are many. Adding additional wants will continue to whittle down the choices until he can make a decision.

TS, you should call ahead and schedule an intro at a bunch of the gyms which are closest and most convenient to your home or place of work.

Thanks for the map I will see which one has nogi grappling since that is more me, im not really into wearing anything but a t-shirt and shorts when I workout.

Try Serra's. I trained there a couple of times and loved it.

I train on LI as well....

Just make your choice based on what you are looking for; highest quality instruction, closest to your house etc.

Do what I (and probably a lot of people with multiple schools in the area did) - take a class at everyone of the schools that interest you and make your choice based on your experience.

I am in commack, im just looking for a place I can wear a t-shirt and shorts and roll around some and work on stand up.

KTFO sounds best for your location and what you're looking for...

I train at Panza's in Glen Cove and it is great. Small classes and Derek Panza himself teaches stand up which is great coming from a 3 time world champion, so you can't go wrong with that. Then I train BJJ with Soca at Bellmore. You can't go wrong with him either.

Winters could be a little hard. From Jan-March I wouldn't mind someplace else.

I'm in the port jeff area and I'm looking for something very similar to what the poster of the thread is looking for. I played baseball in college and since then I've just been going to the gym doing a mix of cadio/weights. It gets boring sometimes and since I've been a fan of mma for about 10 years.. I figured I'd check out an mma gym and get in the game a little. If anyone here can make a good suggestion.. I'd really appreciate it.

I'm in the port jeff area and I'm looking for something very similar to what the poster of the thread is looking for. I played baseball in college and since then I've just been going to the gym doing a mix of cadio/weights. It gets boring sometimes and since I've been a fan of mma for about 10 years.. I figured I'd check out an mma gym and get in the game a little. If anyone here can make a good suggestion.. I'd really appreciate it.

There's 2 good spots in that area, depending on what you're looking for one may be better for your needs.

Airborne MMA- Eric Uresk is the head instructor here and is a complete badass on the mats. Aside from being a great MMA fighter he's also a phenomenal no-gi grappler. his greco-Roman is the best I've ever encountered... which is why they call him Airborne in Las Vegas. He was well known in xtreme couture for throwing everyone around like ragdolls. This school does BJJ also, but focuses mostly on no-gi and MMA. it's very inexpensive by long island standards also. Here's the contact page: 631-721-0056

Airborne Mma Bjj | Facebook

Kioto BJJ- Master Mansor teaches here and he's a 9th degree redbelt directly under Helio Gracie. Nowhere can top this place for BJJ, but it's not that cheap, and they don't do much in terms of MMA. website: Kioto Brazilian Jiu-jitsu

I am familiar with both places and have a lot of friends at each academy. tell them I said hi when you go check them out.

Does Grand Master Mansor train at the Port Jeff location?

Back