Let's talk about southpaws

If you like pure punchers khaosai galaxy is worth a watch.
Khaosai is one of my favourites, the guy had ridiculous power for a little guy. He had really broad shoulders for his height.

Also I'm horrified that you actually admit to being a lefty. Such a shameful thing is usually kept secret.

dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif

Zab's uppercut was a thing of beauty when he was on. Bute's uppercut wasn't as good but it was also nasty as hell.

I always considered balance the most important part of determining whether you should fight southpaw or orthodox. I can barely stand on a skateboard let alone ride one but if you don't have decent balance then you're pretty much screwed. Same w/ boxing. I remember Tony Thompson was right hand dominant and when he first started training they were telling him to stand orthodox b/c he was right handed but he basically said "fuck it, I feel better standing with my right foot forward" so he fought southpaw instead.

Personally I am right handed and when I was training I'd fight orthodox, I felt the best that way. I think being a left handed orthodox is much more effective than being a right handed southpaw for a cpl different reasons, but I do believe your stance should come from how your balance is from either side and you should go bottom to top. Stance and footwork are more important than which hand is superior, imo. If it's even then it's up to what you prefer, I tend to like fighting with my weak hand forward, have a hard right hand, want to set that up with jabs and feints, and bomb it when it's there.

A hook is a finesse punch by nature so you don't need to have a ton of power on it to get a guy's equilibrium fucked up. Then again a guy like Donaire and many others who are converted orthodox can really genocide your braincells when they get that extra power with their dominant hand and land what is usually a punch made to catch you off guard/don't see with as much power as dudes like him can. It's a beautiful punch, a left hander hooking from orthodox. If I could fight that way I probably would but it's not the same doing it as a converted southpaw.

Back