Let's talk about southpaws

Yacob

Bill Joe Sanders can kiss my wrinkly nutsack
@red
Reaction score
Either im terrible at using search function or somehow this hasn't been discussed....

This is for us lefties....who are your favorite southpaws? Or rank the best if you want...

1. Pernell. Perhaps the most pleasing boxer to watch in history imo.

2. Hagler. Simply a monster. In the conversation for best middleweight ever, which is a wild accomplishment in that division.

3. Prince Naseem(I'll literally fight someone over him being a great fighter. He was awesome.)

4. Tiger Flowers. Just because. Dude racked up wins at a disgusting pace...130-something wins in under 10 years.

5. Antonio Tarver. One of my first favorite boxers that i remember noticing.

Honorable mentions to Zab Judah and Andre Dirrell and obviously Hector Camacho

Oscar was the best leftie to ever to do it.

Last edited:
Oscar was the best leftie to ever to do it.

Joe Frazier fought like a left handed orthodox guy more than anyone

Oscar is literally left handed though yes

Cotto was left-handed, hence wrecked guys with the left hook. Hagler was right-handed.

As for southpaws Lew Tendler deserves a mention, even if the footage isn't great. Too bad for him the LW and WW champs were named Leonard and Walker in his days.

Pernell was my personal favorite, vanilla answer yes, but sweat pea as mentioned was amazing to watch. More to do with him being an incredible athlete than being a lefty though, yeah?

I’d like to say you’re “forgetting” Errol Spence, Terence Crawford, and Vasily Lomachenko, but Crawford and Lomachenko basically let them selves fall into obscurity with these ESPN tier opposition. It’s easy to forget them with their opposition lately. . . I can’t call Spence or Crawford #1 or #2 P4P until they fight each other. We need a winner of that fight. Right now I’d say Canelo and Usyk have more impressive win resumes. Usyk’s a southpaw too right? If so, I’d have to say Usyk’s the highest active southpaw up on my P4P list currently. Just my opinion. I know people are gonna disagree. That’s the fun of these discussions though lol

I’d like to say you’re “forgetting” Errol Spence, Terence Crawford, and Vasily Lomachenko, but Crawford and Lomachenko basically let them selves fall into obscurity with these ESPN tier opposition. It’s easy to forget them with their opposition lately. . . I can’t call Spence or Crawford #1 or #2 P4P until they fight each other. We need a winner of that fight. Right now I’d say Canelo and Usyk have more impressive win resumes. Usyk’s a southpaw too right? If so, I’d have to say Usyk’s the highest active southpaw up on my P4P list currently. Just my opinion. I know people are gonna disagree. That’s the fun of these discussions though lol
I definitely like all 3....if i were doing it by who's best then Crawford would be on my top 5, Lomachenko too probably. They're extremely talented, i believe Crawford is the best pure boxer on earth at the moment when it comes to raw talent. He does amazingly unorthodox shit as if he's done it thousands of times. I don't see anyone else on that level in that certain aspect.

how has lomachenko let himself fall with opposition? within his last 5 bouts he's faced a top 10 p4p fighter and the number 1 ranked lightweight in the world in Linares(who Mikey himself ducked as he worked his way up to an ass whooping against Spence), unified a title against Pedraza when coming off shoulder surgery, beat his mandatory against Crolla, and then beat a game and tough Campbell while winning a 3rd title in the division.

Like, you only complain about it if you are specifically looking for ways to complain about it. Who else is there to fight? Mikey doesn't want the fight by proof of continuing to campaign at 147. Tank Davis has turned the fight down because he didn't feel he was ready and then cries about his own promoter talking about the potential fight.

Devin Haney literally just said he's game, so thats an option, AFTER the Lopez/Commey winner, which is by far and away the best fight that can be made at 135 right now by those in the division and is guaranteed to happen next.

So, who was he supposed to face? Everyone sees he's not a natural lightweight and maxed out at 135 unless it's against the right cherry picked opponent at 140.

how has lomachenko let himself fall with opposition? within his last 5 bouts he's faced a top 10 p4p fighter and the number 1 ranked lightweight in the world in Linares(who Mikey himself ducked as he worked his way up to an ass whooping against Spence), unified a title against Pedraza when coming off shoulder surgery, beat his mandatory against Crolla, and then beat a game and tough Campbell while winning a 3rd title in the division.

Like, you only complain about it if you are specifically looking for ways to complain about it. Who else is there to fight? Mikey doesn't want the fight by proof of continuing to campaign at 147. Tank Davis has turned the fight down because he didn't feel he was ready and then cries about his own promoter talking about the potential fight.

Devin Haney literally just said he's game, so thats an option, AFTER the Lopez/Commey winner, which is by far and away the best fight that can be made at 135 right now by those in the division and is guaranteed to happen next.

So, who was he supposed to face? Everyone sees he's not a natural lightweight and maxed out at 135 unless it's against the right cherry picked opponent at 140.
He's fighting very good fighters but even you listed THE fights in your counterargument

well for starters, you named the people who he should fight. Lopez/Commey winner, Devin Haney. Those would be good. Miguel Berchelt would be nice if he goes back down. He needs opponents to get the fans excited. Tevin Farmer would have people buzzing.

Now. More importantly. In the BIG picture. Take all the top guys Lomachenko has beaten. Does his resume come even semi close to Pacquiao’s? Barrera, Morales, De La Hoya, Hatton, Bradley, the endless others? Does Lomachenko’s resume come even slightly close to Canelo’s? Golovkin, Lara, Cotto, Jacobs, etc.. Look at the competition Usyk beat in that Cruiserweight tourney. Absolute madness.

Lomachenko is a hell of a fighter. The stuff you’ve mentioned is impressive. But compare the names on the resume. To that of Pacquiao’s or Canelo’s. To me it just doesn’t compare. I think Lomachenko is close. He’ll be there in a couple more fights. He needs an opponent that gets the fans buzzing. That excites the boxing world. I can’t look at his win resume though and feel blown away like I do with Pacquiao, Canelo, Usyk. It’s impressive. But not as impressive as theirs. YET! Surely it could change soon. What Lomachenko has done is very good. It’s not mind blowing though. Just think things need to play out a little more and further down the road. He’s a couple fights away just not there yet

Last edited:
well for starters, you named the people who he should fight. Lopez/Commey winner, Devin Haney. Those would be good. Miguel Berchelt would be nice if he goes back down. He needs opponents to get the fans excited. Tevin Farmer would have people buzzing.

Now. More importantly. In the BIG picture. Take all the top guys Lomachenko has beaten. Does his resume come even semi close to Pacquiao’s? Barrera, Morales, De La Hoya, Hatton, Bradley, the endless others? Does Lomachenko’s resume come even slightly close to Canelo’s? Golovkin, Lara, Cotto, Jacobs, etc.. Look at the competition Usyk beat in that Cruiserweight tourney. Absolute madness.

Lomachenko is a hell of a fighter. The stuff you’ve mentioned is impressive. But compare the names on the resume. To that of Pacquiao’s or Canelo’s. To me it just doesn’t compare. I think Lomachenko is close. He’ll be there in a couple more fights. He needs an opponent that gets the fans buzzing. That excites the boxing world. I can’t look at his win resume though and feel blown away like I do with Pacquiao, Canelo, Usyk. It’s impressive. But not as impressive as theirs. YET! Surely it could change soon. What Lomachenko has done is very good. It’s not mind blowing though. Just think things need to play out a little more and further down the road. He’s a couple fights away just not there yet
I agree with you and this is coming from someone that's been accused many times of being a Loma fan boy. Loma just hasn't been in a marquee fight yet. Mikey ducked it and unfortunately there is no one else around who can test him. I think Loma's career will end with fizz rather than a bang because he just hasn't got the fights.

I agree with you and this is coming from someone that's been accused many times of being a Loma fan boy. Loma just hasn't been in a marquee fight yet. Mikey ducked it and unfortunately there is no one else around who can test him. I think Loma's career will end with fizz rather than a bang because he just hasn't got the fights.

I’m glad we’re on the same page. I love Lomachenko. I just want to see him in a fight that gets everyone hyped. One they make a PPV it’ll be so big. He just hasn’t gotten that yet. I still think his biggest win was Gary Russell. That’s a huge effing win.

Give Devin Haney a couple more wins. He could be the one. In a year from now with a couple more wins I could see Haney vs. Lomachenko being on PPV. That would definitely have the “oh shit” factor that Lomachenko needs for one of his fights

I’m glad we’re on the same page. I love Lomachenko. I just want to see him in a fight that gets everyone hyped. One they make a PPV it’ll be so big. He just hasn’t gotten that yet. I still think his biggest win was Gary Russell. That’s a huge effing win.

Give Devin Haney a couple more wins. He could be the one. In a year from now with a couple more wins I could see Haney vs. Lomachenko being on PPV. That would definitely have the “oh shit” factor that Lomachenko needs for one of his fights
I hope so. I don't know if Haney is the goods yet, but he looks promising. If Loma were to fight him sooner then I see lots of detractors saying he was too inexperienced. And a Loma Lopez fight would probably have the same criticisms. My hope is that Garcia caves to pressure and moves back down to 135 to face off with Loma BUT I think he's too much of a coward to do that.

Is there anyone from 126-135 that could ever make Loma’s Resume looks as good? Even if he beat Commey, Lopez, Tank, and Mikey?

There’s no Oscars, Cotto’s, Marquez, GGG like Manny and Canelo had.

Is there anyone from 126-135 that could ever make Loma’s Resume looks as good? Even if he beat Commey, Lopez, Tank, and Mikey?

There’s no Oscars, Cotto’s, Marquez, GGG like Manny and Canelo had.

the past always looks better than the present. The era of Wilder, Fury, Joshua, Ruiz, probably seems like nothing compared to the era of Ali, Frazier, Foreman. You can bet in 50 years though people will probably look back and say damn that was an exciting era. These current boxers in 2069 suck compared to the fighters of 50 years ago. My answer to your question: Who knows! I’d say no right now. But that can change. Those names are exciting. If Loma actually adds all 4 of them to his resume that would make for a damn good resume

the past always looks better than the present. The era of Wilder, Fury, Joshua, Ruiz, probably seems like nothing compared to the era of Ali, Frazier, Foreman. You can bet in 50 years though people will probably look back and say damn that was an exciting era. These current boxers in 2069 suck compared to the fighters of 50 years ago. My answer to your question: Who knows! I’d say no right now. But that can change. Those names are exciting. If Loma actually adds all 4 of them to his resume that would make for a damn good resume
Well Commey/Lopez winner is happening for sure it seems. Don’t know if the loser ever happens. If Lopez loses, then he’s moving up

Back