Let's talk about southpaws

Also I'm horrified that you actually admit to being a lefty. Such a shameful thing is usually kept secret.

Also I'm horrified that you actually admit to being a lefty. Such a shameful thing is usually kept secret.
I'm mostly right handed but in boxing and most sports, I'd be considered a lefty. Left eye dominant but i eat and write my name righty, most other everyday stuff too

Either im terrible at using search function or somehow this hasn't been discussed....

This is for us lefties....who are your favorite southpaws? Or rank the best if you want...

1. Pernell. Perhaps the most pleasing boxer to watch in history imo.

2. Hagler. Simply a monster. In the conversation for best middleweight ever, which is a wild accomplishment in that division.

3. Prince Naseem(I'll literally fight someone over him being a great fighter. He was awesome.)

4. Tiger Flowers. Just because. Dude racked up wins at a disgusting pace...130-something wins in under 10 years.

5. Antonio Tarver. One of my first favorite boxers that i remember noticing.

Honorable mentions to Zab Judah and Andre Dirrell and obviously Hector Camacho

He was great but hes a piece of shit as a human being though! My mate renovated his pad a few years back and he got me a signed photo. He also didn't have much good to say about him. Honestly its my least favourite bit of boxing memorabilia

Haglar would probably be my favourite southpaw

I'm mostly right handed but in boxing and most sports, I'd be considered a lefty. Left eye dominant but i eat and write my name righty, most other everyday stuff too

Yeah my brothers the same as that, right handed but sports he's better on his left side. Makes no difference, hes fckin useless at all sports

Ive definitely got a far better jab and lead left hook/uppercut with my left. I'm certainly stronger on my right but my technique is fckin horrible as soon as I go southpaw. I never used to switch stance when I first started boxing years ago, I just think Im stuck in my ways now. It always really impresses me to see fighters that can seamlessly switch stances and not have an obvious weakness on either side. I remember fury beating some fairly anonymous british fighter a few years back and he decided to fight only southpaw. he didn't look completely natural but still absolutely dominated him. That is what made me a fan of his tbh. Well imperssive

Sergio Martinez anyone?

Pernell is my favorite tho.

Also, Oscar is a converted south paw like Cotto, no?

Yeah my brothers the same as that, right handed but sports he's better on his left side. Makes no difference, hes fckin useless at all sports

Ive definitely got a far better jab and lead left hook/uppercut with my left. I'm certainly stronger on my right but my technique is fckin horrible as soon as I go southpaw. I never used to switch stance when I first started boxing years ago, I just think Im stuck in my ways now. It always really impresses me to see fighters that can seamlessly switch stances and not have an obvious weakness on either side. I remember fury beating some fairly anonymous british fighter a few years back and he decided to fight only southpaw. he didn't look completely natural but still absolutely dominated him. That is what made me a fan of his tbh. Well imperssive
My coach tried to convert me to orthodox but it was really bad...i legitimately looked like someone who never threw a punch in their life

In your normal stance, you should have kind of a "twitch" when you throw punches...in orthodox instead of that twitch, it's like I'm piecing together parts that don't fit instead of having that "twitch" where everything happens in a split second

I honestly would rather be orthodox. Easier to teach, easier to know more about orthodox since 90 percent of boxing bouts are 2 orthodox fighters. Just seems easier to become an expert since there's more out there to study. But it'd be years before i could confidently fight like that

Yeah my brothers the same as that, right handed but sports he's better on his left side. Makes no difference, hes fckin useless at all sports.

Legit Lol. You got me crying from across the atlantic, mate.

Adonis was a very fun southpaw to watch, cannon both to the head and body. Do pure lefties look down on converted southpaws? B/c Andy Lee's hook was fucking brutal. PDL was my boy back in the day, that lil psycho Juan Ma Lopez (think he might've been another converted southpaw, not sure). I have a weird obsession with converted fighters for some reason which is why I mention it.

Several Cubans have been really good southpaws. Off the top we got Rigo, Lara, L. Ortiz, Casamayor. Just recent ones but all very good to great in their own right (left).

Obviously Sweat Pea (RIP), he was probably my favorite of all southpaws, one of my all time favorites, second favorite might be Jose Luis Ramirez, tho. Love watching him.

My coach tried to convert me to orthodox but it was really bad...i legitimately looked like someone who never threw a punch in their life

In your normal stance, you should have kind of a "twitch" when you throw punches...in orthodox instead of that twitch, it's like I'm piecing together parts that don't fit instead of having that "twitch" where everything happens in a split second

I honestly would rather be orthodox. Easier to teach, easier to know more about orthodox since 90 percent of boxing bouts are 2 orthodox fighters. Just seems easier to become an expert since there's more out there to study. But it'd be years before i could confidently fight like that

Dude that sums up perfectly how I feel as well.! Well said!
There’s no connection between my back foot and my fist. It feels weird as fck and I’m arm punching to generate the power. That’s just my lead hand. My straight left is straight up fckin laughable! I’d be too embarrassed to throw it at a proper gym. I save those for the bags I have set up in my yard, where no one can see

I’d rather be a southpaw tbh. I’ve sparred/fought very few when I think about it, and I just can’t get my head around things being backwards. I’m very susceptible to a straight left and I’ve been in all sorts of trouble against guys I’d batter, if they just fought the right way round

Can’t even hold the pads for a southpaw.

Dude that sums up perfectly how I feel as well.! Well said!
There’s no connection between my back foot and my fist. It feels weird as fck and I’m arm punching to generate the power. That’s just my lead hand. My straight left is straight up fckin laughable! I’d be too embarrassed to throw it at a proper gym. I save those for the bags I have set up in my yard, where no one can see

I’d rather be a southpaw tbh. I’ve sparred/fought very few when I think about it, and I just can’t get my head around things being backwards. I’m very susceptible to a straight left and I’ve been in all sorts of trouble against guys I’d batter, if they just fought the right way round

Can’t even hold the pads for a southpaw.
Yeah that's true...you are always going to be more experienced facing orthodox than the other guy is facing southpaw, unless his main sparring partner coming up was southpaw i suppose which is possible

But yeah i couldn't even jab left handed...i would hesitate, it is strange. Maybe if i hadn't done so much southpaw previously it would be better but i almost had a panic attack, it felt that strange and unnatural and then i pictured sparring like that getting absolutely lit up lol

Either im terrible at using search function or somehow this hasn't been discussed....

This is for us lefties....who are your favorite southpaws? Or rank the best if you want...

1. Pernell. Perhaps the most pleasing boxer to watch in history imo.

2. Hagler. Simply a monster. In the conversation for best middleweight ever, which is a wild accomplishment in that division.

3. Prince Naseem(I'll literally fight someone over him being a great fighter. He was awesome.)

4. Tiger Flowers. Just because. Dude racked up wins at a disgusting pace...130-something wins in under 10 years.

5. Antonio Tarver. One of my first favorite boxers that i remember noticing.

Honorable mentions to Zab Judah and Andre Dirrell and obviously Hector Camacho

If Andre Direll makes the list then so should adonis stevenson. he kind of spammed his straight left but he changed speeds and was often able to get it off. he even hurt gvosydk with it.

hell if andre direll makes this bute might as well at this point too.

Style wise I like Chris Byrd. He had a great pawing jab that would frustrate his opponents and was deceptively quick for a heavyweight.

hell if andre direll makes this bute might as well at this point too.
I like Adonis a lot. He hit hard as fuck.

But yeah it wasn't by who was best...just pretty much guys i like who popped into my head

After seeing a phase in the Stand Up forum, where dudes who clearly don't train, were asking strangers on the internet if they should learn orthodox or southpaw; this is a refreshing thread.

Not that I feel like he belongs in this thread, but Victor Ortiz is a right handed southpaw.

Back