Lets post some of our favorite fights because Coronavirus

I love visiting some lesser known fights in this thread
I'm sure you've all seen this fight many times. Mannys skills wwrent as great in this and it's amazing how he was considered a small 130lbs. I had this fight 7-5 Morales but it was very hard fought and one of my favorite Pacquiao fights despite the L. Manny sure bulked up and improved his skills after this.

Any Morales fight is a classic, notice after this L Manny got bigger AND faster. Incredible feat, dunno how he did it.

Any Morales fight is a classic, notice after this L Manny got bigger AND faster. Incredible feat, dunno how he did it.

Yeah. I don't have any facts other then eye test so I'm hesitant too say PEDs on great fighters. Also when he said no too random Olympic drug testing he said he got one day before Morales 1 and he felt weak in the fight.

^ I get your point mate—Huck was a brave, strong man—but FFS he had the hands-down ugliest style I've ever seen in a ring. I found him almost completely unwatchable. Even when he was getting beaten up he made the other dude look terrible.

I understand that this is probably entirely due to my aesthetic blinkers; I remember his fight with Povetkin as nearly unwatchable—they missed simultaneous uppercuts at one point close-in in a corner, both tried to fall in for a clinch but both missed each other with the clinch & sort of stumbled past each other & nearly fell out of the ring—but everyone seemed to agree it was some sort of classic war. I think I'd rather eat my own shit than watch it again.

Povetkin, BTW, was either off the gear that night (he gassed after like a round & a half) or suffering what I like to think of as "Smol Heavyweight Syndrome" when a dude used to fighting bigger guys at heavy gets given a smaller, faster target & doesn't know WTF to do with them (see also: Holyfield vs Czyz).
Povetkin was sometimes lazy earlier in his career, I always assumed that he only got on a real program after the Klitschko fight when he suddenlyy got jacked.

Not one of my favorites, but I been watching a lot of 80s HW fights this week.

Just interesting how much taller Bonecrusher is, but only weighed in 14 pounds more than Tyson. He looks like he should be 20-25lbs bigger, size difference looks kind of goofy.

Shame on us if this fight hasn’t been mentioned, a 100% Collazo was a problematic guy for anyone

This. He was a textbook B+/A- fighter. A lefty who was slick, strong, and tough enough to give anyone problems but not quite good enough in those 3 areas to get over the hump against the very best guys (Shane, Thurman, iirc offhand).

I'll have to watch again, but remember thinking Ricky had nothing left at the end and was hanging on.
Thats true, I suppose. People do tend to forget what happened early on if the last couple of rounds are dramatic.

I did not want to make another "tyson" thread, even tho this isn't really a Tyson topic. But I am watching this now and at the started, they say there is supplemental scoring in case of a draw?

Timestamped here.

I had not heard of that before, did they not allow draws with this rule set? This fight was a UD, so I didn't see that rule in action.

@Seano @Hagler are you familiar with this rule?

Briggs vs. Lennox Lewis is underrated, a fun fight with Briggs going for it early on, while Lennox starts slow and gets hit.

Shannon's first loss against Wilson is also a fun fight to watch.

Briggs was a glass cannon, but that combination of speed, size and power was really fun to watch most of the time.
He also showed that he isn't a quitter against LL and Vitali.

I did not want to make another "tyson" thread, even tho this isn't really a Tyson topic. But I am watching this now and at the started, they say there is supplemental scoring in case of a draw?

Timestamped here.

I had not heard of that before, did they not allow draws with this rule set? This fight was a UD, so I didn't see that rule in action.

@Seano @Hagler are you familiar with this rule?

I've heard of the ref scoring the fight in the event of a draw.

I have heard that too, but I have heard it worded where the ref will decide it, not, "use supplemental scoring".

Just thought ti was weird all around.

Good fight tho.
New York State Athletic Commission Rules-June 29th 1956-amended May 1st 1984:

Section 217.1 Points. All bouts shall be scored by threee judges. Unless otherwise approved by the Commission, the following scoring system shall be used by the judges in each boxing bout to determine which if any contestant has won a round. In each round, such officials must observe (a) clean hitting,(b) effective agressiveness,(c) defense, and (d) ring generalship. At the conclusion of each round, each official must score each contestants performance on thosse four items, and if the boxer is just slightly superior to his opponent in such round, olne point must be scored for such boxer and the score of zero for his opponent. If a boxer is clearly superior to his opponent in any one round, two points should be scored for such boxer and the score of zero for his opponent. If a boxer is overwhelmingly the winner of the round and the round is therfore one-sided, three points should be scored for such boxer and the score of zero posted for his opponent. If in a one sided round such boxer scores one or more knockdowns, four points should be posted for the boxer and the score of zero posted for his opponent.

217.2 Knockdowns. The officials may score a knockdown in any one round as either one or two points in favor of a boxer who scored suchknockdown, and each official must determine for himself which value shall be placed on the knockdown.

217.3 The tally and the decision. At the conclusion of the bout, each official must tally up the rounds and the points he has awarded each contestant and submit his scorecard to the announcerAfter such scorecards have been checked by the commission representative they must be returned to the announcer, who shall announce the decision of the officials from the ring, and in the main events the announcer shall call out the the rounds and the points awarded by each official. The boxer who has won the most number of rounds on the scorecard of the official is the winner on that officials scorecard, except when a boxer has not been credited with the greatest number of rounds, he may be declared the winner of the bout on an officialos scorecard if, in the judgement of the official, such boxer has defintely proven his spuperiority over his opponent, has finished in better physical condition than his opponent, and has been awarded by each official a greater number of points than those awarded by such official to the opponent.. If the official has not awarded the decision as thus set forth, and if there is no winnner by rounds, the decision must be awarded to the boxer with the greatest number of points. If no decision has been awarded and the rounds and points are both inclusive, the winning boxer is the one who in the officials opinion is in better physical condition at the e3nd of the bout. The boxer who has been awarded the decision on two of the official's scorecard is the winner of the fight.

Just got done watching Lara VS Hurd on pbc's YouTube. I hadn't got around to watching it.

This gem of a fight was on the Hopkins/Dawson 1 undercard. Easy to forget considering the super disappointing ending to that PPV fight. This was an action packed and bloody war.

Jorge Linares vs Antonio DeMarco

This gem of a fight was on the Hopkins/Dawson 1 undercard. Easy to forget considering the super disappointing ending to that PPV fight. This was an action packed and bloody war.

This is the fight where Emaunel Stewart compares Linares to Sugar Ray Robinson right before be gets stopped.

i may be watching too much MMA but i feel like this was an early stoppage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back