Let’s talk about Spider-Man games for a minute

90 50

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So, with the sudden popularity of the PS4 Spider-man game, from the outside looking in the popularity and excitement amount some seems like it’s the first one.

Now, I have to admit I thought it was too (at least for recent gen consoles), but it is not, and not by far.

There are a whole Slew of spider man games for 360 for example. But I don’t remeber any hype for it whatsoever.

Where these older games horrible, and or absolute flops and if yes why?

Is it mainly because of the sudden increase in popularity of spider-man again with the new Avengers tie in and the newest Reboot of the character?

I watched a couple gameplay vids of a couple of them and they didn’t look outright horrible. But i didn’t watch too much, the graphics didn’t look absolutely sub par or anything?

I really just noticed this as my son ( who is 5 and loves Spider-Man) keeps asking for the spider-man game for Christmas, but we don’t have a ps-4.

I’m very reluctant to buy him a ps-4 for Christmas for one game. So that’s out. Plus he wants a switch(which I think is a better fit for him anyway, and he’s somewhat outgrowing his leap pad).

So I find out that there are some decent looking 360 Spider-Man games, cool ill get one of those for him for the Xbox.

NOPE, they aren’t backwards compatible, looking into it , the reason seems to be that Activision lost the license to Sony, and they can’t do the emulator for them for the ONE.

There were a few copies of spider man 2 made for the ONE, saw one on eBay used for 229.00 buy it now WTF??

Seems like a total C Block from Sony on purpose so if you want a Spider-Man game, buy a ps4, or rebuy an old used 360 if you don’t still have one, just to play these dang games.

Sorry I kind of went off on a tangent, but back to the real question, were these games hyped like crazy before and i just missed it as I was out of gaming really at the time(but my older kid never mentioned them, BUT he was never into Spider-Man like the younger one is) or was the flop of the second reboot of spider man the reason these flopped.

Where they any good??

I think they were more cash grabs to co-incide with the films for the amazing series that weren't as well recieved, plus there were a few other games in the PS3/360 era that were more of just using the licence and trying different things. Web of Shadows and Shattered Dimensions come to mind plus there was Edge of Time.

ALL of them were bad to terrible. Even the highly praised "Spider Man 2", that pretty much boiled down to swinging around aimlessly, and monotonously fighting thugs.

I think there was one Arkham Asylum knock off, that wasn't awful.

I hear they finally got it right with the new one though. Haven't played it though.

ALL of them were bad to terrible. Even the highly praised "Spider Man 2", that pretty much boiled down to swinging around aimlessly, and monotonously fighting thugs.

I think there was one Arkham Asylum knock off, that wasn't awful.

I hear they finally got it right with the new one though. Haven't played it though.
One of the gameplays I watched for a few minutes looked like gta as Peter Parker.

While more an anecdote and positively unhelpful, I remember playing a Spider-Man game on my Genesis back when (cover was black and yellow for any Sega dawgs in the house) that had news reels and villain-hacked broadcasts between stages alongside cool music and really funky audio for effects – where everything sounded like a hit on a thinly metalled bin. I loved it, rough edges and all. Final boss looked like Dana White, ha.

It's hard for me to speak to any industry hype, to your point, because above for me was the 1990s and as a kid, I would see something at the store rather and bring said holy relic to my father's attention; that being the sum of it. I should be tarred and feathered as a Pro owner who hasn't yet played the new Spidey but I really haven't played a Spider-Man game since. My sling-and-swing skills are rustier than a New York sewer at this point. :p

Were you meaning more the decade following, mate, the 2000s?

The PS1 one was pretty good and used the Tony Hawk engine.

While more an anecdote and positively unhelpful, I remember playing a Spider-Man game on my Genesis back when (cover was black and yellow for any Sega dawgs in the house) that had news reels and villain-hacked broadcasts between stages alongside cool music and really funky audio for effects – where everything sounded like a hit on a thinly metalled bin. I loved it, rough edges and all. Final boss looked like Dana White, ha.

It's hard for me to speak to any industry hype, to your point, because above for me was the 1990s and as a kid, I would see something at the store rather and bring said holy relic to my father's attention; that being the sum of it. I should be tarred and feathered as a Pro owner who hasn't yet played the new Spidey but I really haven't played a Spider-Man game since. My sling-and-swing skills are rustier than a New York sewer at this point. :p

Were you meaning more the decade following, mate, the 2000s?
Lol
And yes

360 generation and up

People were excited for the most recent one because it was being developed by a studio with a great track record of awesome games. If it was just some shitty movie tie in or something it would have made money but wouldn't have been nearly as big of a deal. People got hyped even more when it turned out to be a supposedly really good game, still haven't played it myself yet.

This is the last Spiderman game I recall playing

610xw+aeiLL._SX466_.jpg

Probably the last Spider-Man game I bought was for PS1, the first one. I may buy the PS4 game if I find it dirt cheap.

RE: used games, check Amazon, then click the price to see the list of sellers and you just might find something you're looking for in very decent condition cheap from some state's Goodwill listing on Amazon. I bought a handful of old games I couldn't find brand new that way.

Spider-Man 2 was highly regarded. The new one is a big deal because it's a return to form to Spider-Man 2. Plus, it's developed by Insomnia who is a highly regarded developer so the expectations were high. Not to mention. it has a huge budget and original storyline.

It's a great game. Graphically, I'd say it's best looking graphics I've ever seen on a console along with Red Dead Redemption 2. The gameplay is a lot of fun but does get repetitive. The storyline was mostly good and the acting was very good. Very enjoyable and I recommend it to anyone that likes a solid single player storyline driven game.

Wrong game. Spiderman 2, not amazing Spiderman. You can get it used for 3 dollars on Amazon.
It says right on the box, amazing Spider-Man 2

Unless the one you are talking about is just spider-man 2? For One?

Share teh links pleaze

images

It says right on the box, amazing Spider-Man 2

Unless the one you are talking about is just spider-man 2? For One?

Share teh links pleaze

Spiderman 2, not Amazing Spiderman 2. They are both movie based games. The one everyone is talking about came out in the ps2/Xbox era.

Spiderman 2, not Amazing Spiderman 2. They are both movie based games. The one everyone is talking about came out in the ps2/Xbox era.
Ah, one of the ones I was talking about that you CANT play on a ONe

My point still stands

Old school ones in playstation 1 are great and the one on ps 2

Back