Lesson from a BB vs. Purple Belt...

The Man Monster

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Okay I realize this is probally the most stupid question ever but how much difference does it make training under a BB then a Purple Belt?
I've recently been presented with the opp. to train with a BB as opposed to training with a purple belt but the thing is it'll cost 3x the money to train with this guy.
It will run me $150 dollars per month to train 1 hour per week in a classroom setting and 1 hour per week in a private setting. So basiclly should I pay 3x more a month for 2 hours per week to train with a BB or should I save my money and train 8 hours per week with a Purple Belt.

Personally, 8 hours a week with the Purple belt.

Purple clearly. If your a beginner its plenty of instruction. Plus you could roll more and spend less. 150 a month is a lot of money

See I was thinking I should stick with the Purple Belt, but I see people on Sherdog saying shit like "Training under a BB helps you out a 100 times more" and shit like that.
I suppose I could take both classes (money isnt a problem) but I didnt know if training with a BB was THAT big of a deal.

Time on the mat is just as important as quality of instruction, go with the purple.

train under the purple.

you're still a beginner, you will absorb the same amount from the purple and the bb.

Dude, you will have a LONG LONG time before you run out of things learned from a good purple belt. I say go with the purple. It depends on the teacher I guess. ive seen Blues that are far better teachers than purples, just not quite as good in application. Just because someone is like a 5x Champion in something dont mean there a good teacher.

No, I've been grappling for 2 years now, so I'm not a beginner... I'm not a Black Belt, but I do know my way around the mat. The thing that makes me want to go with the BB is that he goes out of his way to train his competition team. Say I get the 2 hours per week (1 private, 1 class) and I join the competition team I rack up another 4 hours per week when they plan on competing.

But I'm guessing the Purple is the way to go so I'll take your advice.
Also of note is that a BB can better understand where my weakness is and fix the problem, whereas the Purple Belt just floods me with technique but no understanding of theroy.

The Man Monster said:
See I was thinking I should stick with the Purple Belt, but I see people on Sherdog saying shit like "Training under a BB helps you out a 100 times more" and shit like that.
I suppose I could take both classes (money isnt a problem) but I didnt know if training with a BB was THAT big of a deal.

its true black belts are needed but if your just starting a purple belt will help you tons

If money is not a problem continue training with the purple for the mat time, and take occational privates with the Black Belt to amp up certain aspects of your game. I'm a purple belt, and the insite my instructor can give to a student versus what I could give is night and day. A purple has enough experience to give you good training, but for a lot of the details that can really lead to break throughs in your jiu-jitsu the black can help out more.

Train with the purple for the bulk of the time to get a decent foundation. Then if you see holes in your game, pay for a few private lessons with the BB. Most will offer some sort of hourly rate. They often also ask you what you'd like to work on so the technical benefit might be worth the extra money. I used to train with a purple belt and now currently train with a BB and can honestly say its worth the money. The level of detail to which each move is described and articulated is amazing. Not to fault the purple I started with but the BB is just much better. If money is tight go with the first option. If not, just remember - the better the people you train with - the better you'll be.

it truly depends on the instructor. Some blue belts can teach better than some brown belts. It depends who is more tenative to your needs. You should try both and see who you'ree learning the most from. I would say that usually the purple will teach you a lot more of what he knows and the black will teach you nothing but the basics. That could be good or bad..all depends. If the purple is doing well, no reason to leave.

The Man Monster said:
No, I've been grappling for 2 years now, so I'm not a beginner... I'm not a Black Belt, but I do know my way around the mat. The thing that makes me want to go with the BB is that he goes out of his way to train his competition team. Say I get the 2 hours per week (1 private, 1 class) and I join the competition team I rack up another 4 hours per week when they plan on competing.

But I'm guessing the Purple is the way to go so I'll take your advice.
Also of note is that a BB can better understand where my weakness is and fix the problem, whereas the Purple Belt just floods me with technique but no understanding of theroy.

sorry i assumed u were a beginner =/

Sounds trite, but it depends on the individuals

My immediate assumption like everyones is the purple would be "bang for your buck" to get the most mat time. As long as you are still learning & being challenged - stick with them.

You could get some privates from the BB or attend his regular classes occasionally & get another perspective from him, but stay with the purple for the volume of your training.

Brian McLaughlin said:
Who is the black belt who is the purple?

I am very surprised that it took this long for someone to ask the most important question

Forget the belt. Many acadamies have different standards for training so the blue could very well be better than the purple.Train with both of them and then decide who is the best for you.

Oops, just noticed you were talkign about a black belt.

Yeah he is almost certainly gonna be better than the purple but you should try them both and decide on the experience.

still, if the black belt is quality (most still are) then does no else find private lessons at under 40 bucks/hour (basically if you split it up ignoring the classroom seting) to be, though a bit expensive, not too terribly outrageous?

Also of note, it takes MOST people around 7-10 years to reach BB status, often more than 7 sometimes less (this is my understanding anyway) whereas Reylson Gracie says the following:

"We have a Black Belt Program that takes app. 300 to 360 one-on-one lessons to reach the Black Belt as a student. This means if you were to come twice per week it would take almost 3 years to achieve your Black Belt. Remember, the lessons are given one-on-one which is the fastest and most effective way to absorb the necessary knowledge and skill."

Back