Lesson from a BB vs. Purple Belt...

What he's saying is private lessons are better. It's kind of like smaller class sizes, you know you always hear everyone complaining about that for public schools, same applies for anything you learn.

as far as attaining the knowledge and instruction, yes.

But give a man an armbar, and he'll put on you.

Teach a man the principles behind an armbar and let him roll with several different people until he learns how to feel different people, and he'll pull that shit from anywhere at anytime.

Very good anwsers, from very helpful people... I think what I may do is spend a little extra and get 2 hours of private from Reylson and stick with training at my normal gym.
Figure in 2 hours per week from a BB and 2 hours of mat time with a purple and I'll be good to go.

Yeah, if you can afford both, then go for it. Also, from your one post, it doesn't sound like the purple belt is the best teacher (if he's flooding you with techniques). Also, maybe get some privates from the purple??

The Man Monster said:
Also of note is that a BB can better understand where my weakness is and fix the problem, whereas the Purple Belt just floods me with technique but no understanding of theroy.

Correct, but by the time you are a purple belt he will probably be a BB, or at least grown in knowledge of theory.

I'd go with the purple. You have only been grappling for two years. Yeah it may seem a lot but the purple most likely has 5+ years on you. The fact that you are getting MUCH more mat time is also a big plus. You should go with the purple and take a private once or twice a month to supplement your training. That's what I would do in your situation.

at some point between 2-3 years I stopped wanting to learn new techniques because there would be too many to remember and combine, nor would I have the skill to do them on someone good.

you may be ready for BB instruction if you are feeling the purp is just flooding you. he's teaching you like a beginner.

not enough mat time? find some buddies to roll with outside of class.

Go with the purple belt. Sine you are just a beginner you will be working on a lot of basic moves, and the purple belt will have good knowledge of them. All the basic guard passes, submissions, and sweeps can be covered by the purple, or even an advanced blue belt. Seriously man, you'd be surprised at how much shit a purple belt actually knows.

That Black Belt seems to be paying a lot. I'd go with the purple for now. Obviously his teaching can only get you so far, but for a beginner, it's all you need. I started with a purple belt for my first year of training and it was def. good as we learned basic stuff and got to roll a lot.

As a beginner, a black belt will not help much more than a purple. Black belt techniques are beyond you at this point. Basics take a long time to master. Mat time is more important now, train with the purple. You will know when to move on to BB instruction.

$150 is a lot of money to be paying if you're only going to be training for 2 hours a week, even if it is a black belt giving you instruction

The Man Monster said:
No, I've been grappling for 2 years now, so I'm not a beginner... I'm not a Black Belt, but I do know my way around the mat. The thing that makes me want to go with the BB is that he goes out of his way to train his competition team. Say I get the 2 hours per week (1 private, 1 class) and I join the competition team I rack up another 4 hours per week when they plan on competing.

But I'm guessing the Purple is the way to go so I'll take your advice.
Also of note is that a BB can better understand where my weakness is and fix the problem, whereas the Purple Belt just floods me with technique but no understanding of theroy.

if that is really the case, meaning that your purple belt instructor can't help you fix your weaknesses, then go with the BB cause that means that the purple belt isnt a good instructor. however, i personally have trained under a purple belt and a black belt at different schools and i love the purple belt's style much more. it really depends on teh instructor and just because a guy is a purple belt doesnt mean he doestn know as much as a black belt.

kobe bryant would prolly be a shitty coach but he's a great ballplayer. likewise, Bill Walsh prolly wasnt the greatest football player but he was a great coach. or even look at the olympic gymanstics coach, Bella karolyi. the man never did a touch of gymnastics in his life yet was coaching olympic champions.

the best thing to do is try them both out and see who's style works best for you

Funny thing about BJJ is that no matter how many positions you know, you're only promoted when you can PULL THEM OFF while rolling. I was once told that by the time you reach purple belt you will not see any "new" positions. The difference B/W a purple and BB is application (I got my purple after 6+ years). So the things a purple KNOWS and a BB KNOWS will not be that different.
That being said, you need to train with the person who gives the best instruction, and where you can PRACTICE the positions you learn. A private with a BB is useless if you can't roll with those your own skill level and PRACTICE the things you learn.
Also If you have never rolled with a BB it is a very humbling experience. The first time I did I was amazed that this little 128 lbs man just tapped me at will, without breaking a sweat (I am no slouch on the ground)

If you plan on becoming a professional fighter or grappler, I strongly suggest you ask this important issue to a qualified source. If you practice BJJ on an amateur basis, then I'm 100% positive that the purple belt is the way to go. They have material to teach you for like 4 years, plus the extra time on the mat will be much more useful in real life and in medium terms.

Hope it helps, and remember, I'm not an expert, it's jsut my humble opinion.

depends on the purple belt, and the black.

There are some serious jokes out there.

Back