Leon Edwards says no to Masvidal. Would rather wait for the next title shot-Should the UFC allow it?

I see a lot of posters saying he doesn't deserve a shot but if not him then who? Other than Colby.

Fair point but in his fight with Usman he was ahead on the scorecards before a questionable stoppage although I do not think he could have recovered.
I am not sure if you are mistaken or doing the Colby Gaslighting thing? Assuming you are mistaken:
1. Colby was not ahead on the scorecards. One judge had it 3-1 Colby. One judge had it 3-1 Usman and one had it 2-2. That's not ahead.
2. the stoppage was not remotely questionable. That was easily a 10 --8 round if it wasn't stopped. Usman broke his jaw FFS. Colby was so busted up he ran straight to the back for medical attention.
3. The judging was sad again. The inability to differentiate one fighter touching and one landing with power doing damage. The judge giving Colby 3 rounds were rounds decided by strike differentials that are so close power should be the deciding factor.
1st was 39-34, 2nd was 41-40, 4th was 36-35. If those are 10-9 Colby for the simple number of strikes without considering power and damage then how is the 3rd not a 10-8? Usman outlanded him 29-8. The 5th was 37-19 and if it wasn't stopped it would have been a much wider margin.

Him rejecting a Masvidal fight with the backstory and beef is a dumb decision. He should ask for the right amount of money for it but be open to the idea. Beating Masvidal in Florida or something similar would catapult him more than losing a decision vs Usman, and open doors to him unlike anything else. And it's not a bad matchup for him. The UFC is already looking for ways to leap frog him, he's just asking for Dana to give the shot to the winner of WB vs Burns by doing this.

No they shouldn't allow it but then Covington has been able to duck Masvidal, Wonderboy, Burns etc. so the precedent for "ducking fights" has been set. The UFC seems to be the only boss that can't take charge of its workers. But then again, when you pay peanuts why wouldn't these fighters pick and choose their next opponents? Utter crap really.

Exactly. He loses in his title bid... he beats a washed up fighter, and he leaps ahead of a 10 fight win streak?

The UFC is trying to make: Usman/Covington, Masvidal/Edwards. If Usman and Mas win, then what? You going to have Usman/Mas 3? Dark horse candidate of course is the Thompson/Burns fight, but again that is bad matchmaking as well. No one cares to see that!

The matchups (with those six guys should be):
-Covington/Burns (built in Brazil hatred hype, new opponents)
-Usman/Edwards 2 (Usman likely wins again, but Edwards is the rightful #1)
-Masvidal/Diaz (whichever, winner gets a lot of buzz and $)
-Thompson has to try and get in where he fits... maybe take a chance with Chimaev.

I am not sure if you are mistaken or doing the Colby Gaslighting thing? Assuming you are mistaken:
1. Colby was not ahead on the scorecards. One judge had it 3-1 Colby. One judge had it 3-1 Usman and one had it 2-2. That's not ahead.
2. the stoppage was not remotely questionable. That was easily a 10 --8 round if it wasn't stopped. Usman broke his jaw FFS. Colby was so busted up he ran straight to the back for medical attention.
3. The judging was sad again. The inability to differentiate one fighter touching and one landing with power doing damage. The judge giving Colby 3 rounds were rounds decided by strike differentials that are so close power should be the deciding factor.
1st was 39-34, 2nd was 41-40, 4th was 36-35. If those are 10-9 Colby for the simple number of strikes without considering power and damage then how is the 3rd not a 10-8? Usman outlanded him 29-8. The 5th was 37-19 and if it wasn't stopped it would have been a much wider margin.

Strike totals aren't that useful tbh. A lot of Usman's shots were body punches (although they were good ones). So although Usman was landing harder, Colby may have been landing more head shots.

I thought it was 2-2 going into the 5th but I thought Usman's rounds were more decisive than Colby's. And then I thought Colby was winning the beginning of the 5th before getting hurt.

With regard to the stoppage, I don't think there was any way Colby was winning after getting dropped.

Regardless, I want them to fight again in large part just because I want to see the wrestling match up.

I think Leon vs Colby for the next shot makes sense. Leon is on a win streak and Colby hasn’t fought a legitimate contender in over three years yet we have people saying he deserves a title shot.

Meh, I'd agree in a vacuum, but Mas got 2 consecutive title shots for beating Nate, Conor got his LW title shot after going 1-1, RDA got his title off a win over Nate. What's the points in taking the fight while on a 9 fight winning streak if it isn't getting you to a title shot?

Leon Scott was asking to fight masvidal the whole time and mas refused it, so why should he take it now when mas is coming off losses?
Leon doesn't and prob never will draw what either Mas or Conor does/did. All he can do is beat the guys who draw money and try to make it work. If they don't give him a shot now,what should he do?

Leon is a very good fight, but he's not exciting. The last we saw of him, he was hanging on for dear life trying not to get KTFO by Diaz in the closing moments. I don't think it's going to go well for him if he thinks he can just sit on the sidelines and wait for a title shot. The only fans screaming for that to happen are related to him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back