Lennox Lewis- goat

He doesn't have any great wins. Tyson and Evander were past their prime when he fought them. He didn't fight Bowe or Ibeabuchi. His Vitali win was just based on a cut in a fight he was losing.
Great fighter but not the goat.
In fairness Bowe tossed his belt in the garbage and Ike fought two good fights then disappeared due to legal trouble ..... can’t fault Lewis for either of those imo

I personally have him 5th

Ali
Louis
Holmes
Foreman
Lewis

Vitali was giving him the business and just got a bad cut.
Lewis was old , unmotivated and preparing for Kirk Johnson.....Still busted Vitalis face up and was gaining momentum at the time of the stoppage imo .....Lewis was losing 4 rounds to 2 , but was coming on strong imo

I think tyson’s resume is closer to rocky’s then it is wlad or foreman.

id probably have him just outside the top ten
Wladimir doesn’t belong in the top 10 imo ...Tyson much better than him imo

I personally have him 5th

Ali
Louis
Holmes
Foreman
Lewis
i dont really do linear rankings, in any sport. However, this looks quite good to me. These would be the top tier for me, and i like your order, too.
The next tier would be Marciano, Frasier, Liston, Tyson, Holyfield, probably both Klitschkos, Fury now, perhaps... hard to place him.

I have a hard time with anyone before Louis. A lot of segregation, lack of people fighting the best based on color, and also nationality, for that matter. Plus, the sport wasnt studied and perfected, yet. They dont look very good to my eye. But if someone puts Tunney, Dempsey and Johnson in that tier, I cant really complain.

Lewis was old , unmotivated and preparing for Kirk Johnson.....Still busted Vitalis face up and was gaining momentum at the time of the stoppage imo .....Lewis was losing 4 rounds to 2 , but was coming on strong imo
Ya, i think he weighed close to what he did against Rahman the first time, after filming Oceans 11. Lewis’ biggest weakness was laziness and arrogance, and not having an Ali type chin that could bail him out. Although, that said, he only came in fat twice, to my knowledge.
All that said, i still think Vitali was the real thing, moreso than Rahman. Maybe im wrong. I feel like Vitali was actually the better Klitschko, but Wlad got there first and that was an impossible roadblock for the older Vitali, so he never achieved what i think he would have.

Anyone read lewis's best i fought from the ring magazine. Every answer is just a humble brag about himself. Can't give any fighter a compliment without talking about how great he is. That being said he was one hell of a fighter.

Ya, i think he weighed close to what he did against Rahman the first time, after filming Oceans 11. Lewis’ biggest weakness was laziness and arrogance, and not having an Ali type chin that could bail him out. Although, that said, he only came in fat twice, to my knowledge.
All that said, i still think Vitali was the real thing, moreso than Rahman. Maybe im wrong. I feel like Vitali was actually the better Klitschko, but Wlad got there first and that was an impossible roadblock for the older Vitali, so he never achieved what i think he would have.
I feel Vitali was the better Klitschko as well

Anyone read lewis's best i fought from the ring magazine. Every answer is just a humble brag about himself. Can't give any fighter a compliment without talking about how great he is. That being said he was one hell of a fighter.

I just read it, and its not as bad as you say. Enioyed the read.

However, that article claims that he is a chess wizard, which is utter bullshit... I beat him pretty easily on chess.com a while ago and I'm not a chess wizard, LOL... Not yet.

However, that article claims that he is a chess wizard, which is utter bullshit... I beat him pretty easily on chess.com a while ago and I'm not a chess wizard, LOL... Not yet.
Most other guys will just say 'boxer' had a great jab. It was powerfull too. He will say 'boxer' had a great jab. But mine was better or i still beat the shit out of him. He can't just give a compliment and leave it at that.

You played Lennox Lewis in chess?

where do you rank him?
13th ish ..... I might actually rate Wladimir higher on my all time list due to his longevity, but I feel Vitali fares better in a head to head sense because of his better chin

Ali
Louis
Holmes
Foreman
Lewis
Marciano
Frazier
Holyfield
Tyson
Liston
Dempsey
Charles
Walcott
Wlad
Vitali
Johnson
Fury
Baer
Norton
Bowe

Off the top of my head without much thought

Last edited:
13th ish ..... I might actually rate Wladimir higher on my all time list due to his longevity, but I feel Vitali fares better in a head to head sense because of his better chin
close to Riddick Bowe, by any chance?
Their careers both could have been more, but they were both huge guys who seemed able to beat anyone.

You played Lennox Lewis in chess?

He's quite often online on chess.com, you can challenge him if you want.
But I had to send him severel requests until he accepted... When he finally did, I knocked him out.

Yeah I'd say he has a good shout at being a top 3 all-time HW. He has some questions about who he faced but when you get into detail that happens with nearly all the other HW's as well. Ali for me is clear cut #1 and then it's probably Joe Louis, and then Lewis because I can't think of any other HW who deserves the spot more.
Larry Holmes and Foreman, like that other fella said.
Not that I pick either over him necessarily, but those would be the guys who are in his ballpark.

He's quite often online on chess.com, you can challenge him if you want.
But I had to send him severel requests until he accepted... When he finally did, I knocked him out.
what kind of rating is he at? always curious about how good he actually was.

what kind of rating is he at? always curious about how good he actually was.

1059 right now.... But he started at chess.com in 2012, and I started November 2019... So he's definitely not that good when a rookie like me beats him, LOL.

I did learn chess from wise old men when I was a little boy, but haven't played since.

1059 right now.... But he started at chess.com in 2012, and I started November 2019... So he's definitely not that good when a rookie like me beats him, LOL.

I did learn chess from wise old men when I was a little boy, but haven't played since.
ya, 1059 isnt very good.
I was on one of those sites for a while and hovered between 1300-1400, and im pretty casual, although i did at one time read a book on openings which seems to set me up well whenever i play the average person.
I thought he would be much better.

cool to know, though. little bit of trivia next time someone brings the subject up

Back