Lennox Lewis- goat

crodor3

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hi guys. Was looking through boxrec last night at work and was looking through LL record. Crazy the veritable who’s who of heavyweight boxing that he bested. Even excluding his wins against greats like Holyfield and Tyson some of his mandatories included very good fighters like Morrison, Akinwande, McCall, Mercer, Briggs, Golota, Bruno, Rahman, Tua.
I was a huge boxing fan from way back but I guess I overlooked Lennox a bit back then. I honestly think he has a great claim to heavyweight Goat.

Check out his last ten fights for perspective.
Vitali tko rd 6.
Tyson tko 8
Rahman ko 4
Rahman lost by Ko( easily avenged in his next fight)
Tua Ud
Botha tko 2
Grant ko 2
Holyfield ud
Holyfield draw.
Granted he lost one via ko and had a draw that he went on to avenge in immediate rematches. Guy was a machine!

I think he is 3rd to Ali and Louis in all time heavyweight rankings

but still nothing to sneeze about

If you're not British, I'll allow the difference in opinion. If you are British, I'm calling bullshit.

I'm partial to saying that his best win was Vitali Klitschko who he beat during his prime years.

He doesn't have any great wins. Tyson and Evander were past their prime when he fought them. He didn't fight Bowe or Ibeabuchi. His Vitali win was just based on a cut in a fight he was losing.
Great fighter but not the goat.

He doesn't have any great wins. Tyson and Evander were past their prime when he fought them. He didn't fight Bowe or Ibeabuchi. His Vitali win was just based on a cut in a fight he was losing.
Great fighter but not the goat.

That harsh, imagine Bowe hadnt been a total shitbag by throwing the belt in the bin, and Tyson wanted no part of him in his comeback for good reason.

Ibeabuchi...really?

Pros - Beat everyone he faced. Decent size and talent for hypotheticals.
Cons - He could put on a stinker and he did get beaten by a couple of journeymen.

His resume passes the "who he beat" test but lacks in the "when he beat them" category. His two biggest wins were against 36 year old former greats. But he won those and generally looked great against B level HW's. Avenged his two losses. Took Vitali lightly and still won (imo his best win).

That harsh, imagine Bowe hadnt been a total shitbag by throwing the belt in the bin, and Tyson wanted no part of him in his comeback for good reason.

Ibeabuchi...really?

bowe ran and Ike was a felon. But I guess if people are gonna hate...

I have in my top 3. Ali, Louis and Lewis. Ali is number 1. I used to rate Louis over Louis but think Lewis's resume has become more impressive over time.

He's overrated. There is no logical justification for a number 3 ranking.,

I don't really like or do the whole atg ranking thing but I can say Lennox is a Top 5 all time hw for me. Never been a huge fan of his (not that I dislike him, he seems like a nice guy and a great fighter I just never fell in love w/ him) but the man could fucking fight. Revenged both his losses, made a grown man break down in the ring. Had a great offense could box when he needed to and be a savage when he needed to be. He was a helluva fighter. He could rate top 3 arguably, but for me he's gotta be in my top 5, no doubt.

He's overrated. There is no logical justification for a number 3 ranking.,
His resume speaks for itself. ITs almost all quality opponents from the early 90s until he retired.

He beat Mike Tyson didn't he.... yeah but Tyson was 180 years old. :)

No doubt Top 3... and his prime could hold all the belts in 2020.

Ibeabuchi...really?

I don't doubt Rock Newman was protecting Bowe. Ibeabuchi was a really good fighter. Really good.

The point is though that Lewis lacks a really great win.

His resume speaks for itself. ITs almost all quality opponents from the early 90s until he retired.

Resume isnt that great. Didn't fight the best when it mattered. Morrison and Tua are overrated wins. I get the brits fanboy over him. But he is the most forgiven hw of all time.

Back