Lennox Lewis- goat

Resume wise he's clearly a top 3 all-time hw for me.
Vitaali became a smarter fighter afterwards, but all those injuries held him back, he never became the fighter he could have been.
Before the fight with Lewis he had already an acl surgery, the shoulder injury and disc surgery. The fight happened in 2003 and between 2000 and 2002 he had one injury per year. Then there was the back injury that forced him to retire for 4 years and another acl and meniscus injury in 2010(?).

Yeah I'd say he has a good shout at being a top 3 all-time HW. He has some questions about who he faced but when you get into detail that happens with nearly all the other HW's as well. Ali for me is clear cut #1 and then it's probably Joe Louis, and then Lewis because I can't think of any other HW who deserves the spot more.

Yeah I'd say he has a good shout at being a top 3 all-time HW. He has some questions about who he faced but when you get into detail that happens with nearly all the other HW's as well. Ali for me is clear cut #1 and then it's probably Joe Louis, and then Lewis because I can't think of any other HW who deserves the spot more.
That’s what I’m saying. Maybe a bit of hyperbole by me saying all time best but put him in a ring with any heavyweight in any era (I know different argument) and you could legit make an argument that LL beats all of them, especially given that he was sort of one of the first “super” heavyweights (one of the first really big guys that could fight) I don’t know...I guess his resume took me by surprise a bit. Just needed that signature win over Mount Whitaker or someone like that to put him over the top ;)

yeah he’s in my all time top 5. Maybe top 3. He fought and beat everyone who was prepared to share a ring with him, in easily one of the most competitive HW divisions of all time
I think that was what struck
Me the most. HW was stacked back then. Even his less impressive wins ( in hindsight) against guys like Morrison and Grant were pretty great at the time so it’s hard to go back and say those weren’t good wins. I even look at guys like Botha and Golata as pretty good wins those guys were tough and could fight. They’d be top 5 now imo so still good wins for LL

Frazier
Holyfield
Arguably tyson
Larry Holmes
Jack Dempsey
George foreman

Etc.

How does Holyfield have a better resume at HW than Lewis? He clearly doesn’t, and that’s without the fact that he should be 0-2 against Lewis!

How does Holyfield have a better resume at HW than Lewis? He clearly doesn’t, and that’s without the fact that he should be 0-2 against Lewis!
Yea that’s a no go on Holyfield. Guy was very good but lost twice to bowe, twice arguably to Lennox. Huge heart but he does not stack up at all to Lennox

Yea that’s a no go on Holyfield. Guy was very good but lost twice to bowe, twice arguably to Lennox. Huge heart but he does not stack up at all to Lennox

The draw was a disgrace. It’s was even more clear cut than the rematch that he won

I’d have him top three but I am fairly biased when it comes to Lewis

1. Ali
2. Joe Luis
3. Lennox Lewis
4. Holmes
5. Holyfield
6. Wlad/Mike Tyson
8. Foreman
9. Fraizier
10. Marciano

Resume wise that'd be my list, h2h is another topic.

Respectfully

tyson that high to me is nutty.
I don't really think it is. Maybe a LITTLE high. The problem with the heavyweights is that the majority of them only have one or two truly great wins. Tyson was, still is and likely always will be the youngest fighter to unify the HW titles. Thats a pretty major accomplishment. Even post prison Tyson managed to rack up a few respectable wins and win a bunch of titles.

I have in my top 3. Ali, Louis and Lewis. Ali is number 1. I used to rate Louis over Louis but think Lewis's resume has become more impressive over time.
who do you have 4? Holmes?

I don't really think it is. Maybe a LITTLE high. The problem with the heavyweights is that the majority of them only have one or two truly great wins. Tyson was, still is and likely always will be the youngest fighter to unify the HW titles. Thats a pretty major accomplishment. Even post prison Tyson managed to rack up a few respectable wins and win a bunch of titles.
I think tyson’s resume is closer to rocky’s then it is wlad or foreman.

id probably have him just outside the top ten

Ranking guys all time is so hypothetical and opinion based that it doesn’t really interest me that much. That said, I think for Lewis, he’s clearly, easily, one of the best HW’s of all time. You can take the approach that he’s the last ATG or if you want to be more generous to Vitaly and Fury, then Lewis has a big feather in his cap getting a stoppage win over a fellow ATG in the twilight of his career.

Ranking guys all time is so hypothetical and opinion based that it doesn’t really interest me that much. That said, I think for Lewis, he’s clearly, easily, one of the best HW’s of all time. You can take the approach that he’s the last ATG or if you want to be more generous to Vitaly and Fury, then Lewis has a big feather in his cap getting a stoppage win over a fellow ATG in the twilight of his career.

I couldn’t have said it better.

Some of Lewis' B side wins are more impressive to me than his a side wins. Maybe not by a mile, but enough to make me think about it.

Last edited:
Prime Foreman vs Prime Lewis. If Mercer gave Lennox hell, surely George would have whooped him?

His record certainly isn't top 3 or even like top 10 to be honest

But i factor in skills and Lewis was about as good as any there

Top 3 is pushing it but i don't have any huge problem with it

Prime Foreman vs Prime Lewis. If Mercer gave Lennox hell, surely George would have whooped him?
I feel like that's not how it works

I feel like that's not how it works

Joking aside, Lewis was one shot KOd twice. When I envisage him in with the likes of Prime Foreman or Tyson, I can't imagine it going well.

I think people who discount the win against Vitali because, in their view, he was losing the fight miss the point. Even if they are correct it is a PLUS for Lewis. That's what great fighters do isn't it - find a way to win when the chips are down?

Last edited:
Back