Legacy and Woogie brotherly log

ok, birthday weekend. no training. well except for mah liver.

jits+boxing+lifting tonight.

all around fantastic night for training.

Jits:
we continued working passing the guard by standing, starting with the drills this time instead. i got muuuchh better at using the pass than last week. still having trouble breaking the closed guard, however im using the knee in the butt and bringing my other leg back even when they have a hold of my leg.

when i was on bottom for the drills, i worked grabbing a sleeve and a lapel and it was to great effect. sometimes ended up climbing onto them, then pulling them back down. i tend to work mostly triangles, actually exclusively in fact. and when i can't get them, i'm finding it very easy to transition for an armbar.

my shrimping is on, however i'm having some mild trouble submitting from side mount. i guess it's position over submission anyway, i'm still new to gi and all that.

after the drills we did some live rolling for a 5 minute round. went with one of my better training partners, always spanks me in no-gi. we had a good scrap though, he caught me in a triangle and armbar, and i worked my escapes, ultimately sweeping him into mount with this sweep we did a while back involving the hip movement for a kimura fromt he bottom, then swinging your leg like a lever. i also used the sitting guard pass with one knee up to gain side control, and got knee on belly. had a solid double when we ended up scrambling, the ability to grab on the gi really helps. my scramble has been kind of an issue as i sometimes just let the person gain top position, not sure why. it's getting better though.

Boxing:
same thing as last week with the getting hot. dancing, bein on your toes, loosening up the shoulders then some real low squat jump types to get the knee bend.
3x3minute rounds

then shadowboxing for 3x3 minute rounds. really trying to focus on imagining someone in front of me, and working on certain combos for offense as well as defending. on offense i'm really feeling the double and triple jab, especially off a slip. defense i like to slip, then come right uppercut, hook, cross. 2 things i've been working recently.

after that did 5x2 minute rounds of sparring. it was only using the jab, and trying to incorporate head movement and slipping instead of just jabbing each other in the face back and forth. i felt real confident in my jab, i've really been trying to make it quick and snap the jab, and it's paying off. i've also been doubling and tripling the jab up. i'm really diggin parrying their jab, then coming right back with my own, lands solidly most of the time.

however i keep circling to once side, and my coach pointed it out, when i started circling to my other side, my partner kinda froze and i could tag at will.

Lifting:
push

my bro started while i was boxing so i missed bench, but
OHP:
75x5
85x5
85x5
115x4
115x4 (had to use my hips a bit for the last one.)

Weighted dips:
bw+10x5
bw+15x5
bw+25x5

all in all solid night. hoping to run tomorrow then back in the gym wednesday.

Jits was neato. We did side control stuff tonight along with some stand up gaurd pass and then some rolling at the end of the night.

Side control on bottom and top i did really well. I stayed calm and worked on my technique and it payed off. I stayed in control in both situations fairly well.

Stand up pass i did really well again on the bottom. Got a few tap tap taps and again worked on my technique and going at my own pace. As for being on top i had some difficulty once or twice due to having a partner going 100%.

Rolling was fun. I did well but was a little tired so ill have to get my conditioning up.

As for lifting. And i did my normal shake smedule today.

Bench
45x10
55x5
65x5
75x5
75x5

OHP
55x8
65x5
65x5
70x5
70x5

And a poop load of dips. I just did as many as i could till failure cinco times.

oh and i forgot to mention.

in the boxing sparring, our trainer pointed out something extremely apparent. since we were only jabbing, you really see the openings and set ups you create for other punches.

establishing the jab FTW

tonight's class was dedicated to taking the back and escaping when someone has your back.

used "seatbelt" hold where you have one arm under the armpit and one over the shoulder and you grip on their chest, try to pull your elbows together and pull back.

we then learned our first gi-choke, i guess a cross collar? from the back. don't feel like going into detail but it involves getting an inside hold real high on the lapel like at their neck, then the other on the opposite. you pull across with the top one and down with the other. really helps if you move back and stretch out. also helps to use your lower hand to feed the lapel into your choking hand, you can get much higher making it much tighter.

we then learned an escape:
you grab their wrist real deep to prevent from choking you, and trying to rotate it out helps. you then use your leg to bring their one hook in close, then straighten it out and cup their heel and push it off. after this, slide your butt to the matt and try to slide out, first holding their gi pant leg to keep them from getting it back, eventually trapping with each leg that passes over.

you then come up on top into side control.

we then did drills involving escaping from back. when i had my partners' backs, i choked a few times. when people had mine, i got choked a few times, but had some escapes and near-escapes. however i feel my offense is wayyyy better than my defense from the back.

lifting:
pull

high pulls:
3x5x115

BOR:
5x115
5x135
5x135

Weighted Pull-ups
5xBW
5xBW+10
5xBW+10

possibly gym tomorrow if i'm not totally exhausted from my long shift at work.

oh and if anyone can point me towards some sick vale tudo shorts that'd be great. i want some for my tourney cause i know for a fact i'd look phenominal in them.

jits was awesome tonight.

did more taking the back, escaping the back, transitions from losing the back to mount. rnc stuff.

then did some legit wrestling from the feet to start preparing for the tournament. did real well. would go into detail but my dog may be dying so that means i'm on the verge of suicide.

training no-gi and gi tomorrow.

So wrestling, i'm awful at it.

learned a proper double leg today, did a bunch of rounds of wrestling.

I need to work on getting deep with my shot, go heel, toe, knee, then keep my head and back straight. after that, cut the corner and cup my hands on the calves and turn them.

focus on the details a little more for those back escapes dude. you're missing some key little things which will ehlp you in the long run.

for instance in that escape where you're trapping an arm then escaping out to side control. i'd write it up like this (assuming its the same or similar escape).

*i prefer to trap the arm that is usually underhooking my arm, so i'll just tell you my escape from here*

so i've trapped the underhooking arm. i'm going ot fall to that side and make sure i have the arm trapped well. why? cause if its loose, they can pull their arm out and get to mount easier. anyways, arm is trapped. my first priority is to get my shoulders and head onto the mat, so that my upper body is near parallel. with the arm that has their arm trapped, i'm going to reach down and slap the hook free. then i'll slide my butt over a bit to trap this leg underneath me. this whole time one of my arms has been protecting my neck, i'm going to take this off my neck now and put it on their free leg at the knee. i'm going to lock out my arm so its completely stiff. i'll hip out once more, now when i'm nearly free, i'll take my arm that was trapping their arm, and also put it on that same knee, again locking my arms out. i'm going to hip out again and start coming to my knees, as i drive their knee to the ground, forcing their hips to face away from me.

this is an example of how there are a lot of little important details in a technique, all of which will make the technique higher percentage.

i'll take note of that for this weeks training, thanks mayne.

Back