Learning the art of kicking. Pointers?

Great discussion guys.

I have a question.

So far when kicking, I feel that the kick is best when I over exaggerate my hips as if I'm trying to hit the target with my hips rather than my shins. When I do this, I work my hips as if they are a person swinging a rock in a sock and my shins/legs just happen to be the rock in the sock that releases the force produced. Does this make sense and sound reasonable as to how I should be kicking?

Should be bumping the thread in a week or so with some updated kicks.

You've got the right idea. A lot of awkward kickers seem to focus too much on putting their foot where it's supposed to go. Leg kicking is no better than arm punching. Use them hips, son!

I think that makes sense for the comparison of a low kick vs a cross. I was told by my instructor tonight (as well as in this post now, heh) that I should be pivoting on my posted foot so that my heel faces my target almost, does that strand true with low kicks as well?

That drill looks awesome, I'll probably be employing that during my next session.

Thanks.

Response to bolded text.
1.) Got it, I'll be implementing that heel rotation asap. My instructor said that was the biggest flaw that caused the most inconsistencies in my kicks.
2.) My kicking ROM is pathetic, is there a stretch (static or active) that I can do to help this? (aside from the exercise posted in the video) I already do groiners, exagerated mountain climbers, and fire hydrants daily to help get my hips/groin open.

Thank you.

What's your hamstring flexibility like? If they are tight then it will really hold back your kicking because they are the antagonists. Check this video. Do the test. Then do the stretching and test again. Now practice your kicks and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. Static stretching has it's detractors but it has it's place. Also look up piriformis stretches. Most peoples are tight which will affect your level of internal rotation which you need for kicking.

Great discussion guys.

I have a question.

So far when kicking, I feel that the kick is best when I over exaggerate my hips as if I'm trying to hit the target with my hips rather than my shins. When I do this, I work my hips as if they are a person swinging a rock in a sock and my shins/legs just happen to be the rock in the sock that releases the force produced. Does this make sense and sound reasonable as to how I should be kicking?

YES! Muay Thai kicking styles vary but commonly the leg is described as just a whip that is powered around by the hips.

Bump for video.

My rear leg is feeling pretty lethal now compared to when I first began all of this, but I still can see/feel that I'm not throwing it consistently powerful while still being fully balanced.

My front kicks feel horrible though. Getting my hips into front roundhouse kicks still feels like the most awkward thing ever, probably mostly due to leaning on it all of those years boxing; although, they are starting to improve from watching myself in previous videos, so I'm still feeling okay about it all.

Give me your thoughts on improvement.

What's your hamstring flexibility like? If they are tight then it will really hold back your kicking because they are the antagonists. Check this video. Do the test. Then do the stretching and test again. Now practice your kicks and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. Static stretching has it's detractors but it has it's place. Also look up piriformis stretches. Most peoples are tight which will affect your level of internal rotation which you need for kicking.

YES! Muay Thai kicking styles vary but commonly the leg is described as just a whip that is powered around by the hips.

I don't know how great my hamstring flexibility, I have nothing to really compare it to, haha. Is there a specific stretch that we are using to test the hamstring flexibility? (link to a video possibility?)

Lol a bit off topic, but when I watched the video the sound was a bit out of synch - that combined with the sound of you kicking the bag reminded me of an old school kung fu movie lol.

Through your hip more into that left leg kick bro, you're barely moving it at all. Should be rotating quite a bit more than that. Good work, keep it up anyways

Bump for video.

My rear leg is feeling pretty lethal now compared to when I first began all of this, but I still can see/feel that I'm not throwing it consistently powerful while still being fully balanced.

My front kicks feel horrible though. Getting my hips into front roundhouse kicks still feels like the most awkward thing ever, probably mostly due to leaning on it all of those years boxing; although, they are starting to improve from watching myself in previous videos, so I'm still feeling okay about it all.

Give me your thoughts on improvement.

next time you video tape , show your footwork , its difficult to comment without seeing your footwork ,

kicking with the front leg requires different footwork and termination of your torso twist ,

front leg round kick :

staying in your fighting stance , put more weight on back leg and simply pick front leg up and turn your hips and leg over , you would use his type of kick on the inside of knee or thigh of opponent , not very powerful but you can get a good whip on it ,

sliding front leg round kick :

from your fighting stance , your back foot slides up to (heel to heel ) or parallel to your front foot and your front leg kicks .

step over round kick :

your back foot steps past your front foot by a whole step and then you deliver the kick with what used to be your front leg , this is desiged to close the distance ,

switch kick :

from your fighting stance , your front foot steps back first and your back foot steps forward , in doing so it loads up what used to be your front leg and you deliver the kick ,

that is the footwork for those kicks , the most important part of performing these kicks is how to load them up so that they are powerful , that is all in the way you twist your torso which then loads up and turns the hips and gains momentum into the legs ,

eg.. with the step over round kick and the switch kick , your upper body rotates or twists with the step , just like as if you were running forward , work on this part , as it is the most important part to getting power on the kick ,,, this is why you dont feel confident or uncomfortable with the kick is because your upper body isnt part of the kick yet .

in my earlier post i made a comment about practicing flowing motions as complete motions , not all broken down for teaching purposes , this is exactly why i said that , the little nuances and flow gets missed when its all broken down and done slowly , just my opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

skip to the part where baukaw does switch kick

Last edited:
next time you video tape , show your footwork , its difficult to comment without seeing your footwork ,

kicking with the front leg requires different footwork and termination of your torso twist ,

front leg round kick :

staying in your fighting stance , put more weight on back leg and simply pick front leg up and turn your hips and leg over , you would use his type of kick on the inside of knee or thigh of opponent , not very powerful but you can get a good whip on it ,

sliding front leg round kick :

from your fighting stance , your back foot slides up to (heel to heel ) or parallel to your front foot and your front leg kicks .

step over round kick :

your back foot steps past your front foot by a whole step and then you deliver the kick with what used to be your front leg , this is desiged to close the distance ,

switch kick :

from your fighting stance , your front foot steps back first and your back foot steps forward , in doing so it loads up what used to be your front leg and you deliver the kick ,

that is the footwork for those kicks , the most important part of performing these kicks is how to load them up so that they are powerful , that is all in the way you twist your torso which then loads up and turns the hips and gains momentum into the legs ,

eg.. with the step over round kick and the switch kick , your upper body rotates or twists with the step , just like as if you were running forward , work on this part , as it is the most important part to getting power on the kick ,,, this is why you dont feel confident or uncomfortable with the kick is because your upper body isnt part of the kick yet .

in my earlier post i made a comment about practicing flowing motions as complete motions , not all broken down for teaching purposes , this is exactly why i said that , the little nuances and flow gets missed when its all broken down and done slowly , just my opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

skip to the part where baukaw does switch kick

I will try getting my footwork next time, maybe I should invest in a tripod for my phone or something.

Thanks for the comprehensive list of kicks, it's very helpful!

That video of Baukaw was insane, I didn't even notice that he was switch kicking. I just thought those were his front round kicks. :redface:

Back